Putting money into an FZ6

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been laboring over the decision to buy a new bike, or to make a few changes to the FZ6. I think I've decided to keep the old girl and freshen 'er up a bit. My '07 has super low miles (starting this season with less then 6K on the clock) and runs and rides perfectly. Last season I replaced a good chunk of the ignition system, put in Racetech spring and GVEs, and a new set of Bridgestone S3s that are barely scrubbed in. The bike is bone stock, other than having been customized with some light road-rash on the left side, and a silver dollar sized dent in the tank. I am looking into having the cosemtic damage repaired for around $800 which would make the bike like new.

I'm not seeing anything out there that would be significantly better for how I ride than the FZ. I would like more low end torque, but it doesn't seem worth the money for something that is a ver minor complaint. I might consider the usual fueling, intake, and exhaust mods to increase torque at some point, but it is just fine the way it is.

I'll be looking over old threads and photos for inspiration. If you've upgraded or repaired your Fazer, let me know what you did and how it went.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you look...you will see that I recently went through this similar soul searching exercise and decided that I would keep my FZ6. Like you I had modified the forks with GVE's. I also removed my fairing, installed an aftermarket exhaust (slipon) and found an OEM gel seat. I just installed an Ohlins shock, new rubber and a lightweight battery. A stock FZ6 has a wet weight of 460 pounds. With the removal of the fairing, and a lighter exhaust and battery I'm thinking my bike lost about 25 pounds.

My bike turned 15 this year (17,750 miles)...and it's still fairly modern. EFI, 435 pounds wet, 100hp, comfortable riding position...There are lots of bikes in the $10k that offer that, and more (traction control, ABS), but...it's $10-grand. An FZ6 is just a great value.

I'm thinking of some fresh paint at the end of the riding season...Kenny Roberts yellow with Yamaha racing stripes...might freshen up the looks to the point where I'll ride it for the next 15 years.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you look...you will see that I recently went through this similar soul searching exercise and decided that I would keep my FZ6. Like you I had modified the forks with GVE's. I also removed my fairing, installed an aftermarket exhaust (slipon) and found an OEM gel seat. I just installed an Ohlins shock, new rubber and a lightweight battery. A stock FZ6 has a wet weight of 460 pounds. With the removal of the fairing, and a lighter exhaust and battery I'm thinking my bike lost about 25 pounds.

My bike turned 15 this year (17,750 miles)...and it's still fairly modern. EFI, 435 pounds wet, 100hp, comfortable riding position...There are lots of bikes in the $10k that offer that, and more (traction control, ABS), but...it's $10-grand. An FZ6 is just a great value.

I'm thinking of some fresh paint at the end of the riding season...Kenny Roberts yellow with Yamaha racing stripes...might freshen up the looks to the point where I'll ride it for the next 15 years.

I've considered all of the upgrades you mention. Good to know you're still digging your FZ after all that time.

I've never had a bike with ABS or TC, so at this point I'm not missing it. I have considered a quick-shifter though. I may do that, but it is lower down on the list of upgrades at the moment.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yep looked at an XSR 900 and I'd still have one at the drop of a hat, but it means dropping around $10K aus to do it.
they pull nicely, have everything I want in a modern bike. but the FZ6 still does everything I need so at the mo, I'm sticking with it. Just had a 60 k service and all checks out. The Yammy service guys wonder why I think of changing, they love my bike. and in reality -low end torque would be nice, but 90 km/hr on the far side of the intersection is hard to pass up- naughty me!
But you know what I mean- the grunt is there when and if you need it. and you can ride sedately and avoid any scrutiny on a bike with quality finish , super good motor, great weight, seat height etc . The only thing that seems to be a bit unforgiving is the clutch release zone. Run an mt-07 clutch lever on the motor and its sorted! personally I love the abrupt short engagement and only changed it for the pillions comfort (original- it's delightfully aggressive)

I run a Healtech gear indicator- pretty good- had one that the LED display lost part of the number and the currnet one started to de-laminate so I superglued it back and it seems ok- I'd buy a third disply unit If I needed to as it works a treat!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn’t spend $800 on repairing the cosmetic damage. A stock FZ6 in great condition is worth maybe $3500, if you can find the right buyer, realistically closer to $3k. There’s a “how to” on here for repairing rash on the corner of the upper fairing pieces. If you can do that on your own for basically free, and get the tank repaired/painted for <$300, maybe I’d do it.

I sold my FZ6 because I found an amazingly well setup Tiger 1050. It’s like a bigger, more refined FZ6, with an amazing torquey engine. It’s a bit more upright too. If you wanted to upgrade the FZ6 suspension, you’d probably want to do the same to the Tiger (mine was already done). There’s been some nice ones for sale for ~$4000.

I ended up selling the Tiger as it was pretty tall and I’m pretty short. Day to day commuting ended up being a chore. A while later I stumbled across a deal on a 2007 Honda 919. It feels like a naked FZ6 with a helluva lot more low end torque.

fz6bk

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is comfortable in traffic/at lows speeds, handles almost as well my R6 (full Penske suspension on both), and carries a passenger. You don't need the electronics because it's not overpowered, the power band is fun rather than scary, and it's not that likely to get stolen. I've yet to find a bike that comes close as a value/functionality proposition.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've decided on converting it to the N version rather hassling with the fairings. I order the parts last week and they're due in a day or two. I'm a little torn because with the CalSci windscreen I put on last year the fairing does an excellent job of wind protection over the stock screen. It would be fantastic if I actually spent a lot of time slogging it out on the interstate, but I ride 90% in the city and twisty two-lanes in the country. I generally avoid the major freeways but for short blasts when I want to cover some ground quickly.

