Roads closed to motorbikes in Germany.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately for us bikers there are many roads in Germany that are closed to bikers. Some are always closed to us and others are only closed to bikers on the weekend :(
I recently found this link to a german website, listing all the roads effected by this: BundesVerband Der Motorrad

The words at the top are the links to the lists:

Aufgehobene Sperrungen................. repealed closures
Verhinderte Sperrungen................... prevented closures
Von Sperrung bedrohte Strecken........Threatened closure of routes

Nachtfahrverbote............................night driving restrictions
Sperrungen an Sonn- und Feiertagen .Closures on Sundays and public holidays
Vollsperrungen................................full closures

Unfortunately my browser apparently has problems with the German letters (not used in English for example Üöäß) and replaces them with either a square or a question mark :confused:

The PLZ code in the first column is a German postcode and if you use this site for example you can fill in the postcode and it will mark it on the map

This is the best list I could find, if you know of another (better) list please post it here.

If you have any experience of roads closed (specifically to motorbikes), anywhere at all please post it here as well, cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful with Google translate, this is what could happen

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMkJuDVJdTw]Fresh Prince: Google Translated | cdza Opus No. 16 - YouTube[/ame]

And sorry for your roads being closed, the American Motorcyclist Association fights for riders rights and prevents this kind of stuff happening here in the states.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I think that's kind of BS to close any roads to motorcycles. Not sure why they do that as I don't do german my self but roads are roads and should be for everybody!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Fresh Prince: Google Translated | cdza Opus No. 16 - YouTube

And sorry for your roads being closed, the American Motorcyclist Association fights for riders rights and prevents this kind of stuff happening here in the states.
The BundesVerband Der Motorrad is a similar group that look out for riders rights. It's not entirely clear to me why the roads are closed? I think the night time closures may be related to residential noise pollution?

Neil

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My German is not very good as I can't read a word of it so tell me why they close roads to motorbikes?

It's due to numerous reasons, mainly due to the hooligans who go racing around the area when it's busy, which unfortunately causes these kinds of actions. Others are as Nelly says due to noise pollution, mainly in residential area's which are fun to ride at speed. In europe it is well known that Germany has many roads closed to bikers but it is never clear which ones, which was why I was pleased to find this list.

Fresh Prince: Google Translated | cdza Opus No. 16 - YouTube

I agree google translate is not a 1 to 1 translation, but it is generally enough to pick out the general meaning of it all.

In Holland there are several organisations which do this the KNMV and the MAG (motorcycle action group) among others. The later also has a website to report possible closures to bikes, so they can take up the case with the local council. I've only ever come across one of these roads in Holland, the photo was in an old thread here but it seems that it's disappeared, I'll have to look on my backup.
I'm not sure which organisations defend riders rights in Germany, but I think that this may be one of them

Yes I think that's kind of BS to close any roads to motorcycles. Not sure why they do that as I don't do german my self but roads are roads and should be for everybody!

Agreed, I found this info whilst searching for info on the proposed closing of certain roads in the Alsace region of France, as it seems to have triggered a discussion about bikers rights in europe.

The BundesVerband Der Motorrad is a similar group that look out for riders rights. It's not entirely clear to me why the roads are closed? I think the night time closures may be related to residential noise pollution?

Neil

Actually they tried to close a road near here due to noise pollution, the road is on the otherside of a river which runs past a village, anyway with the intervention of action groups they put up a sign post asking bikers to use low revs on that stretch, which seems more reasonable to me. Ill have to take a pic sometime.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well here's a picture with a Dutch road shut to bikes (but open to cars):

IMG_0524.JPG

This was me and Ton back in 2008 :eek:

It was on the "lekdijk west" near a popular "quaint" town Schoonhoven.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually they tried to close a road near here due to noise pollution, the road is on the otherside of a river which runs past a village, anyway with the intervention of action groups they put up a sign post asking bikers to use low revs on that stretch, which seems more reasonable to me. Ill have to take a pic sometime.

