Problem with immobiliser fz6 2006

Theo Hahiho

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello hello,
Two months ago I bought a second hand fz6 with a problem in the cables of the immobiliser. The fuel pump would only work if I would turn the handlebars totally to the right. So I understood that it was a cable connection problem. One day the moto decided to stop working. After asking in the official yamaha service, they told me that probably the ECU and Immo needed change, something that costs a bit less than 2000 bucks. I started messing with the moto myself to find a bit later that one of the 6 immo cables (red with green line) was broken. Happy that I found the reason of the problem but frustrated because previously I cut all 6 cables to connect them to an immo emulator. Long story short, before messing with the cables, the cluster would show everything correctly and only the fuel pump wouldn´t work. Now, after cutting the cables, I connected all of them as they were before but the cluster doesn´t show anything in the display. Only the leds work (neutral etc) apart from the immo led that is dead. And of course the fuel pump has zero functionality. Today I put a new battery as the last one dried dead. Still no luck.
Happy to listen to any ideas....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you originally cut all the wires was the battery still connected?

When ever you work on these wires the battery must be disconnected and then hook up the battery. :)

Theo Hahiho

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeap, the battery was still on. I am a newbie on the field but I am really interested on learning everything that can be fixed by me.
Any guess of what might be the problem or what should be my next move?
Thanks in advance :Flash:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you try to start it with the red key? You should have a spare red key with the bike. That red key is the master key to activate or reset the immo and also you can use it to copy a spare black key. If the previous owner of the bike didin't give the red key with the bike, ask him to give it to you.

Last edited:

Theo Hahiho

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, I tried with all keys, red and black. Tomorrow I will check if the backup fuse (immo, odometer, clock) has been blown off. Does anyone know if the cluster has to be functional in order for the fuel pump to operate?
Thanks for the replies, everyday I do learn something new :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeap, the battery was still on.

OUCH!!!

Lets begin with removing and inspecting all fuses! Hopefully one did its job and protected the hardware.

Did you hear or see anything happen during the cutting faze? Sparks, arcs, sizzle like sounds or popping?

Was one wire cut at a time or multiple?
- One at a time could be OK
- Cutting groups or multiple wires at the same time could allow current to flow into places it doesn't belong causing component damage. The result could be damage to ECM, Meter, Immobilizer or starter lock out. Check fuses first!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope, no sound sparks etc. I had the right handlebar switch off, don´t know if this helped the situation. If not for the fuses, what else can I check?

Right bar, Red Engine OFF switch, if BAD or no connection - it will disable the ignition coils AND starter circuit. I don't recall if the fuel pump still primes but the cluster should be alive.

It will run w/out the gauge cluster (well, USA versions do. We don't have an immobilizer circuit).

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, the cluster has a single data wire from the ECM for:
CEL
Tacho
Speedo
ODO
Hot Engine
Low Fuel
Oil Level

For the Gauge Cluster to work it needs the following:
Data = Yellow w/Green trace
Gnd = Black w/White trace
12v Pwr = Red w/Yellow trace

Over the pond w/Immob - may have others???

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The engine cranks when I push the start switch. But before that, I do not hear the fuel pump usual sound.

Is it plugged in?

Some have raised the tank too far and yanked the wires from the connector. So unplug the GREEN connector and confirm you have battery voltage and that the terminal conductors are in the connector and not pulled out.

Theo Hahiho

Reaction score
Visit site

Theo Hahiho

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it plugged in?

Some have raised the tank too far and yanked the wires from the connector. So unplug the GREEN connector and confirm you have battery voltage and that the terminal conductors are in the connector and not pulled out.

Yes, it is plugged in, I checked it this morning as I had the same idea.
The cluster only has the backlit working and no digital information on the display. From the leds, the neutral and the side alarms work.

Theo Hahiho

Reaction score
Visit site
Found the culprit...
picture.php

The fuse of the odometer was blown up. I changed it with one of the spare ones that exist in the same box. Now I just have to solder back the cables.
My moto is purring again Blah :cheer:

Thanks guys once more for your help. I will come up with new posts, I am sure...
:thumbup:

Last edited:

lamilom

Reaction score
Visit site
Found the culprit...
picture.php

The fuse of the odometer was blown up. I changed it with one of the spare ones that exist in the same box. Now I just have to solder back the cables.
My moto is purring again Blah :cheer:

Thanks guys once more for your help. I will come up with new posts, I am sure...
:thumbup:
I was registered in this forum, only to say THANK YOU, This comment from 2014 has make mi bike to start again after 3 weeks.
Thanks a lot.
Ramiro & Fernando from Argentina.