Radiator Fan not working, help!

Coach Rob

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Riders

I need some help. My battery died out and I replaced it but now my radiator fan is not working. any advice on what to do or how to test the fan motor?
(2009 fz600)

I'm a rookie when it comes to fixing bikes, dont know much, thanks for your comments

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Riders

I need some help. My battery died out and I replaced it but now my radiator fan is not working. any advice on what to do or how to test the fan motor?
(2009 fz600)

I'm a rookie when it comes to fixing bikes, dont know much, thanks for your comments

Welcome to the forum!

Did you check for any rocks, pebbles jammbed inbetween the fan and radiator? That is the main killer of the fan. It should spin, by hand, freely.

There's a 20 amp fuse for the fan, its unlikely its blown but check it first. When you replaced your battery, you didn't happen to un-plug anything under the tank did you? Another member(with fan issues) posted the doesn't kick un until 100C.

The manual calls for the fan to kick on between 95c and 105C, (203F to 221F degree's)

If it still doesn't kick on, you can disconnect it (a PIA under the tank) and hook it (the fan)directly to a 12 volt battery. Check it in different spots on the fan rotation should the be a dead spot on the main shaft.

Please post what you find and good luck.

Last edited:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Riders

(2009 fz600)

Mine only kicks in when the coolant temp reaches 212 degrees F.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello. I have had trouble with the fan in the past and just recently. How did you figure out that you are having a fan issue? Did the engine warning light go on? Did your coolant start boiling and dripping out of the coolant reservoir? If yes, do what TownsendsFJR1300 said.

Note that the fan does not run all the time. Starting from cold and leaving your engine idle will not trigger the fan. It has to reach a certain temperature (100deg c or 212deg f like someone mentioned) to trigger the fan.

Hello Riders

(2009 fz600)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Question. How do you know the temperature that starts the fan? Do we have a water temp readout on the display? Aside from the bar scale?

Coach Rob

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Did you check for any rocks, pebbles jammbed inbetween the fan and radiator? That is the main killer of the fan. It should spin, by hand, freely.

There's a 20 amp fuse for the fan, its unlikely its blown but check it first. When you replaced your battery, you didn't happen to un-plug anything under the tank did you? Another member(with fan issues) posted the doesn't kick un until 100C.

The manual calls for the fan to kick on between 95c and 105C, (203F to 221F degree's)

If it still doesn't kick on, you can disconnect it (a PIA under the tank) and hook it (the fan)directly to a 12 volt battery. Check it in different spots on the fan rotation should the be a dead spot on the main shaft.

Please post what you find and good luck.

Scout, My fan moves freely. And I rode for 15 mins in 91 F in Southern California after installing my new battery, no fan came on only the warning yellow light on my dash. (did this twice already and no fan on)
I did unplug two connectors under tank when installing battery, I also check the connections and they look fine.
**You mention a 20amp fuse for the fan, where is it located? I'll like to check it, Thanks

Coach Rob

Reaction score
Visit site
Scout, My fan moves freely. And I rode for 15 mins in 91 F in Southern California after installing my new battery, no fan came on only the warning yellow light on my dash. (did this twice already and no fan on)
I did unplug two connectors under tank when installing battery, I also check the connections and they look fine.
**You mention a 20amp fuse for the fan, where is it located? I'll like to check it, Thanks

I saw two connectors under the tank, white and green. Do you know witch one is for the fan? (I'm sorry for the stupid ?'s)

Coach Rob

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw two connectors under the tank, white and green. Do you know witch one is for the fan? (I'm sorry for the stupid ?'s)

Ok Friends, I checked the fuses and plug fan direct and it's working.
so my question is, Do I have a temperature sensor? thanks

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
There's a way you can make the fan turn on using the an board diagnostic mode on the bike. I have to leave for work right now, but if someone else doesn't tell you how, I will when I get a chance later today. At least then you'll know if the PCM is capable of turning it on.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a thermosensor located at the rear of the right, #3,#4 cylinders, closest to the right side. I've never heard of one failing so, you may check the connector there.

The yellow light that comes (I'm not as familiar with the 04-06 dash) is that just a general engine warning light?

What is your temp gauge (markers) reading, are they way at the top (ie over heating)? Could that yellow light be an indicator of something else?

A check of the owners manual should say.

Note, It gets in the low 90's daily down here in the summer, unless I'm in super heavy traffic, my temps stay around 180-190, fan has never come on(I don't sit in much traffic)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a way you can make the fan turn on using the an board diagnostic mode on the bike. I have to leave for work right now, but if someone else doesn't tell you how, I will when I get a chance later today. At least then you'll know if the PCM is capable of turning it on.

Do you know how many bars show on your dash when the fan does kick on?

