Replaced my '06 engine with a '07. Feels good to be back on the road.

seanalan329

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my bike 5 years ago the seller neglected to inform me of a very serious issue. I posted about it when I found out, but basically I’m guessing the chain came off on the previous owner and took a chunk out of the engine. There was an attempt to fix it by the last guy with some JB weld. That JB weld failed on me one day and that’s when I discovered the issue. I had a welder fix it, but it always had a small leak. The leak wasn’t too bad around town, but on long rides the chain would sling oil everywhere and really bad on my rear tire.

After a long trip last summer I didn’t want to deal with the leak anymore. I dropped my engine out to try and weld the leak. I couldn’t get it, so I found a good running engine, first time seeing one under $400. Changed the plugs, checked the valves, installed it, flushed all the fluids, replaced the sprockets and chain, and gave it a bath and now I’m ready to ride again.

I basically love this bike. Took it for a quick ride this weekend and it feels better than before. It was always quick before, but it just seems noticeably quicker now, or maybe it’s my imagination. Hoping to get another 5 years out of it, then upgrade to something new. Anyone know how the new FZ/MTs compare to our bikes?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The MT-07 is down 20 hp from an FZ6, but is is also down about 40 pounds. Torque is about the same. Being a twin it is narrower between the knees and has less reciprocating mass, so it's a bit more flickable. Not sure if your FZ has ABS, but it available on the MT-07. Same crappy damping rod forks (43mm on the FZ & 41mm on the MT) - nothing that Gold Valve Emulators can't fix. Similar rear suspension design, but the '18 MT shock now includes adjustable rebound damping.

The fuel injection on the FZ works well. The MT had to meet Euro4 standards so it's a bit snatchy and lean at part-throttle settings.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few head-to-head comparisons between the MT-07 and the KTM 790 Duke. If you are interested in a twin, the Duke may be worth the wait.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Either, but the 7 specifically.

I've ridden the FZ-07 and the FJ (MT)-09 and I wouldn't trade my fz6 for either one.

I found the FZ-07's seat to be intensely uncomfortable, suspension is still cheap and sloppy, and it's generally a better competitor to an SV650 than to our bikes, but with a little bit of motard hooliganism thrown in.

I didn't really dig the FJ-09's triple. I vastly prefer the triumph triples if I'm going to have one. The Tiger 1050 was a really nice ride.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on getting the bike fixed up!

Check out and see if Yamaha has a "Demo Day" at a dealership near you. Costs nothing. No better way to learn what you might like.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the FZ8? Not very popular but just thought I'd ask since we're on the subject. Anyone here ever ridden both?

Also, kinda getting off topic now (sorry), but anyone here ridden the CBR650F?

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ8 was derided as a parts bin special and quickly discontinued. Having ridden it, it's a really friendly bike to ride.

Over the FZ6 it has a broader power band, much lower redline, more torque down low, easier clutch.
On the other hand, it's heavier, no extra power despite the extra displacement, few accessories available for it.

The FZ8 engine is nothing like the "Jekyll and Hide" FZ6. Experienced riders may find the FZ8 boring.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on getting her running again, must feel great to breathe new life into the bike. Was it hard to do?