Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Joep our cat was killed on Monday night/ Tuesday morning.

He was poisoned by a guy in the street who put down poisoned chicken on a patch of public ground, next to his house. There has been 4 other cats who have been killed and a couple missing.
As you can imagine I'm devastated, especially with the way it happened. The police have searched the suspects house and found the same poison. There is more evidence as the neighbour heard the guy say "we got the red one (cat) we won't be seeing him again" (which in hindsight was refering to our neighbours cat ), the same guy also threatened the couple across the street saying "I will get your cat".

It has been in the paper and even on TV, the press have been hanging around here the last couple of days. Here are a couple of links (for those who speak Dutch)

Algemeen Dagblad, RTV NH , NOS. NH Dagblad

Anyway we are waiting to see what happens.

The worst thing was that on Tuesday morning my kids walked out to see my wife off to work, only to find the neighbours cat lying dead in our garden. Anyway we had to go and tell our neighbour what we found, and shortly after this one of the other girls in the street ran to our front door to tell us that she had found our (dead) cat in the allyway on her way to school, only my daughters answered the door :-(.

RIP Joep:

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh Martin, that's awful! I hope they prosecute that SOB to the fullest extent of the law! What kind of sick person would do such a thing?

I know how devastating losing a member of the family can be :( John & I lost our dog last year, and I still cry when I think about him.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear that.
That is pretty awful thing to do that.

Cats vs Pigeon(s) and this guy bought poison.
I don't know whether to feel bad for loss of his pigeon(s) or his stupidity.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh Martin, that's awful! I hope they prosecute that SOB to the fullest extent of the law! What kind of sick person would do such a thing?

I know how devastating losing a member of the family can be :( John & I lost our dog last year, and I still cry when I think about him.

I must admit I think that you have a stronger bond with a dog so IMO that would be worse. It just made it so much harder with the kids being involved.

Sorry to hear that.
That is pretty awful thing to do that.

Cats vs Pigeon(s) and this guy bought poison.
I don't know whether to feel bad for loss of his pigeon(s) or his stupidity.

Yeah but it wasn't our cat that got his Pigeon.
The poison wasn't in his own back yard (as this was well fenced off against cats) but on public ground next to his house, He recently moved into the neighbourhood (about 4 months ago), and these cats have been living here for years. But you're right about his stupidity, poisoning cats (in your own back yard) doesn't carry a large penalty but leaving poison on public ground does. He will also be getting charged for preparing Halhal meat on his own premises, as the police also found evidence of this (if this was for the the pigeons or for sheep etc was not clear).

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What a pathetic excuse for a human being. It amazes me how depraved people can be. Understand I am NOT an animal lover, but to wantonly kill a living thing for convenience is a crime. My condolences.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for you and your family Martin.

My cat's been with me 13 years and is my daughter/ a part of the family..

It really sucks that SOB would do that, ESPECIALLY on public property...

My condolences, I hope your justice system is better than ours and he gets some time behind bars, the more the better......

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm very sorry to he this Martin. We don't need that kind of person as a neighbor. I am also especially sorry to hear your kids had to go through that.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for your loss, def doesn't sit well loosing a pet. Hopefully someone can feed that troll what he was leaving behind. And I do like the facebook idea, words spread quicker than fire

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I too am sorry for your loss. What if kids got a hold of the poisoned meat? Very scary. What would the law have done then? Hang him!

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 65513

Martin,

Your initial response was to think about the kids and you are spot on, however a little piece of us leaves us when we lose a family pet. I apologize for the pic, but 1/2 way around the world it is uncanny how similar living things can appear. All of our pets, mostly cats, were strays unwanted by their previous owners and somehow started hanging around until we took them in.
I am sorry. When the time is right, I am sure you can help another unwanted pet have an enjoyable life filled with lots of love.

Ken

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your family pet
I hope the b@stard gets his just desserts

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone for their kind words (both in this thread as in PM's), it is a terrible loss and we will miss him dearly.

Sorry for you and your family Martin.

My cat's been with me 13 years and is my daughter/ a part of the family..

It really sucks that SOB would do that, ESPECIALLY on public property...

My condolences, I hope your justice system is better than ours and he gets some time behind bars, the more the better......

Scott he was definately a part of the family, and we all miss him. Unfortunately our justice system is more leniant than yours so although there is a maximum sentence of 2 years, one of which is probationary, this can be affected by other factors and transferred to a suitable fine (most people seem to think he will get about 40 days community service).

What an ass. Out him on facebook and get the whole world mad at him.
We have been warned against this by our neighbourhood police women, we have already seen how this can get out of hand as everybody makes their own assumptions, and even worse the press are always looking for a juicy story so they quite often make up a story to fill in the blanks. As an example a large group of people were ready to lynch someone who's house was in the paper with a police man at the door (assuming that he was the culprit), luckily this could be stopped in time as this was simply one of the neighbours being asked if they had seen/heard anything. We also have to be careful not to say anything about the guy being Marrocan as he can easily make a case that he was discriminated against.

I too am sorry for your loss. What if kids got a hold of the poisoned meat? Very scary. What would the law have done then? Hang him!
Exactly Monica, I really hope they can throw the book at him on this one, but it is less clear into which catagory this will fall :-(

View attachment 65513
Martin,
Your initial response was to think about the kids and you are spot on, however a little piece of us leaves us when we lose a family pet. I apologize for the pic, but 1/2 way around the world it is uncanny how similar living things can appear. All of our pets, mostly cats, were strays unwanted by their previous owners and somehow started hanging around until we took them in.
I am sorry. When the time is right, I am sure you can help another unwanted pet have an enjoyable life filled with lots of love.
Ken

Your cat looks similar to ours Ken, we also got Joep from the cat sancturary, as he was a stray, and he was so soft natured a real "cuddle cat" which really made him a family member. As you can imagine we are holding off getting another pet until this mess is all sorted out.

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So sorry for your loss, Martin. I'm a firm believer in karma. What goes around, comes around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: RIP Joep, our cat. // No respect for Cowards!

Sorry for your loss Martin and my condolences to your family. I have a very strong dislike for cowards!

Not to derail here but some laws are just foolish with regards to there sentence. To your point here in the US pets appear to have near equal rights as people. Harm an animal or rape a person and its nearly the same sentence. My point is that knowing people who are/were harmed by others makes me sick that 2 to 5 years is the penalty for changing a person for a lifetime. Its not right. Ya, physically the person may be OK, but the damage done lasts a lifetime while the coward simply moves on. I'm all for stricter sentences for crimes against people and animals.