Went out for a short ride this afternoon, took a pic of the notice board I was on about:

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Translated it means "lower revs = less hinderance" BTW the speed limit is 60 here not only for bikes. I guess it works as otherwise they could have banned bikers from that stretch of road :eek:.

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. Turns out the main street into the next town (closest one with much of anything aside from residences and groceries) is closed to motorcycles according to that last post of yours. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow when I'm headed that way.

On a side note, is there a way to search for members by location?

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Click on COMMUNITY. It's on the second menu bar near the center-top. Then from the pick list, select MEMBERS LIST.

After the list loads select SEARCH MEMBERS from the right-most end of the bar at the header to the table ~ halfway down the screen. In the dialog bx that opens, click on ADVANCED SEARCH just under the text entry area.

This will open a screen that lets you search in certain fields of the members descriptions. One of these is LOCATION. Type the text you want to look for. It will take partial matches. The term Germany brings up a lot of hits. Only a few people also entered their city.

Good Luck!

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Genereally in the UK there's not really a problem with roads closed to bikes. Though often they will put a ridiculous amount of speed cameras on a "biker road". I used to live in Nottingham and rode up to the Cat and Fiddle through the peak district (one of the better riding roads), only to find it was actually an average speed camera zone. (For those of you lucky to not know what this is: as the name describes, a picture at the beginning of the road, a picture at the end. If the time stamp on the pictures is too close together, your average speed was over the limit --> you were speeding --> speeding ticket in the post).
Alternatively, a sign they like very much in the peaks is "Helicopter speed enforcement zone". I don't even want to get into an economical argument about fining a speeding bike £60 and operating a 4-crew helicopter (and thereby annoying the entire region in the process) :confused:

Lastly, this has caused a bit of irritation recently: Brent council introduce motorcycle ban - Motorcycle news: Bizarre - Visordown

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
(For those of you lucky to not know what this is: as the name describes, a picture at the beginning of the road, a picture at the end. If the time stamp on the pictures is too close together, your average speed was over the limit --> you were speeding --> speeding ticket in the post).

So do they give you a ticket based on how much over the speed limit you were on average? Just take a coffee break 100 ft from the last camera. (How you keep your coffee from spilling while you drag-a-knee on Cat and Fiddle, I don't know).

CountryBoy

Reaction score
Visit site
So do they give you a ticket based on how much over the speed limit you were on average? Just take a coffee break 100 ft from the last camera. (How you keep your coffee from spilling while you drag-a-knee on Cat and Fiddle, I don't know).

Honestly I'm not sure, because another daft law in the UK is that all speed cameras have to be signposted. So obviously, abide by the signs and.... :Flip: "da police" so to speak.

They were clever on the cat and fiddle road though. There's a section on the way up on one side, and a section on the way down the other side. The pub sits between the two camera zones... So you can't even stop there for a drink and wait for time to go by.

Though frankly, it's such a popular road, that you'd struggle to go fast on a busy summers day.

When I rode that road, the 60mph average was not a problem because I went there on my 125 so I could corner like hell, and take it easy on the straights... easy=full throttle=75mph....
IMG_0568.jpg

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. Turns out the main street into the next town (closest one with much of anything aside from residences and groceries) is closed to motorcycles according to that last post of yours. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow when I'm headed that way.

Did you find the road that is closed to bikes? I don,t know how up to date the site is, but I can say That the entry near waldbrol is correct, as I passed it last summer, but luckily it was a friday :thumbup:

Last edited:

scidork

Reaction score
Visit site
The person I was with didn't drive that way unfortunately. As I've only been in Germany for a couple months and wanted to wait until I had found my long term apartment, I don't have a drivers license just yet (which might complicate things depending on if and to what extent my US license is accepted). As a result, I have to wait for a chance to ride that way again an make a request to swing by the road. FWIW, it's the road between Hoxter and Holzminden.