Re-Chipping a new key - what is the process?

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All..

I recently lost one of the key to my FZ6N '05 so I had to buy a new key... £30... ouch..

I thought I could reprogram it myself using the red key and the bike and I tried a process that Youngy found somewhere posted below... but it didn't seem to work with this new key.

Has anyone had any success programming a new key to their bike...

The place that sold me the key for £30 wants to charge me another £30 to program the chip... that is mental...

any help/ideas much appreciated!

1. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.
2. With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.
3. Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.
4. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.
5. Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.
6. While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.
7. Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.
8. If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the same road...
I am about to buy 2 black keys since I lost them both.
I still have the red key and I have searched through internet and this is what I have learned......
Our red key lets the immobilizer unit program 2 black keys with a transponder.
The transponder we need for the blank keys sold in ebay etc... (they do not come with transponder) is "id 4D 69" or we could just get some other used key from another yamaha motorcycle OEM, and program it with the red key..

What have you find out??

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
1.Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.
2.With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.
3.Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.
4.Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.
5.Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.
6.While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.
7.Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.
8.If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

The procedure that a Yamaha Dealership gave to me; Same as above.

Technician did say it may take a few attempts.

Last edited:

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
I just called the dealer. They told be a black key should be around 20 dls.
It comes blank and already has a chip!

gusss

Reaction score
Visit site
The red and black keys are only readable...
The red key shows in a key reader id 4d 62
the black key shows in a key reader id 4d 60.
These keys can only be read! And therefor can be accepted after red the key procedure has been done!

To clone a black or red key, a different chip is needed, one that can be written.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
So ....when you enable the ECU with the red key it allows the new black key to be registered with the ECU. You don't write anything to the black key. Is that right?

Last edited:

Normanlai

Reaction score
Visit site
1.Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.
2.With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.
3.Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.
4.Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.
5.Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.
6.While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.
7.Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.
8.If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

The procedure that a Yamaha Dealership gave to me; Same as above.

Technician did say it may take a few attempts.

To those who have been successful, So step 4 and 5 total time to do it is 5 seconds or 10 seconds?
Also, has anyone managed to have 3 black spares?

Last edited:

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
What's this chipping/programming talk about? My used 08 came with an original and two plain hardware store replacements that all work.

This only concerns the Non-US models which are fitted with an immobiliser as standard from the factory. :thumbup:

Yamahaboyz

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To those who have been successful, So step 4 and 5 total time to do it is 5 seconds or 10 seconds?
ECU will only recognize two keys at any one time. Actually this is incorrect, the ECU allows three keys to be registered but one of them has to be the red key.

1 This must be done when a standard key is lost and a new one needs to be registered.
2 You need all three keys to register the new one. The code in the old black key will be cancelled so will also need to be re-registered.
3 Using the red key turn the ignition on (dont start the bike) turn it off and remove key.
4 Within 5 seconds turn the ignition on with the new key the immobilizer light will flash every half a second this indicates registering process is ongoing. If at any time the immobilizer light stops flashing the system has timed out or failed and the process needs to be repeated.
5 With immobilizer light still flashing turn ignition off and within 5 seconds insert remaining black key and turn the ignition on when the light stops flashing the process of registering both keys has completed.
6 Make sure both keys start the bike.
Neil

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The mechanic is confusing the new ECU registering process with the new key registering process.

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's the new ECU registering process, here is the new key process.

1 This must be done when a standard key is lost and a new one needs to be registered.
2 You need all three keys to register the new one. The code in the old black key will be cancelled so will also need to be re-registered.
3 Using the red key turn the ignition on (dont start the bike) turn it off and remove key.
4 Within 5 seconds turn the ignition on with the new key the immobilizer light will flash every half a second this indicates registering process is ongoing. If at any time the immobilizer light stops flashing the system has timed out or failed and the process needs to be repeated.
5 With immobilizer light still flashing turn ignition off and within 5 seconds insert remaining black key and turn the ignition on when the light stops flashing the process of registering both keys has completed.

Neil

Normanlai

Reaction score
Visit site
That's the new ECU registering process, here is the new key process.

Neil
Thanks

So, the max number of black keys is still 2 pieces.

