RIP Nicky Hayden

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am really surprised there isn't already a thread about this.

From motogp.com

It is with deep sadness that we report the passing of MotoGP™ Legend Nicky Hayden, after the American was involved in a collision with a car when cycling on the Riviera di Rimini last Wednesday. Hayden had been rushed to a local hospital before being transferred to the Bufalini Hospital in Cesena.

He later succumbed to injuries sustained and passed away on Monday evening. He was 35 years old.

We wish to pass on our deepest condolences to Hayden’s family, friends, team and fans at this difficult time.

Statement from Tommy Hayden, on behalf of the Hayden family:

“On behalf of the whole Hayden family and Nicky’s fiancée Jackie I would like to thank everyone for their messages of support – it has been a great comfort to us all knowing that Nicky has touched so many people’s lives in such a positive way.

“Although this is obviously a sad time, we would like everyone to remember Nicky at his happiest – riding a motorcycle. He dreamed as a kid of being a pro rider and not only achieved that but also managed to reach the pinnacle of his chosen sport in becoming World Champion. We are all so proud of that.

“Apart from these ‘public’ memories, we will also have many great and happy memories of Nicky at home in Kentucky, in the heart of the family. We will all miss him terribly.

“It is also important for us to thank all the hospital staff for their incredible support – they have been very kind. With the further support of the authorities in the coming days we hope to have Nicky home soon.”

RIP Nicky, you rode 300km/h plus on a race bike and died riding a bicycle. Tragic irony.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was also surprised to not see anything here on the forum and this is the first I've heard of his passing. I am so sad to hear the Kentucky Kid has passed...
hamilton.jpg

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not too surprised, MotoGP isn't covered in any of my local news, nor in the national news unless they get to show someone getting run over or lots of fire.
RIP Nicky.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
So sad indeed. Watched him race at Sears Point in AMA and Laguna Seca in Moto GP. Nicky was a class act and a pleasure to watch him race.

Just proves the street is much more dangerous than the race track, be careful out there people!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree. People warn me all the time "motorcycling is dangerous how can you do that" then they get on their road bicycles and ride around. It's tragic he died riding a street bicycle. Nicky was admired by all in his chosen profession. Not everyone can say that. Makes one aspire to be a better person in work-life and in general.

Happy trails Nicky! Condolences to his family and friends.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

This quote from the article above reminded me of the first "On Any Sunday" movie and why American riders were so dominant in the days from KR Senior:

“Nicky [with flat-track] had the same schooling of all the American champions that came before him. I think a lot of that came from his father Earl, who was a dirt-track racer also. He saw that there were more opportunities in roadracing and got them into that right away. But never really going away from his roots, Nicky had all the abilities dirt-track teaches you to be a good roadracer. He’s probably going to be the last American world champion who had that kind of background.”

Rossi is taking this background and teaching the kids at his Motor Ranch what it means to be an all round rider and when you see how his prodigies are doing in Moto3 and Moto2 it is an ominous sign for non-Italian road racers.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree and thought the same thing. Rossi learned with his father through flat-track and still trains that way to this day. Rossi obviously recognized that was instrumental in making him the racer he is today. For him to begin training the new crop of racers in this manner speaks volumes. I wonder if the American MotoAmerica organizers are paying attention to this.

I wish I was 35 years younger. I would start with dirt riding and then move into roadracing. I have the desire and nerve to race (fast) but age is not on my side. I did a little dirt before (not flat track racing - lol) starting to ride street. I had a bad off and didn't like it after that. (I got up and rode another 40+ miles that day) Truth be told, I never really liked it. I rode dirt a few times after that, but not to enthusiastic. My hubby still rides dirt and I happily let him go off with his buddies.... I find a street group to go out with. lol My big desire with motorcycle riding to go on long multi-day rides. Seeing the sights while taking in the most curves.