Rear Brake Light, but no Tail Light

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was riding the other night and a nice fellow (actually a friend of mine ;) ) stopped me and told me that my tail light wasn't on while riding. The brake light, however, works correctly.

I checked out the fuses today and everything is in good shape.

I pulled the bulb out and both filaments are intact. I'm the third owner of this bike so I don't actually know if the bulb was correctly replaced last time(over 12,500 miles, the bulb can't be original).

I can grab a new bulb tomorrow to check, but I've looked through the manual and haven't found which bulb should be the replacement. Help is appreciated there!

But with that said, I've been thinking about switching to an LED tail light for increased visibility. The motodynamic integrated brake/signal light looks pretty nice and is affordable. Should I just move in this direction instead?

As a side note: I recently did the BD43 dual headlight mod and I'm pretty sure the tail light and headlight (left handle bar harness) are separate, but this modification couldn't have been an issue, could it?

Thanks in advance!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuse that powers that part of the bike's circuit is also the directional indicator circuit. If your indicators are working the fuse is good. You can use and automotive type 1157, dual filament bulb in a pinch but the factory bulb is much better being it is brighter and also has a physical bridge on the filament for better mechanical stability against vibration.

The bulb is #2 at this link. TAILLIGHT

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an observation:
Without actually powering the bulb from a known good source the naked eye may not see a break in the filament. Try some magnification OR use a hand held meter and ohm out both filaments.
Well, unless you have another bulb to try or easy access to a 12V battery and test leads for a functional test! :thumbup: A car battery may provide easy access.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the notes. I hadn't checked last night so I did today... Turn signals both work and hazards as well.

When I took the bulb out last night, I turned the bike on to visually check the filaments and both lit up when I hit the brake (I believe I could see the bridge between the two filaments as is described with the oem bulb).

Is there a "tail light" filament, or are the two connected filaments just dimmer when the tail light should be on?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the notes. I hadn't checked last night so I did today... Turn signals both work and hazards as well.

When I took the bulb out last night, I turned the bike on to visually check the filaments and both lit up when I hit the brake (I believe I could see the bridge between the two filaments as is described with the oem bulb).

Is there a "tail light" filament, or are the two connected filaments just dimmer when the tail light should be on?

There are 2 different filaments. On on the running light (tail light) circuit and one on the brake light circuit. :)

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, so both filaments are still intact. They both light up when the brake pedal is pressed (which makes sense, 2 is brighter than 1). But there is no filament lit when not on the brake pedal.

I followed the brake/tail light harness to under the left side of the bike (the plastics next to the seat). I'm wondering now which wire powers the tail light, blue or yellow (black = ground, right)?

Initially I thought the dual headlight mod couldn't have possibly affected the rear of the bike, but since you mentioned that the signals are on the same circuit (and the signals come from the left handlebar harness), that maybe I moved something around when I was installing the modified wire.

Thoughts?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yellow is the Brake
Blue is the running lamp. Should "RUN" when the engine is on. So, no, it should not pop on just when the brake is pressed.

Confirm nothings is bridged in the socket and inspect the coupling under the pod for modifications.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Yellow is the Brake
Blue is the running lamp. Should "RUN" when the engine is on. So, no, it should not pop on just when the brake is pressed.

Confirm nothings is bridged in the socket and inspect the coupling under the pod for modifications.

Aha (I think)!

Upon much, much, closer inspection, one of the filaments is in fact disconnected. And now that I see that, it also explains why both filaments light when the brake is pressed.

The way it broke (right next to the bridge), when the brake filament turns on, the current travels through both. But when not running, the running filament was completely out of the circuit.

I'm not 100% it's the cause, but I am going to grab another 1157 bulb and see if that fixes the issue.

Ps. Pod shows no signs of modification. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With the key is in the on position the running light voltage should be present.
As FI says could be a bridge in the socket but also could be bridged internally in the lamp itself. Get an 1157 lamp from a local autoparts store and swap the lamp out. Just make sure you match the bayonet pins the same way. One is lower on the lamp socket.

Sometimes a filament will break and reattach it self by spark welding on to the other filament.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As noted about the ORIGINAL three prong supports for the brake light filiment, yes the 1157 will fit and work. (It only has TWO supports for the elements.)

The Genuine Yamaha bulb, with the 3 supports is slightly brightly, and MUCH more robust to the rigors of motorcycling. As you ONLY have ONE stock running light, invest the little bit more in the Yamaha bulb.

It doesn't cost much more surprisingly, especially compared to the safety issue..

I keep a spare in my tool box...

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
New bulb did the trick. The break in the old filament was so small, I'm surprised it didn't reattach itself.

I bought a 2-pack of bulbs so if it happens again, that's the first thing I'll try. I figure I'll probably move to the motodynamic tail light soon enough though.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Anything I need to know before I go disassembling the rear taillight? I took the bike out after work last night just before dusk and thought that back looked dim. When I got home, I realized only the brake light was functioning and I was looking at the license plate light before :/.

I can't find much on opening it up so thought I would check before going for it. Is it as simple as popping the cover off?

Also, I love that I can find a forum post for almost any issue I run into. Love the internet.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Just pop the seat off and pull out the bulb. No need to disassemble anything. If a new bulb doesn't fix it, try cleaning the socket contacts and the connector under the left side panel under the seat.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you get the seat out of the way you will see the socket housing that is mounted to the tail lamp assembly. Rotate the socket assembly counter clockwise and the socket ass'y will release. You can then change the lamp.
You can use a standard automotive 1157 lamp as a temporary replacement but the OEM Yamaha bulb is brighter and has an additional filament support to deal with vibration on the bike.

You haven't actually confirmed the license plate light was lit. Was it? Do your directionals work?

Last edited:

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
License plate was lit and turn signals are functioning. I am going to use the 1157 temporarily until I can get a Yamaha bulb. I was seeing the license plate light reflecting off the rear reflector and thought that was a light for a moment. Then I saw it and realized what a stupid thought that was.

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
When you get the seat out of the way you will see the socket housing that is mounted to the tail lamp assembly. Rotate the socket assembly counter clockwise and the socket ass'y will release. You can then change the lamp.
You can use a standard automotive 1157 lamp as a temporary replacement but the OEM Yamaha bulb is brighter and has an additional filament support to deal with vibration on the bike.

Well that was stupidly easy. I broke the bulb getting it out - it was in there pretty good. I did not realize they go in and twist as they do. Oil change is done (very necessary based on that oil), chain is lubed and tail light is functioning. All is good in FZ6 world.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that was stupidly easy. I broke the bulb getting it out - it was in there pretty good. I did not realize they go in and twist as they do. Oil change is done (very necessary based on that oil), chain is lubed and tail light is functioning. All is good in FZ6 world.
Good job! Yes, the tail lamp is a bayonet type socket. If you look at the lamp base you will also see that the two pins are at different heights on the base so you must pay attention when inserting the new lamp. :)

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
Good job! Yes, the tail lamp is a bayonet type socket. If you look at the lamp base you will also see that the two pins are at different heights on the base so you must pay attention when inserting the new lamp. :)

Yep! As I was trying to put it in I discovered that they were at different heights.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This was the thread I needed, just bought a 2004 and having the same issue.

As already mentioned the 1157 automotive lamp will do in a pinch but get the Yamaha OEM lamp because it is physically stronger and it is also brighter.