My fairing is in good enough shape that I can sell the parts and recover some cost, or fund a paint job for the tank. I'll see if I feel like I need to fix the dent in the tank. It isn't that bad, really

I also bought a tail tidy, which came with a full set of 4 turn signals. Things should be pretty tight after I do the work. I might put an exhaust on it at some point, but I actually appreciate that it isn't very loud stock.

But yeah, like somebody said "RIde more" and I intend to! Not gonna spend the whole season fretting over the bike instead of riding it!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While FZ6 fairing looks nice, it's an aerodynamic disaster. I'm much happier without it. Mine was in very good shape and I sold it for $300 (it went in just a few days). That paid for every part associated with the naked conversion (I didn't use a kit, did a custom conversion).

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The N conversion kit I ordered was supposed to have been shipped from the US, but apparently the warehouse "lost" that one so it is coming from Shenzen. Oh well...

The tail tidy showed up though.

I did a flush and fill on the coolant system and learned my fan isn't working, so I'll be digging into that. Coolant was brown like maple syrup. I don't know if that is how it looked when it went in, but I've never seen coolant that color. It appeared clean though, no particles or sludge. I flushed it out thoroughly.

Replaced the air filter, which was filthy. Considering the mileage on the bike when I got it (3700), it may have been the original filter. Bits of the foam rubber padding on the outside of the airbox had come off and been sucked into the folds of the paper filter. That can't have been good for airflow!

Ordered an adjustable clutch lever. Considering it barely has to be pulled in to operate the clutch there's no sense in having the long reach to the lever.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered an adjustable clutch lever. Considering it barely has to be pulled in to operate the clutch there's no sense in having the long reach to the lever.

Just checking out my 07 for the start of the season. As most here have stated, great bike, garage kept, needs scheduled maintenance (15k). I've done the tail tidy, heated grips, modified (bored) the exhaust, couldn't afford an aftermarket, and added Hyper-Lite aux brake light for added rear visibility. Looked into the clutch lever mod awhile back, need to find guy that was making the modded clutch actuation lever. Debating whether to put more money into it or sell, getting a little old (61) to ride hard and fast.

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
...modified (bored) the exhaust, couldn't afford an aftermarket, and added Hyper-Lite aux brake light for added rear visibility. Looked into the clutch lever mod awhile back, need to find guy that was making the modded clutch actuation lever. Debating whether to put more money into it or sell, getting a little old (61) to ride hard and fast.

How did you like the results of the exhaust mod? I've considered it, along with the airbox de-snorkel for some better sounds. I don't want the bike to be as loud as some of the after market systems I've heard, but a tiny bit louder than stock. I don't know if I want to spend the 500-800 USD to get there.

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
How did you like the results of the exhaust mod? I've considered it, along with the airbox de-snorkel for some better sounds. I don't want the bike to be as loud as some of the after market systems I've heard, but a tiny bit louder than stock. I don't know if I want to spend the 500-800 USD to get there.
I agree with not spending 500+. Not much louder sound but a little deeper note. There was a member here (search for P2K11) that created a dual cherry bomb exhaust that I drew CAD plans (I need to locate the file).

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Quote: need to find guy that was making the modded clutch actuation lever

You can change out the clutch actuation arm on the engine with a STOCK Yamaha arm that's slightly longer. No other mods needed. Just gives a bit more leverage and widens the "clutch zone".

Yamaha part # is: 1WS-16340-00 (for the splined shaft)

Red 2007

Reaction score
Visit site
Lemme tell you all a little story. I started riding over 50 years ago. I have owned a TON of bikes over the decades. My goal, aways, was to find that one perfect all-rounder. So I bought a rather knackered used 2007 FZ-6. The bike had been abused, and needed love. I threw some money at it, and enjoyed it. Commuting, hitting the twisties, some light touring. That motorcycle did everything I asked it to, and did it with without ever disappointing. But time moved on, I moved on, and decided I needed something newer, quicker, cooler with more prestige; better tech, etc. But the moment I took the new owner's cash and handed over the title, I experienced something I never had before...seller's remorse. I spent the next 10 years missing that motorcycle. Last year I located a flawless "barn find" 2009 with a mere 1400 miles on it. I couldn't hand over the $4,000 fast enough! New tires, battery, seals & fluids and you will have to pry that bike from my cold, dead fingers. Best damn bike Yamaha ever built...and in my humble opinion, one of the finest all-round motorcycles by any maker EVER. My advice: if you own one, for God's sake, KEEP IT. Save yourself the regret and the years I spent searching.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site

In regards to altering the sound I can recommend a K&N airfilter. I didn’t buy it for extra power or mileage. Whatever difference it makes is most likely not even measurable. I bought it to re-use it every year (also have one in my car so) and I read somewhere it might alter the intake sound a bit... and I believe it does.
With the K&N I think the intake sound - especially noticeable during idle, has a slightly deeper and much less whiny note.
Bought it 10 years ago on sale.
Remember to buy a K&N clean kit.

Would NOT recommend starting to reroute the intake or cut holes in the box.