bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ATGAT is great, but IMO overrated.

Don't get me wrong, after walking away with only a small ankle sprain in my earlier days, instead of what would have likely been a ticket to knee and ankle surgery had I not been in gear, I got convinced to ride 95% of the time in full gear, however, especially for high speed crashes, don't fool yourself that it'd make much difference.

To me, videos like this are more of a good example for "if you still got some days left, you ain't gonna go today", than for "go ATGAT!". There are so many people who got internal lesions and died of internal bleeding, or just broken their neck/spine even with the most expensive/best gear riding at legal town speed limits. Not even the metal body of a car is of much help, if the impact exceeds a certain energy threshold.

dbldutch02

Reaction score
Visit site
ATGAT is great, but IMO overrated.

Don't get me wrong, after walking away with only a small ankle sprain in my earlier days, instead of what would have likely been a ticket to knee and ankle surgery had I not been in gear, I got convinced to ride 95% of the time in full gear, however, especially for high speed crashes, don't fool yourself that it'd make much difference.

To me, videos like this are more of a good example for "if you still got some days left, you ain't gonna go today", than for "go ATGAT!". There are so many people who got internal lesions and died of internal bleeding, or just broken their neck/spine even with the most expensive/best gear riding at legal town speed limits. Not even the metal body of a car is of much help, if the impact exceeds a certain energy threshold.

Not sure how you get there in reaction to this video - (any) trousers, (any) shoes and (any) gloves and this guy would have been uninjured. Sure, gear doesn't make you immortal, we all know that.

As for this guy, I think he got off incredibly lightly, rolling instead of sliding - if he doesn't believe in some divine being he should start now (and learn to ride)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen this video, riding in shorts, without gloves, etc. Some people are willing to risk more than others. They can live with the scars, they can take time off from work because they are in the hospital or recovering from their injuries and have plenty of money to pay the medical bills. It's their body, it's their life. But this video illustrates what happens when the rider makes the wrong decisions. It starts with gear, every ride!

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
(any) trousers, (any) shoes and (any) gloves and this guy would have been uninjured

There is no way to tell that for sure- maybe with some gear he would have been 100% fine, maybe with some gear the dynamics would have been altered and made him tumble in a different way giving him 20 fractures- gear or not there are countless different outcomes in a crash like this. In this case, IMO he was extremely lucky and experienced the scenario with the lightest possible body damage.

Another thing- why did the wobble start in the first place? He accelerated a bit while going over a bump, and unloading the front wheel => wobble? Can't really tell from the video...

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Outch! Not sure how OK this guy was. The real toll of the damage and possible fractures were not apparent in these early few seconds after the fall I'm sure.
I sometimes skip the riding pants and just use jeans when doing a real short trip at work due to practical reasons. But when I do I have this nasty type of a vulnerable sensation cause I use all the gear all the otherwise. Skin is just not meant for being used as a brake on tarmac!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like his new nick name is Patch! :tard:

Having bit it as kid from skate board's and bicycle wrecks I found that skin is not overrated and I'd really like to keep it. Bones may get broken but hopefully I can keep my flesh!