saeng wing tip review

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Saeng wing tip review. [MENTION=23863]Water Bear[/MENTION] recently inquired on my windscreen and suggested I post up my findings in a new thread :thumbup:

I went for a ride comparing the stock wind shield vs the windshield with the wing tip.

The brand is saeng. Link:https://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=583&category=72
I bought it used on this forum last year. Got it right before winter so I never compared it very well. I have been telling myself to do a proper comparison, but Water Bears inquiry was what I needed to get it done.

Some things to note. I am 5'10”. I have the fz6r handle bars installed, my seat is very slightly higher than stock, and my riding position is upright.

I rode with the stock screen, came home, reinstalled the wingtip, and took it for a ride again. I rode the same exact route both times to keep conditions consistent. At lower speeds ( <50mph ) a slight difference is noticed with wind being lower on my body with stock. Once I got on the expressway and took the speed up to 60+ is when I noticed a big difference. I usually cruise on the expressway at 70-75mph.

Stock screen puts a lot of forceful wind right at nipple/armpit level making it feel like I was being pulled backward, and wind buffeting at my head gave me the bobblehead effect. With the wing tip at lower speeds I did notice wind wasn't as low on my chest, but nothing drastic. Again, got on the expressway and noticed a big difference. Wind now skims across the top of my shoulders instead of pushing on my chest. The wind was put at about neck/chinbar level. I definitely felt more at ease and didn't feel like the wind was pulling me off the bike. Also helped to reduce buffeting at the helmet; my head felt more still. Altogether I felt like I didn't have to fight the wind like I did with the stock screen. Wind noise wasn't something that popped out as me as a big difference, but I ride with ear plugs anyways.

The wing tip is effective for reducing buffeting at helmet level and for keeping a lot of forceful wind off the chest. Both contributing to a more relaxed ride, and much less fatigue!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review! Very informative for those of us not sure what the best way to deal with the wind is.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How much does the reduced wind on your chest and helmet affect ventilation for the jacket and helmet?

I have been torn on these for a while now. My first bike was a 1982 XJ650 (naked UJM style bike) and I love the feel of the wind against me. The short sporty stock wind screen on the FZ6 seems like a pretty nice compromise to me already, though it does create some serious buffeting at chest level.

The one bike I rode with a laminar lip was a Vstrom 650 and I was in dead air behind the windscreen (though the bike had been outfitted for and had successfully ridden the Dalton Highway, so it may have just been to aggressive on the wind reduction). I found this bike to be too warm with the lack of air, and downright boring.

As always, thanks for a great review man.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How much does the reduced wind on your chest and helmet affect ventilation for the jacket and helmet?

I have been torn on these for a while now. My first bike was a 1982 XJ650 (naked UJM style bike) and I love the feel of the wind against me. The short sporty stock wind screen on the FZ6 seems like a pretty nice compromise to me already, though it does create some serious buffeting at chest level.

The one bike I rode with a laminar lip was a Vstrom 650 and I was in dead air behind the windscreen (though the bike had been outfitted for and had successfully ridden the Dalton Highway, so it may have just been to aggressive on the wind reduction). I found this bike to be too warm with the lack of air, and downright boring.

As always, thanks for a great review man.

Helmet ventilation is not effected. I still feel a lot of air through my exo700. Wind still make it to your chest so ventilation through my Olympia airglide is still plentiful. It's just not a blast of strong forceful wind that feels like it's pushing you of the bike at hwy speeds. More of a quick breeze compared to the stocker? Lol The wing tip can be pivoted to different positions to block more or less wind.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Helmet ventilation is not effected. I still feel a lot of air through my exo700. Wind still make it to your chest so ventilation through my Olympia airglide is still plentiful. It's just not a blast of strong forceful wind that feels like it's pushing you of the bike at hwy speeds. More of a quick breeze compared to the stocker? Lol The wing tip can be pivoted to different positions to block more or less wind.

Interesting, I will have to play with these more after I solve the issues that cause actual problems. My current biggest discomforts are the seat and throttle. I have an airhawk which I am still struggling to get into a comfortable position for me. And the throttle I already have a throttle lock, and just ordered a cramp buster. I am hoping the combination will solve the 2 main issues(constant pressure-cramp buster, and moving/stretching hand-throttle lock) with the throttle. By comparison everything else on the bike feels like a spa, lol.

My last helmet was the exo1000. The one good thing that came out of my get off was all new gear. I didn't hate the scorpion, but I was really excited at the opportunity to get a lighter helmet with better ventilation. And I only had to shell out a little out of pocket to upgrade to the Shoei Qwest. I love the Shoei and wish I had taken the advice given to me when I started "buy the best helmet you can possibly afford". It was the second best decision I ever made regarding motorcycles, only to buying an FZ6.