RV + Motorcycle

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone here have any experience in an RV (or TT or 5th) with bringing the motorcycle along? Ive been trying to do tons of research on the topic as Im somewhat seriously thinking of getting rid of my apartment next year when the time comes to renew the lease (Wont be till Aug 2015 so I have the time) and getting a MH/TT/or 5th and fulltiming it for a couple of years and doing some hardcore traveling. Ive found some great options of all three that I would be pretty happy with had the motorcycle not been an issue but theres no way in the world I would ever leave my baby behind. It does complicate things though...

I have some ideas and such already but Ill save those to see what kind of responses I get. Upfront cost/length(shorter is better for city parking and some stealthish living but I dont necessarily want to live in a van either as I do want some internal space and a toilet/shower plus some cooking space)/gas mileage are all considerations.

One specific question I suppose I should ask now is has anyone ever pulled a travel trailer with pickup while having a motorcycle in the bed? Ive never owned a pickup before (though I have driven a few, even parallel parked one with a car on a trailer in Brooklyn once too) so I have no experience whatsoever with their capacities and what I can get away with. Think something like an F-150 pulling a non monster sized travel trailer with my FZ6 in the bed, can it be safely done for a long period of time?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I made my own trailer pictured below as well as a set up for the back of my Toyota Four Runner.

For your bike, you need to find someone (a steel fabricator) to bend up a motorcycle rail. Obviously wide enough for the rear wheel and a bent up (and welded stop), same as on the below trailer.

With an RV or 5th wheel, some 2x3" steel or 4" x 4" at least .25" thick aluminum rails (2) will be needed. The rails can bolt up (sticking out the rear) to the main frame. The motorcycle rail, will bolt atop it. Your bike will be strapped down to one of the rails (either drill 2 attachment holes) or weld on two tabs.

Another rack should be made up to use as a ramp. For the ramp, I bent, then welded steel dowel (2) to the end of the rack towards the outside(1/8 steel). On the rack bolted to the RV, drill 2 holes. The ramp then simply, with the bent hooks, locks into the rack.

For my Toyota, I went the aluminum supports and they simply bolt to the frame of the truck(sticking out). One of the rails simply bolts to that. The bike does stick out a little on each side so I kinda stick with the trailer.

Suspension wise, I have 500 lb air bag "supports" that go inside the stock, rear coil springs (not air shocks).

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Think something like an F-150 pulling a non monster sized travel trailer with my FZ6 in the bed, can it be safely done for a long period of time?

The truck will handle the bike easily in the bed, we stuffed two bikes in the bed of an F150 on a vacation trip to the Smokies.

Powerwise, if your pulling a trailer, a V6 probably won't cut it. With our two bikes, a sportster and a Suzuki Savage 650, just going uphill on the interstate (no trailer) was WOT....

My brother in law has a decent sized 5th wheel. He went with a F250 and traded his F150. The 250 isn't a problem...

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
Remember you'll lose your truck bed for the receiver if you opt for a 5th wheel. I see lots of folks up our way with different configurations for rv's and motorcycles. If it were me I'd stay with the bike in the bed of the truck and a smaller trailer. The option of keeping your bike in the bed of the truck is probably the cheapest....plus I like to see what's happening to it (hopefully nothing) while I'm driving. Lots of good stands/supports for the bed of the truck out there as well...and cheap. Save your money for the travelling portion.

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my solution. It's got 10 feet of garage in front and 22 feet of living space with all the creature comforts. I pull it with a dodge 2500 diesel and have no problems. The trailer is about 7000 pounds fully loaded.

happyker

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The truck will handle the bike easily in the bed, we stuffed two bikes in the bed of an F150 on a vacation trip to the Smokies.

Powerwise, if your pulling a trailer, a V6 probably won't cut it. With our two bikes, a sportster and a Suzuki Savage 650, just going uphill on the interstate (no trailer) was WOT....

My brother in law has a decent sized 5th wheel. He went with a F250 and traded his F150. The 250 isn't a problem...

Thats somewhat what I expected, though I didnt think about the truck not having the power, I was more thinking about the actual downward weight messing up the handling of the truck or something. Guess it makes sense though. How long does the bed have to be to close the lift gate though? Since its one bike not two could I easily put in in diagonal?

Here's my solution. It's got 10 feet of garage in front and 22 feet of living space with all the creature comforts. I pull it with a dodge 2500 diesel and have no problems. The trailer is about 7000 pounds fully loaded.

Ive looked at a LOT of toyhaulers (on the internet I mean, though I did go to an RV show months back) and considering I want to go shorter and they are generally more expensive Im not sure they are doable for my first setup. I do really like yours though and dont know why its so hard to find a toyhauler with the door on the side like that. Honestly I wish they made one like that where the side door and garage are is JUST wide enough for a motorcycle. Though the idea of having garage space to work on the bike out of bad weather sounds hugely appealing as well. Plus I dont have to get dressed all nice either just for the neighbors sake lol (Yes I know I probably just set someone up for a joke here, heh).

However, price aside for a minute, I did recently start looking at some of the 5th wheel toyhaulers and think if I went toyhauler than a 5th Wheel toyhauler would be AMAZING (if I can financially pull one off). They are generally huge but I found one or two that seem to be about as long (front of truck to back of trailer I mean, though Ive had a hard time figuring out the exact difference in overall length between the two types) as the much smaller travel trailers I was looking at with the idea of just putting my baby in the bed of the truck. It would also be VERY nice to have a separate bedroom area as many of the smaller trailers and motorhomes I have otherwise been looking at do not have that.

Ive also considered if I were to go the motorhome route getting one of those lifts on the back if it doesnt effect the handling of the MH too much (Ive read many cases where it sadly does) ORRRRR one of my more crazy ideas, finding a way to put on a wider door and just park the bike in my "livingroom." That one might get old fast though, plus Im sure finding a motorhome wide enough to just pull into like that might be hard without something being in the way.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think he had a long bed but yes, diagonal placement in the bed may be better to secure the ft wheel. A couple of ties down hooks thru the bed and you'd be fine. You'll either need a ramp, find a deep culvert to back up to or a loading ramp to get the bike on and off.

Re weight hanging on the back(hitch) of the truck. They make a weight distribution set up(two arm's, attach to chains on the trailer) that when installed, levels the truck and the trailer together so the rear of the truck isn't dropped 6" when hooked up. See link; Strait-Line Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66074

I like WRlomas set up. If your going to be living out of it, IMO, a 5th wheel with a rear "garage" and a truck heavy enough to pull it would be the way to go. A bit more living room..

A used, couple year old unit, like that, can be had for a very good deal (at least down here).

Last edited:

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my trailer for 13 grand brand new. Its a 2007 that I got in 08. Couldn't be happier with the set up. I like the bumper pull rather than the 5th wheel as I still can use my truck for work and hauling stuff.