Possibly moving to Sydney - tips/advice about everything welcome!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

My company may be sending me to our Sydney office for the next 2+ years, which is really awesome news. It's not official yet, so don't try and sell me your bike for gobs over the asking price just yet!

I've got a handful of questions related to riding and living - since those are two things I plan on doing while I'm there!

Moto/Transport related:
Could I get by with just a bike/public transit if I live near and work in Sydney? Climate seemed warm enough, and even if it gets cold, I'm coming from Ohio and have ridden in sub freezing temperatures once or twice
On that note, what's the MC market like there, where would I look for a used one (craigslist looked sparse - ebay?)? Anyone have any good dealers in the area they'd recommend?
License - I think I'm exempt from the LAMS bikes based on the time I've had my license here and my age 2.5 years and 26yo.
How tough is the written rider/drivers license test? Seemed a bit more arduous than ours.
I'll probably be leaving most of my tools back here, what is an average hourly rate for a mechanic?
Insurance/Registration - costs, differences from the US if you're familiar with our system.

Living in general:
Rent/Week - seems like a weird way to list things - do people usually not rent long-term (yearly?)
What are the best places to live near enough to Sydney to commute to city center?
I heard there's no good Mexican restaurants - this could be a dealbreaker.
Taxes/Healthcare?

I'm sure there's tons more I should be asking about - but here's a good start.

Thanks in advance for anything, I look forward to riding with you when I'm down there!

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A potential welcome to Sydney.

Firstly depending where you live in Sydney you can get away without a car quite easily, i have one and it only gets used to go surfing, all year riding is quite easy here, but we do get some wet months at the end of autumn and winter.

The used bike market is getting better with riding becoming more popular, you will be better off checking gumtree and bikesales.com.au for used bikes. With the falling Aus$ you should find the prices reasonable.

you might be able to transfer a licence, you'll have to work this out, but if not you'l have to do the LAMS thing, no one is exempt if starting from scratch.

insurance/rego on my fz is $1000 a year all up including personal liability.

rent is always weekly here, dont know why, you can live in a place for years and it wont change the system, its also not that cheap, you'll work that out.

Lots of good places to live in sydney depending what you are after, east of the city you have great beaches, north and south also beaches and near some nice rides and parks, and our version of mountains to the west, the the CBD is very eastward.

there are mexican places here and there, a few chain ones in every shopping center and a smattering of proper restaurants. Food here is a lot more at restaurants than the US.

tax is directly out of your pay, expect to pay 45c in the dollar if you are a short term visitor or on a good salary, and healthcare, you will probably have to bring your own insurance but a great hospital system.

Mac fz6n

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Lawlberg,

Can't give you much advice on Sydney living, I live 2hrs north in Newcastle.

I agree with Ben, bikesales and Gumtree are the best place to start looking, most dealers list their bikes.
Don't worry about registration etc, I'm sure it's similar to the US.
If you hold an unrestricted motorbike license it should transfer to an Australian license, you just need to apply once you get here.

If you do move downunder you must check out Putty Rd, It's my backyard and one of the best rides in NSW.
There are plenty of mountain roads around Sydney and the Hunter, you won't be disappointed.

So if you do move, be sure to let us know and we'll organize a ride and show you a good old Aussie welcome.

Cheers,
Mac.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys,

I'll be checking out those sites, have an important meeting about this next week, so I'll have an update coming in the near future.

I'll be sure to come up for a ride and or visit. Odds are my bike in Oz won't be an FZ6, it may be time for a city focused supersport, supermoto, or enduro. Because why not. We'll see what's on the market.

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
International driving licences are only a temporary measure and cannot be used once you become a resident of the country.

haros

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to be living or working near the CBD you'll find it's actually much harder to commute by car due to heavy traffic and limited parking. When you do find a parking spot in the city, you'll be paying a premium for it.

On the other hand, bikes aren't charged for parking (can fit 3 or 4 bikes in one car spot plus nowhere to put the ticket!) and lane filtering/splitting is legal in slow moving traffic below 30 km/hr. Invest in a rain suit and you'll be all good in wet weather.

You should be able to find your bike and accommodation on Gumtree.

I'm actually looking to do the opposite and go to work in the US... Will your salary be paid by the American or Australian branch if you are to work in Australia?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're going to be living or working near the CBD you'll find it's actually much harder to commute by car due to heavy traffic and limited parking. When you do find a parking spot in the city, you'll be paying a premium for it.

On the other hand, bikes aren't charged for parking (can fit 3 or 4 bikes in one car spot plus nowhere to put the ticket!) and lane filtering/splitting is legal in slow moving traffic below 30 km/hr. Invest in a rain suit and you'll be all good in wet weather.

You should be able to find your bike and accommodation on Gumtree.

I'm actually looking to do the opposite and go to work in the US... Will your salary be paid by the American or Australian branch if you are to work in Australia?

Thanks man,

The office is in the heart of the CBD, so what your saying makes perfect sense!

Not sure on the details about which office would be paying me, still figuring out those details. I'm not sure exactly how our company is structured with that regard. I'm fairly certain I'll be paid in local currency, but I don't know if it makes much of a difference which office is cutting the checks. I'm sure there's a lot more complication there.

What part of the US are you planning on moving to?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright. Update time.

Accepted the offer last night. I'm moving to Sydney! :D

In a couple months once all of the paperwork clears the immigration offices.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright. Update time.

Accepted the offer last night. I'm moving to Sydney! :D

In a couple months once all of the paperwork clears the immigration offices.

Sounds like a great move/trip, I spent about a week and a half in Sydney once and loved it :thumbup: Only thing was that accomodation prices were much higher than any other place around.
Also did 4 days to the blue mountains, amazing scenary and not that far from the city. Have fun :cheer: