Riding on base?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm now working on a Navy Base, in Dahlgren Va. Last time I rode a motorcycle on a base was NAS Miramar, in 1990. Things have changed a bit. :)

It seems the Navy now requires riders to re-take a training course every three years. You also need to wear some sort of reflective vest? Does my 3 color yellow, white, and black high contrast jacket count?

Can I go to the one day refresher class I've signed up for, without a reflective vest? Especially since they don't sell them on Dahlgren?

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say no. It must be reflective. I have a 3-inch stripe of high-vis 3M sewn along my upper back and 2 1-inch bands on each bicep (custom jacket though). It is not a vest, but I have never been questioned on both a Navy and Air Force Base. I know that on one Army base, riders were allowed on with one of those 2-3 inch bands that the runners use during their workouts. If the class is on base, I doubt you would be allowed to travel to it on base without reflective. I am not sure how strict they are about wearing it off base. I wouldn't think you need it at the actual class.

I am surprised that you must take something every 3 years. As far as I was aware, you simply have to have, at some point, completed the MSF Basic Rider Course. Proof of that should suffice, but maybe they have increased requirements. Once you have completed all the hoops, they should pretty much leave you alone. :thumbup: It is basically MSF BRC, ATGATT, some sort of reflective striping, no hassle. Since you have a high-vis jacket, it sounds like all you would need is reflection. Some of it is at the discretion of the Gate Guards, but then you could also be stopped by an MP. :thumbdown:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert on the subject but, the last time I went onto the Air Force Academy, I was told I needed a high vis vest (I had on a black mesh jacket) but my husband did not need one (he had on a silver mesh jacket). I would check with the base security. And BTW, they had the vis vest at the front gates to borrow, maybe cause the AFA has lots of visitors??
And it's not so horrible having to take a refresher course is it? If it were offered to me for free, I'd do it! :thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The AF base I work on requires a brightly-colored, long-sleeved upper garment, that falls within the requirements of this:

BrightColorsHill.jpg

Can you say "micromanagement"? :rolleyes: It doesn't have to be a motorcycle jacket, I can ride onto base in just a white dress shirt, but not in my silver/black MC jacket. The BX sells MC helmets, but they only come in flat black!

Sure hope your Navy base is less anal than where I work... :disapprove:

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been working on a Navy base for several years. They don't enforce the vest rule. Last I heard, they even revoked it. AFAIK, the "every three years" rule only applies to military and government personnel and not contractors. Pretty sure military and government folks can get a discount on their training course or even get it for free.
Maybe things are just lax here, though, because it's just a small depot.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a message that came out not to long ago about the CG changing that instruction from required to recomended. I still wear my ICON Hi-Vis vest into work but usually take it off when leaving. Im not sure if that covers the rest of the military.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've been working on a Navy base for several years. They don't enforce the vest rule. Last I heard, they even revoked it. AFAIK, the "every three years" rule only applies to military and government personnel and not contractors. Pretty sure military and government folks can get a discount on their training course or even get it for free.
Maybe things are just lax here, though, because it's just a small depot.

That's the impression I got from the contractors I have talked to, that ride. I asked the instructor on base by telephone, and the course is offered to gov't employees and active duty, retirees (me)on a space A basis, and not at all to contractors.

The contractor I spoke to seemed to think as long as you'd been through the course at some point, or said that you had, you wouldn't be bothered.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
The AF base I work on requires a brightly-colored, long-sleeved upper garment, that falls within the requirements of this:

BrightColorsHill.jpg

Can you say "micromanagement"? :rolleyes: It doesn't have to be a motorcycle jacket, I can ride onto base in just a white dress shirt, but not in my silver/black MC jacket. The BX sells MC helmets, but they only come in flat black!

Sure hope your Navy base is less anal than where I work... :disapprove:

I have seen vests for sale, on Andrews AFB, but nothing in any other exchange I have been in recently (East coast). Anal? Not so sure... the safety department here is quite isolated from reality, in many, many, many regards.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm no expert on the subject but, the last time I went onto the Air Force Academy, I was told I needed a high vis vest (I had on a black mesh jacket) but my husband did not need one (he had on a silver mesh jacket). I would check with the base security. And BTW, they had the vis vest at the front gates to borrow, maybe cause the AFA has lots of visitors??
And it's not so horrible having to take a refresher course is it? If it were offered to me for free, I'd do it! :thumbup:

Mama is quite happy with me taking a refresher course, and to be honest it never hurts to have skills appraised for any bad habits that develop since the last check.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I would say no. It must be reflective. I have a 3-inch stripe of high-vis 3M sewn along my upper back and 2 1-inch bands on each bicep (custom jacket though). It is not a vest, but I have never been questioned on both a Navy and Air Force Base. I know that on one Army base, riders were allowed on with one of those 2-3 inch bands that the runners use during their workouts. If the class is on base, I doubt you would be allowed to travel to it on base without reflective. I am not sure how strict they are about wearing it off base. I wouldn't think you need it at the actual class.

I am surprised that you must take something every 3 years. As far as I was aware, you simply have to have, at some point, completed the MSF Basic Rider Course. Proof of that should suffice, but maybe they have increased requirements. Once you have completed all the hoops, they should pretty much leave you alone. :thumbup: It is basically MSF BRC, ATGATT, some sort of reflective striping, no hassle. Since you have a high-vis jacket, it sounds like all you would need is reflection. Some of it is at the discretion of the Gate Guards, but then you could also be stopped by an MP. :thumbdown:

Since the new bike is a lime green ZX6..... doesn't that count at high viz? Radioactive Snot seems to be the color....

mksamsonite

Reaction score
Visit site
There was a message that came out not to long ago about the CG changing that instruction from required to recomended. I still wear my ICON Hi-Vis vest into work but usually take it off when leaving. Im not sure if that covers the rest of the military.

the coastguard did recently update it not requireing the high vis and reflective but if i was to ride on a diferent base like an army or airforce i would have to abide by there standards which still require it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

After talking with a couple of other contractors that ride on base, I got to digging to see what the actual requirement is, for a non DoD/Department of the Navy, who works on base is to operate a bike, there.

The Dept of Defense standard specifically says that there is not a requirement for contractors (i.e., not on active duty, or a USN civilian direct hire employee) to show proof of completion of MSF training.

Looking at the Mid Atlantic US Navy website, it appears this is consistent with their requirements, as well. It's just stated in such a way as to imply that anyone riding on base must have completed MSF training in any 3 year period.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of Hi Viz, yet. Whether that is merely recommended or if it is required.

A call to pass and ID is in order, I think.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
Well here is the new requirements for ALL military personell. You have to have at least a reflective vest or belt. Reflective belt will be worn on all outer garments (if you are wearing a back pack, there must be one around the back pack as well). Over the ankle boots are a requirement. BRC is a requirement !!! Experienced riders course for the cruisers within a year of the BRC, and the sport bike riders course within a year of the BRC for the sport bikes. A refresher is only due every three years after that. If you have any more questions, please ask me. I am the motorcycle safety guy for my company, so I have to keep up on all this. Hope this helps.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
By "all personnel" you mean all DoD, civilian and military members correct? Also, does this apply to contractors?

Last edited:

SpinFire51

Reaction score
Visit site
Up at APG they require long pants, visible shirt/jackets with long sleeves, gloves, and a helmet. At night time you get the added requirement of reflective clothing. I get away with my white/black Yamaha Joe Rocket jacket. Friends at work have gotten pulled over before for "not being visible enough," to which the obvious smart ass response is, "if you couldn't see me how did you pull me over". The MPs didn't see the humor in that comment.

Each post probably has different requirements, you just need to look them up. APG got rid of the MSF card requirement. I believe active military have specific requirements that are common everywhere. Civilians/contractor rules probably differ depending on what base you are on.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, should have worded that different. It is all Military personel. The DOD, and civilian contractors dont have to go by these rules. SpinFire51- you are correct, long pants, long sleeve, gloves, over the ankle boots, etc. are also a requirement. Thanks all.

massaudio

Reaction score
Visit site
To all that it affects.....got word the other day that the military is doing away with the PT Belt. It hasnt been sent down all the way yet, but it is going to be a standard of a full leather jacket, or a textile jacket with pads. No more pt belt or vest, and then of course the other regular stuff of boots, helmet, and gloves. Hope this helps every one.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a FYI

Page 13 is the meat and potatoes for motorcycle riders.

It is still up to the Commanding Officers what requirements he or she wants to add for their respective base. So to be "sure" ask the AHJ what their requirements are.

DoDI 6055.4

Last edited: