Safe while stopped? Think again

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm usually worried about people coming up on my 6 every time I stop, now I have to start worrying about the vehicles coming from my 12 in REVERSE! After watching the vehicle, there is a chance that I would have not seen the car reversing since I normally would be watching my six, but if I did, I would have definitely used my horn, it's my natural instinct to do so. But not a guarantee that it would have helped.

Always leave room for an escape route, have your bike in gear and practice conducting your 90 degree turns from a stop.

LiveLeak.com - Female driver gets stuck in intersection...BACKS UP AND NEARLY KILLS BIKER

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well. That is one biker who is super fortunate he saw it coming and also that he had a helmet cam running! Looks like he will be getting a brand new bike.

Never underestimate the stupidity of drivers. You have 15 year olds who don't know what they are doing and 90 year olds who can't tell a motorcycle from a garbage bag!

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I LOVE how the driver stops after they ran over the front of the bike... then gasses it and drives over the rest of the bike!!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
To add a bit more information to the thread, the driver was a student driver who had braked too late for the red light and reversed without looking. Obviously this is no excuse, but it's a bit more understandable since it was a brand new driver and an overwhelming situation.

I feel bad for the guy on the bike though On the bright side, he should get a shiny new bike from their insurance company!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I LOVE how the driver stops after they ran over the front of the bike... then gasses it and drives over the rest of the bike!!

Yeah..."Looks like I didn't get the rider.... Hmmm... maybe there was a passenger!"

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked into a hotel in Tooele UT a few years ago, pulled into the "check in" lane by the front door behind a full-sized van. Went inside and the van driver was just finishing her check in. She got back in her van and I started talking to the clerk, saw her start up the van and the back-up lights didn't turn off...
c'mon....
c'mon....
:eek:
She started backing up, and I lunged for the front door; she stopped and put the van into "Drive" before she hit my bike, but damn that scared me!
I'm more careful where I park now, even for a short time.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
As ChanceCoats123 said, the rider had a lucky day, with no scratches, lot of room to escape, filming on camera, bike completely screwed to get a new bike.
The car looks latest, means, they should have full coverage, unless the driver paid full cash down and riding without insurance(if that state permits).
Anyway, the rider could make a right turn, unless he stopped the engine on a red light ( like I do sometimes), then it is tough to escape with the bike. May be time to upgrade my horn.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
unless he stopped the engine on a red light ( like I do sometimes), then it is tough to escape with the bike. May be time to upgrade my horn.

Why would you want to turn your engine off while you're at a red light?

You would be surprised how many riders are unable to conduct a 90 degree turn from a stop. Full lock turn and ride.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Well. That is one biker who is super fortunate he saw it coming and also that he had a helmet cam running! Looks like he will be getting a brand new bike.

Never underestimate the stupidity of drivers. You have 15 year olds who don't know what they are doing and 90 year olds who can't tell a motorcycle from a garbage bag!

I had the sweetest old lady have her car come towed in because it wouldnt start, she gave me her house key and said it wouldnt start :eek: I asked for the key that had the "H" (it was an accord) and she said that none of her keys fit, after rummaging in her handbag she brought out the correct keys and explained to me that they were for her late husbands shed. I felt horribly guilty as I called the sheriff, even thinking that she could have hit me or my girlfriend (2008 GSXR600) still felt like I was being a nark. but some people just should NOT be driving.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site

to be honest I also cut the bike off at some red lights (i have actually had the time to pull my gloves off, start a timer, and stop it when i see the light turn yellow (well over 6 min) but when i do cut it off, the bike is put in 1st and the switch is to run, all i need is the start button and the bars are centered.

some redlights are just not worth your time. theres one in Senoia that will never sense a motorcycle so almost every late night I run it after stopping.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Female drivers, no survivors :popcorn: !

Saw a gif of that video all over Calamari Race Team and the likes... Can't imagine the logic of "I just hit somebody or some thing, better back up some more."

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
to be honest I also cut the bike off at some red lights but when i do cut it off, the bike is put in 1st and the switch is to run, all i need is the start button and the bars are centered.

I'll do the same when at an intersection and there's at least 4 cars ALREADY stopped behind me.

Should someone decide to do some rear ending, I'm far enough ahead I won't be tagged.

I'll also leave at least two car lenths in front of me (my own cage and bike).

And as noted, the bike will fire up immediatly if need be.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

Its just some muscle memory from a few years ago, to save some gas and heat beneath my thighs. If I just lost the green and I'm the first person at the white line and I know if I have to wait for more than 35 seconds to turn green, I used to turn off the engine.

Anyway, If the engine is running, I don't have any problem conducting that 90 degree escaping/turn from idle.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
to be honest I also cut the bike off at some red lights (i have actually had the time to pull my gloves off, start a timer, and stop it when i see the light turn yellow (well over 6 min) but when i do cut it off, the bike is put in 1st and the switch is to run, all i need is the start button and the bars are centered.

some redlights are just not worth your time. theres one in Senoia that will never sense a motorcycle so almost every late night I run it after stopping.

Its just some muscle memory from a few years ago, to save some gas and heat beneath my thighs. If I just lost the green and I'm the first person at the white line and I know if I have to wait for more than 35 seconds to turn green, I used to turn off the engine.

Anyway, If the engine is running, I don't have any problem conducting that 90 degree escaping/turn from idle.

To the best of my knowledge, no motorcycle training curriculum advises any rider to turn their engine off at a red light. There must be good reasons why. A lot of states have red light bills, laws that will allow motorcyclist to legally run red lights after a certain amount of time has passed. Check with your state, Idaho has a red light law that allows us to run them after one rotation has passed. I have no facts to prove it, but I think it would take more energy and fuel to start your bike than have it idle for a minute or two.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, no motorcycle training curriculum advises any rider to turn their engine off at a red light. There must be good reasons why. A lot of states have red light bills, laws that will allow motorcyclist to legally run red lights after a certain amount of time has passed. Check with your state, Idaho has a red light law that allows us to run them after one rotation has passed.

In WI in my town we have magnetic pickup timed lights. An alunimum and plastic motorcycle just doesnt trigger them. We only have a couple intersection with those (infact only a couple traffic light controlled intersections total) so I usually just zig zag a street over to an intersection thats only controlled by a stop sign.
We also have a 45 second red light law, if you sit for 45 seconds and theres no other traffic around, you can go.
I actually got pulled over after doing this. Grinned ear to ear when i proved the cop wrong!!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge, no motorcycle training curriculum advises any rider to turn their engine off at a red light. There must be good reasons why. A lot of states have red light bills, laws that will allow motorcyclist to legally run red lights after a certain amount of time has passed. Check with your state, Idaho has a red light law that allows us to run them after one rotation has passed. I have no facts to prove it, but I think it would take more energy and fuel to start your bike than have it idle for a minute or two.

no motorcycle training curriculum advises any rider to turn their engine off at a red light:
Yes no one advises, its just my habit, to support my answer, most of the latest model, high end cars come with auto-start and stop functionality, for the same reason i believe.
Of course, the vehicle has to meet some conditions to activate the functionality, for instance:
If it's too hot (over 104 F) or too cold (below 32 F) outside requiring the air conditioning or heating inside, the system remains on. This also applies to ambient cabin temperature, or if the driver has set the heating and ventilation controls to a high setting. If the hood is open, the driver turns the steering wheel or has their belt unbuckled, the system will also deactivate.

In North Carolina, it is 3 mins safe-red-turn law.
North Carolina Adopts "Safe Red Light" Law | Biker News Online