RCA TV....anyone owned one??

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta break out the wallet for a tv... *sigh* :D

Anyways trying to keep it cheap and in the 44-50" range (seems like 46 is the ticket)...

So i'm looking at RCA - 46" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - 46LA45RQ

Anybody owned an RCA tv? i know a friend owns one and he says the quality and picture are good but sound could use some help... but i've found that most flat screens have crap speakers (not enough volume). anyways not a biggie with me anyways...

I've owned other RCA equipment and it's been great, but i wanted to see if anybody here has one before i go out and drop $600 on a TV.

Thanks!

-Rick

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta break out the wallet for a tv... *sigh* :D

Anyways trying to keep it cheap and in the 44-50" range (seems like 46 is the ticket)...

So i'm looking at RCA - 46" Class / 1080p / 60Hz / LCD HDTV - 46LA45RQ

Anybody owned an RCA tv? i know a friend owns one and he says the quality and picture are good but sound could use some help... but i've found that most flat screens have crap speakers (not enough volume). anyways not a biggie with me anyways...

I've owned other RCA equipment and it's been great, but i wanted to see if anybody here has one before i go out and drop $600 on a TV.

Thanks!

-Rick

I'd go for something like this
Samsung - 46" Class / LED / 1080p / 120Hz / HDTV - UN46D6300S
:)
I know it's more expensive but LED and Samsung is a very good combo. Seen it in action and love it! But this dream went to drain once I got my bike. It's a new sink hole :rolleyes:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd do it if i had the cash but i'm in the $600 price range, lower the better, so i can buy motorcycle stuff too :thumbup: and that samsung is wayyyyyyyy out of that price range :D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Keep in mind that if you buy with certain credit cards, your manufacturer warranty will be doubled. Looks like a real kool TV!

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have good credit apply for the best buy card. I bought

Samsung - 55" Class/ LED / 1080p / 120Hz / 3D /HDTV - UN55D6420U

&

Samsung - 7.1-Ch. 3D/Wi-Fi Blu-ray Home Theater System - HT-D6730WZA

They are both "smart" and work off of each other, so when I watch tv I listen to it through the home theater. I realize it is a lot more than you are looking to spend but when you combine the two with the best buy card you get 36 month financing. and it is same as cash. So as long as you pay off the total balance before the 36 months is up you pay zero interest, that is how I bought mine. for my location with tax the total is: $2,811.66
36 months that is only $78.10 a month and you wont pay any interest. That also gives you 3D LED. and the tv comes with 2 free pairs of battery opp glasses. They are $50 a piece to buy. The only other thing you will have to buy is a hdmi cable. also the tv you are looking at only has a 60hz refresh rate and the one I showed you and the one bob808 showed you are 120hz refresh rate. meaning that you may get like a skiddish screen for a few secs with the 60hz where you wont with the 120hz.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My parents owned a black and white one back in the 1960s. It was made of pure American steel and weighted about 60lbs for 19" set. It died a slow death when I took it to college in the early '80s. The final blow was then my room mat speared a commercial of the Taco Bell dog with a ski pole.

So yes, RCAs are great TVs. :rolleyes:

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate LED tv's lol The picture looks fake to me because it pops so much. Especially in movies with lots of special effects you can really tell the effect is being put in.

your rca 60hz you will not be happy with. You want at least 120hz.

I opted for a thin plasma because it was cheaper and the picture looked muchhhhhhhhhh better and it has 600hz refresh rate. Which is perfect for me and gaming :)

What i did is buy a tv from a place that takes returns no problems. Like frys or costco and just took it home and tried it in my space. I found a tv too large was hard to view from my couch and that i hate LED :). Just returned it and got a nother one that i loved :rockon:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate LED tv's lol The picture looks fake to me because it pops so much. Especially in movies with lots of special effects you can really tell the effect is being put in.

your rca 60hz you will not be happy with. You want at least 120hz.

I opted for a thin plasma because it was cheaper and the picture looked muchhhhhhhhhh better and it has 600hz refresh rate. Which is perfect for me and gaming :)

What i did is buy a tv from a place that takes returns no problems. Like frys or costco and just took it home and tried it in my space. I found a tv too large was hard to view from my couch and that i hate LED :). Just returned it and got a nother one that i loved :rockon:

Any issues with Plasma burn? i know that companys worked their arses off to make it less likely and include ways to fix it now but it's a bit of a turn off, may very well get a plasma... i'm the guy who falls asleep with his tv on a dvd title screen though :spank:

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
We have a 42" Samsung and no problems with picture quality.Mine you it a couple of years old now and 42" was considered massive then....Go for what you can afford.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Any issues with Plasma burn? i know that companys worked their arses off to make it less likely and include ways to fix it now but it's a bit of a turn off, may very well get a plasma... i'm the guy who falls asleep with his tv on a dvd title screen though :spank:

No not at all, i have left it on pause for long periods and no issues. Mine actually has a screen saver dealio that turns on when nothing on the screen is moving after i think 15 minutes.