Also, does that yellow engine dash light, show any other problems with the engine (low oil, etc) besides overheating?

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
Do you know how many bars show on your dash when the fan does kick on?

Also, does that yellow engine dash light, show any other problems with the engine (low oil, etc) besides overheating?

IIRC, 4 bars show when the fan comes on. I believe the yellow light is a check engine light, so the PCM turns it on. I guess it could turn it on for anything that could set a DTC. Here's a list for reference..

Fault code table
12 - No normal signals are received from the crankshaft position sensor.
13 - Intake air pressure sensor-open or short circuit detected.
14 - Faulty intake air pressure sensor pipe system
15 - Throttle position sensor-open or short circuit detected.
16 - A stuck throttle position sensor is detected.
19 - Open circuit in the input line of ECU
21 - Coolant temperature sensor-open or short circuit detected.
22 - Intake air temperature sensor-open or short circuit detected.
30 - The motorcycle has overturned.
33 - Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (#1, #4).
34 - Open circuit is detected in the primary lead of the ignition coil (#2, #3).
41 - Lean angle cut-off switch-open or short circuit detected.
42 - No normal signals are received from the speed sensor; or, an open or short circuit is detected in the neutral switch.
43 - Supply power to the injector and fuel pump is not normal
44 - An error is detected while reading or writing on EEPROM.
46 - Power supply to the FI system is not normal.
50 - Faulty ECU memory. When this malfunction is detected, the code number might not appear on the meter.

Er-1 - No signals are received from the ECU. Open or short circuit in wiring sub lead.
Er-2 - No signals are received from the ECU within the specified duration.
Er-3 - Data from the ECU cannot be received correctly.
Er-4 - Non-registered data has been received from the meter.

Here's some info on making the PCM turn on the fan...

Setting the diagnostic mode
1. Turn the main switch to “OFF” and set the engine stop switch to “OFF”.

2. Disconnect the wire harness coupler from the fuel pump. (you don't have to do this)

3. Simultaneously press and hold the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons, turn the main switch to “ON”, and continue to press the buttons for 8 seconds or more. All displays on the meter disappear except the clock and tripmeter displays. “dIAG” appears on the LCD meter.

4. Press the “SELECT” button to select the CO adjustment mode “Co” or the diagnostic mode “dIAG”.

5. After selecting “dIAG”, simultaneously press the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons for 2 seconds or more to execute the selection.

6. Select the diagnostic code number that applies to the item that was verified with the
fault code number by pressing the “SELECT” and “RESET” buttons. The diagnostic code number appears on the LCD meter (01-70).
- To decrease the selected diagnostic code number, press the “RESET” button. Press the
“RESET” button for 1 second or longer to automatically decrease the diagnostic code numbers.
- To increase the selected diagnostic code number, press the “SELECT” button. Press the
“SELECT” button for 1 second or longer to automatically increase the diagnostic code numbers

7. Verify the operation of the sensor or actuator.
Sensor operation: The data representing the operating conditions of the sensor appears on the trip LCD.
Actuator operation: Set the engine stop switch to “ON” to operate the actuator.
* If the engine stop switch is set to “ON”, set it to “OFF”, and then set it to “ON” again.

8. Turn the main switch to “OFF” to cancel the the diagnostic mode.

Here are some of the diagnostic tests you can perform...

06 - Coolant temperature Displays the coolant temperature.
* Check the temperature of the coolant. Compare it to the value displayed on the meter.

51 - Radiator fan motor relay
After 1 second has elapsed from the time the engine stop switch has been turned from OFF to ON, it actuates the radiator fan motor relay five times every 5 seconds and illuminates the engine trouble warning light. (ON 2 seconds, OFF 3 seconds)
* If the engine stop switch is ON, turn it OFF once, and then turn it back ON.
Check the radiator fan motor relay operating sound 5 times with the engine stop switch ON.

Last edited:

Coach Rob

Reaction score
Visit site

Great News Riders, I notice I wasn't getting a temperature reading on my dash so .... I reset my dash to read my temperature and fan came on after 210 deg F. (Reset: key opened w/o engine on)

Thanks so much friends for all your postings:rolleyes:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great News Riders, I notice I wasn't getting a temperature reading on my dash so .... I reset my dash to read my temperature and fan came on after 210 deg F. (Reset: key opened w/o engine on)

Thanks so much friends for all your postings:rolleyes:

That's good but I find it highly unlikely that the fan can be defeated do to cluster setting. Please keep an eye on the temps. Actually when its at its hottest grab the radiator hose very briefly so you know how hot it feels. A reference point if you will. Also, if you hear it ping or detonate that's a good clue its getting hot!

That really seems odd that resetting the cluster fixed the fan. I hope it is fixed!! Good luck!