Need Help Removing "damper rod assembly bolt" - Missing a tool?

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Following the Yamaha FZ6 Service Manual the disassembly of the front forks isn't exactly rocket science...

But of course I run into the issue where I am missing a tool => Damper rod holder / 90890-01294
I can't seem to find a picture of this (best case also some measurements so I could make one myself)?
E-Bay didn't even give me some hits?
Maybe someone could help - otherwise I have to go to Yamaha and pay up. I only have to use this tool once since I will probably sell my FZ6 during 2022.

EDIT: I just called Yamaha Copenhagen and they said this tool is about 3-4.000 DKK => At least 400 USD... If I get desperate it is cheaper to just hand in the forks to Yamaha and let them do it.

Another tool is also mentioned => T-handle / 90890-01326.
I found a picture of this and it just looks like a very long T-handle where one can attach a 1/2" socket onto. This should be easily replaceable with a couple of extenders...

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No special tools required.

If you keep the fork assembled, the first order of operation is to remove the damping rod bolt. With the spring and cap in assembly, the bolt is easily removed. Another tip, before removing the fork from the triple clamp, crack loose the cap by a 1/4 turn. This will make removing the cap SOOOO much easier.

So the easiest order of operations:

1. Loosen the upper triple clamp bots
2. Crack loose the cap by a 1/4 turn
3. Remove fork from triple clamp assembly
4. Remove damping rod bolt
5. Remove fork cap and begin disassembly of the fork.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
No special tools required.

If you keep the fork assembled, the first order of operation is to remove the damping rod bolt. With the spring and cap in assembly, the bolt is easily removed. Another tip, before removing the fork from the triple clamp, crack loose the cap by a 1/4 turn. This will make removing the cap SOOOO much easier.

So the easiest order of operations:

1. Loosen the upper triple clamp bots
2. Crack loose the cap by a 1/4 turn
3. Remove fork from triple clamp assembly
4. Remove damping rod bolt
5. Remove fork cap and begin disassembly of the fork.

Service manual also mentions to start by loosening the cap.

Still not sure how to loosen the damping rod bolt? Do you mean I just assemble the fork again (without tightening the cap too much) and then simply twist the top and bottom to make the damping rod bolt loose?

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Gary => Either you misunderstand me or I misunderstand you?
The cap was the easy part :)
The damping rod bolt… how do I remove it without a tool?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm correct. The bolt that holds the damping rod in place is an M8 Cap Screw. It is accessed from the bottom of the fork. Keep the fork assembled to ease its removal. Use a impact driver because the threads were installed with blue locktite (and you should use that as well during reassembly).ya0107130017.gif

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn I thought you meant the cap itself…
Feel pretty daft now since the drawing (using the special tools in the service manual) made me believe that I had to loosen something deep down inside the fork when, as you mention, its an M8 bolt in the bottom end…

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally had good time to finish. Only a few rides will show it’s good or “try again”…

This “LPS Precision Clean” removed a lot of dirt on the outer tube that brake cleaner couldn’t. We have a stockpile of it at work, so I thought I’d give it a try.

Attachments

• DBE7B672-8DFE-43AF-AC72-ACA8648CE241.jpeg
    DBE7B672-8DFE-43AF-AC72-ACA8648CE241.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8