Rear sprocket - plus 2 teeth

Alocinapap

I am looking to increase acceleration on my bike. I have a few questions.

1 - will going up to a 48 tooth rear sprocket (plus two teeth) make much difference? Any one have any experience with this mod?

2 - I recently fitted a new chain so would that work with a slightly larger rear sprocket or would I need to change the chain? I have read that 2 teeth should be in the parameters of an original chain.

3 - how much will it throw out the speedo? plus or minus?

Thanks in advance.

Alocinapap

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Where is your rear axle in the adjustment? That would determine whether you can go up two at the back, or down 1 on the front (which is about the same as going up three at the rear).

Going to a larger rear sprocket will bring the wheel forward by about 3/8 to 1/2”, whereas going down 1 on the front will send the axle about 1/4 rearward (maybe 3/16).

Alocinapap

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems like I have enough space.

what kind of difference will two teeth make to acceleration?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Noticeable. What will also be noticeable is the cruising rpm going up 4.3%. So at 60 mph you'll go from 4,950 to 5,170 rpm

Alocinapap

So I fitted the sprocket. Certainly has more giddy-up. Will gently lift the front wheel on full throttle in first now. Speedo is out about 2-3 mpg at 30 so not too bad. Overall happy with the change.

jaffabaffa

I just ordered a +2 rear sprocket AND a -1 front sprocket, which should be equal to going +5 in the rear only. Very curious for the results...

7UPyours

Is there a DID kit that offers the 48 tooth in back for our bikes or do you have to buy all parts separate? I am only seeing the 530 16/46