Removing cylinder head

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good day!
So its confirmed i have a BHG due to over heating from the previous owner.
Oil is bit milky and water from radiator is contaminated with oil
Symptoms
Rough idle
Overheats
Milky engine oil
Oil in coolant
My question is, is it possible to remove cylinder head without pulling out the engine?
Or whats the best method i also want to check the the cylinder bore
60k miles on the clock

She looks good outside but not so good inside, this will be my first time rebuilding bikes like this , i only took apart mainly scooters

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_232641.jpg
    IMG_20220113_232641.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220113_181859.jpg
    IMG_20220113_181859.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is noting in the FSM that indicates that the engine must be removed to remove the head. Even so, with a hydraulic lift the engine is easily removed/lowered.
I dont have a engine stand , so it'll be much easier if the engine is mounted.
Im currently looking for parts locally before i proceed doing the job.
My main concern is if the rod and main bearings spun or worn out

I will post an update about this
Thank you

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One other thing to consider (knowing the history of your previous posts) is if your ECU is good and figure in you may also have the cost of replacing the ECU.
The ECU may be damaged as we have discovered through lack of headlamp control as well as possible lack of fan control which depend on internal ground path switching.
Personally I think the FZ6 is a worthy investment and deserves the love being it is such a great design and continues to have many years of support through this great forum.

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One other thing to consider (knowing the history of your previous posts) is if your ECU is good and figure in you may also have the cost of replacing the ECU.
The ECU may be damaged as we have discovered through lack of headlamp control as well as possible lack of fan control which depend on internal ground path switching.
Personally I think the FZ6 is a worthy investment and deserves the love being it is such a great design and continues to have many years of support through this great forum.
If all things end up well i might consider buying ECU,loom and ignition switch.
i bought this bike for me to learn how to make it run, but i didnt expect this much damage , the owner isnt much of help when it comes to history of the bike, somehow it all unfolds as i tinker on it.
One of my problem is parts availability here in my country
Thank you

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any knocking or new, unusual noises to indicate rod or bearing issues?

Did you catch the leak early?..

A head gasket is one thing, to check bearings is another..

I think if you remove the oil pan, you may be able to access the rod bearing lower caps/bearing to see if any are spun (all in with the engine in the frame). A rod bearing would likely get damaged first/spin. That is VERY rare with this engine but water in the crankcase is somewhat rare too...

Cocoloco

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have any knocking or new, unusual noises to indicate rod or bearing issues?

Did you catch the leak early?..

A head gasket is one thing, to check bearings is another..

I think if you remove the oil pan, you may be able to access the rod bearing lower caps/bearing to see if any are spun (all in with the engine in the frame). A rod bearing would likely get damaged first/spin. That is VERY rare with this engine but water in the crankcase is somewhat rare too...
I did catch it early, i dont know when it occured from the first owner.
Im going to make a thorough check, yes i do hear ticking noise