Removing cats?

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I read that the FZ6 has three catalytic converters, that is insane! I have read that it is illegal to remove cats, but motorcycles do not need to pass emissions tests.

I don't expect any real increase in power but removing those would drop a lot of weight and heat. Also it would improve the stock sound a little bit. Is this a good idea? Do any of you know anyone near Boise that would do it? I cannot weld :/

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Well the number of cats depends on the model year. 2004-06 only have a single cat in the mid-pipe. The newer models (2007-onward) have cats in the header in addition to the mid-pipe. If you've got an S1, you'll either need a welder who can weld stainless, or you can break the honey comb cat out of the mid-pipe using a slightly smaller O.D tube than the I.D of the mid-pipe. If you've got an S2, then you'd need to buy an S1 header like [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] did and an S1 mid-pipe to go with it (still need a welder who can weld stainless). However, if you have an S2 but can live with the header cats, FinalImpact has his old S2 mid-pipe for sale in the classifieds section and it's already been de-catted.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the number of cats depends on the model year. 2004-06 only have a single cat in the mid-pipe. The newer models (2007-onward) have cats in the header in addition to the mid-pipe. If you've got an S1, you'll either need a welder who can weld stainless, or you can break the honey comb cat out of the mid-pipe using a slightly smaller O.D tube than the I.D of the mid-pipe. If you've got an S2, then you'd need to buy an S1 header like [MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION] did and an S1 mid-pipe to go with it (still need a welder who can weld stainless). However, if you have an S2 but can live with the header cats, FinalImpact has his old S2 mid-pipe for sale in the classifieds section and it's already been de-catted.

^^ Yep.... Enough CATs for everyone! Thanks direction to the 4sale section! MUCH Appreciated!! :thumbup:

This is JM2C but direct passage is better than a punch to the comb. Once hot gases expand into an open area, it takes energy to confine them again. i.e. get them back in line and out the gate.
- Throttle response is the perk and the bike is also suitable for dyno tune as the actual AFR can be read and not calculated or assumed based upon some magic number of catalyst efficiency are various flow rates.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
You can buy or make a decat pipe between the exhaust and the headers that bypasses the biggest CAT. Scorpion do one and maybe laser too. It's different depending on what year bike you have. I bought the Scorpion one, was sent the wrong year, then was sent the right year and it didn't fit well. I had to mod it. I took it off in the end and went back to the stock cat as it was too loud with that and my end cans. Details on my site link below if you're interested.

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
Installed my mid pipe today, didn't take too long. Old pipe weighs about eight pounds, new one is maybe a pound.

Pics:
c3314bcfbb2a613e85578711ee1891af.jpg

Disassembled to get the old mid pipe out

327f9b980d8f73bd39ba0a8e510949e9.jpg

Old vs new

5cd4ab9e46e9e399834d640207005c10.jpg

Back in one piece :)

Question: if I get a two brothers slip-on, will I need to worry about it running too lean with the stock S2 header?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
I'v been running the Leo Vince pipes on my S2 with no DB killers and no tune and it hasn't gone BOOM yet. That's not to say it's not running leaning though.