I am not sure what this new method does but the original instruction worked well enough to give me 2 black keys. After much trial and error. I would say total time is 10 secs.

If anyone needs more than 2, go clone one of the keys at a locksmith. Each key has a unique ID and that's stored in the ECU memory. I know because I had 3 black keys and 1 was cloned at a high price. If I knew how it works I would not use the cloned key(s) on a daily basis and instead as spare, then I would always have 3 blacks.

Just to share some thoughts.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks

So, the max number of black keys is still 2 pieces.

I am not sure what this new method does but the original instruction worked well enough to give me 2 black keys. After much trial and error. I would say total time is 10 secs.

If anyone needs more than 2, go clone one of the keys at a locksmith. Each key has a unique ID and that's stored in the ECU memory. I know because I had 3 black keys and 1 was cloned at a high price. If I knew how it works I would not use the cloned key(s) on a daily basis and instead as spare, then I would always have 3 blacks.

Just to share some thoughts.
Please post up the details of how you got a key cloned? was it from a black key or from a red key?
The manual seems to be pretty clear in stating that the ECU can only store three codes. Im thinking that the cloning process might only be an option if you have one key. I don't think that there are any options if you lose all the keys.

Neil

Last edited:

Normanlai

Reaction score
Visit site
Please post up the details of how you got a key cloned? was it from a black key or from a red key?
The manual seems to be pretty clear in stating that the ECU can only store three codes. Im thinking that the cloning process might only be an option if you have one key. I don't think that there are any options if you lose all the keys.

Neil

1. cloned from a black key, yes it works.
2. how? brought it to a "high tech" locksmith, gave the Black key, waited, got another Black key (does not look like a yamaha original key), paid, happy.
3. you are probably right about the ECU thing. I used to have 3 blacks because i like to keep spares in my weekday/Weekend bag. Yes, i am careless.
4. Coding a blank chip key and cloning is different. Coding registers a unique id to the ECU. Cloning makes a direct copy of an existing key, so 2 keys now share that id, so you can make 10 clones and ECU will accept them all.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. cloned from a black key, yes it works.
2. how? brought it to a "high tech" locksmith, gave the Black key, waited, got another Black key (does not look like a yamaha original key), paid, happy.
3. you are probably right about the ECU thing. I used to have 3 blacks because i like to keep spares in my weekday/Weekend bag. Yes, i am careless.
4. Coding a blank chip key and cloning is different. Coding registers a unique id to the ECU. Cloning makes a direct copy of an existing key, so 2 keys now share that id, so you can make 10 clones and ECU will accept them all.
Thanks for the clarification, I still have all three keys thankfully. How much did the cloning cost? If you lost one of the keys would it still be possible for the ECU to write a code to the cloned key?

Neil

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification, I still have all three keys thankfully. How much did the cloning cost? If you lost one of the keys would it still be possible for the ECU to write a code to the cloned key?

Neil

From the sounds of it (since I live in the US) the cloned key is just that... rather than a read-only chip, it has a chip that can be written to, and was written to using the same code as one of the 2 active black keys. In other words, as far as the ECU is concerned, it's got the codes for 2 black and 1 red keys stored, even though there's 4 physical keys. If he got another Yamaha key and programmed it in, he'd have to also program the key that his cloned key was cloned from, or both the cloned and the clone-e would cease working.

After working on some cars with immobilizer chips, I must say I'm glad to not have it on the bike. It's bad enough with the advanced diagnostics I have at work, I'd hate to have to troubleshoot it via the cluster.

Last edited:

Normanlai

Reaction score
Visit site
From the sounds of it (since I live in the US) the cloned key is just that... rather than a read-only chip, it has a chip that can be written to, and was written to using the same code as one of the 2 active black keys. In other words, as far as the ECU is concerned, it's got the codes for 2 black and 1 red keys stored, even though there's 4 physical keys. If he got another Yamaha key and programmed it in, he'd have to also program the key that his cloned key was cloned from, or boy the cloned and the clone-e would cease working.

After working on some cars with immobilizer chips, I must say I'm glad to not have it on the bike. It's bad enough with the advanced diagnostics I have at work, I'd hate to have to troubleshoot it via the cluster.

Yep, I could not have explained it better.