Riding in the Rain

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What if any aftercare do people do to their bikes after riding in the rain?

Eastern Australia has been raining consistently for the last few weeks and the biggest thing is the clutch cable starting to bind up and wanting some attention. And well the chain just wants some love too.

Anyone go any further?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Ben, I'm down in Melbourne and its dry for now but usually after rain I'll get home hose off the road grit and grime then chamois the bike dry. I wax the chain every 500 kms.
I have one trip meter set for petrol so I know when its getting close and reset it after each fuel up, the other for doing the chain so I can keep track of both. I use chemikers cable oil injection system althopugh I dont know if he still does them but about every 2000 kms I lube the clutch and throttle cables. I was the bike about every 2-3 weeks just to keep tabs on everything- it pays off- once I found the gear linkage bolt loose on the gearbox spline, I'd hate to have that stuff up- but caught it early. cheers

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bikes are made to get wet. However as you have discovered the cables don’t like it one bit. If the bike is really soaked, you can used compressed air to dry out the cable liner, and then re-lube the cables. I would also hit the shift linkage and brake pivots with some lube as well. It’s always good to make sure that all bearing are well greased, because it’s the grease that keeps the water out. Once water gets in, the bearings will have a short life. Finally, dielectric grease at the electrical connectors will keep all of the electrons flowing as intended.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't own a car, ride in the rain all the time;

- engine oil is great for lubing the throttle cable, it keeps it smooth, and lasts quite a bit. I use the same oil as for the engine
- take apart, clean and grease the shifting linkage joints every once in a while. I do it every time I start to feel the shifter having trouble getting into 1st smoothly. I use Yamaha outboard engine grease.
- take apart and clean the kill switch housing, the throttle tube and handlebar underneath, this happened after a particularly dusty rainfall;

Attachments

• 20210318_221728.jpg
    20210318_221728.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210318_221741.jpg
    20210318_221741.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 19