Rear suspension swap

jorge1320e

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys im new to the forum. I was wondering if any one has swap the rear suspension on the fz6 ? Im a big guy around 300lbs and when I ride with the wife the bike jumps too much on the rear and doesnt really absorb shocks.
Have anyone used the bike with over bikes weight limit?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You don't have swap out the shock, but you definitely need to increase the spring rate. Use the tool at racetech.com to determine the correct spring rate.

jorge1320e

Reaction score
Visit site
has anyone had a problem with the rear suspension lowering not absorving shocks when using it with passanger over the weight limit ? I want to know if the shock went bad as the bike is 14 year old now

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The OEM shock used on the FZ isn't serviceable, once it fails it garbage.

In order to test the shock you are going to have to remove it and then remove the spring. From there you can tell if the shock is providing any compression and rebound damping. There should be resistance in both directions.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike was designed for a like a 160lb rider. It can accomdate more. See the owners manual.

If you replace the spring to accommodate increased capacity, the shock will not be as effective at dampening.

Replace the shock and spring with one able to handle the loads.
Please address the front to.

A bike setup for the rider is a beautiful thing. Don't take shortcuts and you'll be happy!

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look around these forums there's a writeup on how to replace with an R1 shock.

The best alternative is to go aftermarket and get a customized setup if you can part with 400-600 dollars.

I tried respringing my shock, but they're just not cut out for it.

For the front the R6 fork swap is a great upgrade, but you'd need stiffer springs there, too.