I bought a 55" LG 55PK950 for 800 bucks. LOVEEEEE this tv lol its an older model and it looks amazing. Cant beat the glass front design, makes it super easy to clean. I thought i would hate the rear facing speakers but they sound just like front facing ones to me LOL.

Anyways i was paranoid about getting a plasma because of the internet rumors heat, burn, power usage. And i can tell you first hand i dont have any of these issues.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
No not at all, i have left it on pause for long periods and no issues. Mine actually has a screen saver dealio that turns on when nothing on the screen is moving after i think 15 minutes.

I bought a 55" LG 55PK950 for 800 bucks. LOVEEEEE this tv lol its an older model and it looks amazing. Cant beat the glass front design, makes it super easy to clean. I thought i would hate the rear facing speakers but they sound just like front facing ones to me LOL.

Anyways i was paranoid about getting a plasma because of the internet rumors heat, burn, power usage. And i can tell you first hand i dont have any of these issues.

Where did you find a 55" for 800??? best i can find is a insignia 51" for 650 + tax... and i know nothing about insignia lol.. got some research to do

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
when we got our flat screen we started off with an rca from walmart. first thing i hated was that there was no code in the tv for us to be able to use our direct tv remotes. so we had to use one remote to turn it on/off and the volume +/-... then another remote for our satellite channels. it was rather annoying. before too long the speakers got distorted and we took it back. got a different brand and the picture on it started flaking after a week. finally settled on a samsung and it's been great.

what we discovered... it's all a crapshoot. every tv you look at will have good and bad reviews. we tried to find one that had more good than bad and looked nice in the store. i also did my research to find out what i thought about 60hz vs 120hz vs 600hz... as well as plasma, led, and lcd. we went 120hz, lcd, 1080p. not the best tv out there, but it's worked great for us.

hths

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
when we got our flat screen we started off with an rca from walmart. first thing i hated was that there was no code in the tv for us to be able to use our direct tv remotes. so we had to use one remote to turn it on/off and the volume +/-... then another remote for our satellite channels. it was rather annoying. before too long the speakers got distorted and we took it back. got a different brand and the picture on it started flaking after a week. finally settled on a samsung and it's been great.

what we discovered... it's all a crapshoot. every tv you look at will have good and bad reviews. we tried to find one that had more good than bad and looked nice in the store. i also did my research to find out what i thought about 60hz vs 120hz vs 600hz... as well as plasma, led, and lcd. we went 120hz, lcd, 1080p. not the best tv out there, but it's worked great for us.

hths

That's what i dislike about our sony downstairs... 50 inch, maybe we just didn't program the remote (it was a while ago) but i love that our lg upstairs can be shut off w the direcTV with the press of one button, maybe i'm just lazy, but... keeping track of one remote is hard.... two at the same time.. impossible!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you find a 55" for 800??? best i can find is a insignia 51" for 650 + tax... and i know nothing about insignia lol.. got some research to do
Oh i didnt clarify, my deal i just got lucky. I went to frys and they were blowing out old model tvs to make room for the new ones. Its one of those crazy discounts they dont advertise. I went there on a friday the tv was 1000 bucks, went back on sunday and they had one more left. They gave it to me for 800 :)

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright off to Bestbuy to look at their wall of TV's to drool, probably to spend more money than i'd like :spank: will update when i get home!

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to sell electronics for a few years. The quality of current RCA electronics is not the same as it used to be! Everything RCA brand I sold was very poor quality. The display models broke very quickly and were really cheap! RCA used to be an awesome brand, but again it is not the same as the old RCA brand. I have been very happy with my Samsung 42'' plasma. Ive had no problems with it since I bought it three years ago. Ive also became a fan of Vizio TVs. Dont let the price fool you they are really decent TVs. I have a 19'' and a 26'' LCD from Vizio and they are really nice.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
My parents owned a black and white one back in the 1960s. It was made of pure American steel and weighted about 60lbs for 19" set. It died a slow death when I took it to college in the early '80s. The final blow was then my room mat speared a commercial of the Taco Bell dog with a ski pole.

So yes, RCAs are great TVs. :rolleyes:

I still have my RCA B/W 12 inch TV I bought during the 60's with paperboy earnings.

I have been very happy with my Samsung 42'' plasma.

No such Samsung HDTV luck here, first the picture went out during the 2nd year, shop fixed it for $100 (but covered under the Visa double warranty period). Shortly thereafter, stereo sounds sometimes breaks up, goes loud static (been going on for 5 or so years now) for a few minutes, and most recently, tuner started acting up (but seems to have returned to normal).