R6 engine

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Hey all, been a while since i posted, still riding my 2nd Fazer but came badly unstuck and need advice please.

Chain came off at about 80km/h, took out the mount for the front sprocket cover, plus a 6cm hole on the side of the block. I tried using pratley steel to cover it up but the engine is pissing oil. I'm happy to post pics if anyone wants to see, it's like crash pics, heartbreaking and UGLY. Can't weld it, would have to strip everything,weld, machine, and re-assemble for a 50/50 chance it will hold. My previous attempts to weld the alloy frame failed repeatedly, so i'm not keen on the odds.

So, i have R10 000 which is about $1000 for a repair, can get either a really crappy fz6 engine with 115000km on, but it's a lousy condition, or an R6 engine in pieces that needs a crank, it comes with bearings and extra toys all in new or good nick. Rebuild 1 good engine and recoup costs by selling the rest.

https://www.olx.co.za/item/2006-yamaha-r6-engine-iid-1055012344

Yes or no? I'm going to see it tonight with my mechanic, but i need to ask your input on specifics, WILL IT FIT??

Also, feel free to heep scorn on what really was a noob error when mounting the chain myself, never ever ever ever use the clip type chain. (i was a proud bastard and didn't want to ask my mechanic's help. he would have done it free, i didn't want to ask for freebie).

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The R6 engine runs at higher compression and has a different fueling system and different cams. I doubt it's worth the trouble to try to make an R6 top end fit, although the bottom end I think would work.

I've got a motor with a busted bottom end and a good top, but since you're halfway around the world from me, I doubt that would work out.

I was able to find a used FZ6 engine for $650 (US) shipped on ebay. You could always keep an eye peeled there.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Thanks dude, i'm carrying my cyl head across, so fueling and cams aren't an issue.
I'm more worried about engine mount points, crank bearings and gearbox output shaft.
$650 is a great price, but after postage here and import taxes it'll probably be more :(
But thanks, as long as i can mount it i'm gonna go with it :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe reading here, as you noted, the R6 mounts are different, thus, guys modding an FZ with R6 cam's etc.

If the cases are good on the "lousy FZ6" engine for sale, you might consider swapping the cases to your engine.

It has been documented here (and done).

I'd probably do a Leak Down test on the cylinders as their part of the BLOCK before buying it.

Depending on the price of the engine, new gaskets, etc, it may be do-able ($ wise) if you (or a buddy) do the labor.. Paying a shop would probably not be worth while..