Questions regarding Öhlins rear shocks

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
One of the many projects I have going on for my '09 FZ6 is to make it a beast on the track. I just got in a set of R6 forks to do the swap. I'd like to do the rear shock relatively soon as well.
This lead me to take a look at the Öhlins rear shock. When taking a look at the selector on their website it fits mine to a YA 403. I also noticed the thread in the ForSale section with someone selling a different model (YA 543) that apparently fits as well.

Which models of their rear shock will fit without modification, and what's with the difference in the price points? I'm seeing anywhere from 600 to 1100 between different model ranges of ones that seem like they should fit.

Also, if anyone wants to make a shout out for a less expensive alternative I'd love to hear it. I don't mind spending some money on a quality part, but if I have other options I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for any help!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
My quick research shows that the 403 is adjustable for rebound damping only, and the 543 has compression and rebound adjustability, making it the better shock.

As far as other alternatives, if you really wanted a beast on the track, spend $3-4000 on an already track-prepped bike with the suspension set up, check the WERA classifieds as well as the model-specific forums. Just my opinion.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Penske does list our bikes on their website. Just have to start the purchase process.

Also, there's a reason WERA classified bikes are so cheap, just my .02.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the $1400 shock is also adjustable for height as you can tailor the length with an adjustor... Stock is 300mm eye to eye and the good one allows you to change that independent of preload.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the $1400 shock is also adjustable for height as you can tailor the length with an adjustor... Stock is 300mm eye to eye and the good one allows you to change that independent of preload.

That's correct, Randy. I have the model below the fully adjustable one. I can't think of the model number off hand, but it has rebound, compression, and the remote reservoir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
My quick research shows that the 403 is adjustable for rebound damping only, and the 543 has compression and rebound adjustability, making it the better shock.

As far as other alternatives, if you really wanted a beast on the track, spend $3-4000 on an already track-prepped bike with the suspension set up, check the WERA classifieds as well as the model-specific forums. Just my opinion.

Ah, alright, that makes sense. Thanks for the breakdown.

Don't get me wrong, I know what I'm going for is nowhere near as cost effective, but there's 3 main reasons I'm going to do it.
1) While I know computers and electronics, I was never really mechanically inclined. Me working on this bike is partly me learning, and it's a fun project.
2) I like the idea of having a really unique bike. I don't want to be one of the masses with an R6 on a track. Taking out rider skill, I know my bike will never outperform a heavily modified R6 GSXR,etc., but there wont be any other FZ6's that'll give an R6 a run for it's money.
3) I like the FZ6. I love how the modified / streetfighter looks turn out, and there's a lot of inexpensive customization options out there for it. It's comfier than a strict sportbike, but still looks and behaves aggressively.
In the end, I know what I'm getting into and I'm happy with it.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's correct, Randy. I have the model below the fully adjustable one. I can't think of the model number off hand, but it has rebound, compression, and the remote reservoir.

+1

Joe and I have the same rear shock. YA543 S46HR1C1L

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

Joe and I have the same rear shock. YA543 S46HR1C1L

Ah, I thought so too....
The one I have is the YA-723. I do know they changed the part number at some point. Mine does not have the adjustable ride height at the lower eye.

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, I thought so too....
The one I have is the YA-723. I do know they changed the part number at some point. Mine does not have the adjustable ride height at the lower eye.

:confused: We do have different ones then, the one i got has the adjustable height

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever the sun's shining[emoji1]
I'm kicking around an idea of a Dragon motocamping ride in late spring/early summer.....

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whenever the sun's shining[emoji1]
I'm kicking around an idea of a Dragon motocamping ride in late spring/early summer.....

let me know when you go i might trailer her down there. i wanted to go with tom (FB400) but i couldn't make it.