Sail 2013 and the Navy open day

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Went to the combined Sail 2013 and the (Dutch) Navy open day yesterday with my family. Here are few pics:

A couple of kids
IMG_0031.JPG

A couple of subs.
IMG_0036.JPG

A couple of frigates.
IMG_0040.JPG

Tall ships
IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

Old and new

IMG_0074.JPG

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shooting (blanks) with the Marines

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

And then a ride in a BW

IMG_0123.JPG

One of the amphibious transport ships

IMG_0041.JPG

One of the old ships leave the harbour:

IMG_0098.JPG

We disturbed one of the locals:

IMG_0102.JPG

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It was a big shame there weren't many foreign ships this year, I guess this has to do with the budget reductions for the military.

The one ship I had wanted to look around was the Russian corvette Steregushchiy, but it left early, so I didn't get to see it on Sunday (although I had seen it come in the harbour on Wednesday) :(

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great photo's mate , thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Those frigates look very slick & really shows how far we have come over the years don't it :rockon: :rockon:

Girls look like they had a blast too :D

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics! Is that your daughter shooting? She looks like a stone cold killer! ;)

We had "Friendship Day" in Yokosuka where all the locals could get on base and tour the ships. I'm so glad I didn't have duty that day, it's a madhouse with a line that is a few blocks long of people trickling on and off the ship.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great photo's mate , thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Those frigates look very slick & really shows how far we have come over the years don't it :rockon: :rockon:

Girls look like they had a blast too :D

Cheers Humpy, I guess the new "stealthy" ships have much less clutter than they used to. We now have a department which checks radar signature of any new (external) additions to the ships. The girls had a great time :thumbup:

Great pics! Is that your daughter shooting? She looks like a stone cold killer! ;)

We had "Friendship Day" in Yokosuka where all the locals could get on base and tour the ships. I'm so glad I didn't have duty that day, it's a madhouse with a line that is a few blocks long of people trickling on and off the ship.

Yup both my daughters had a go, and loved it, they were only blanks but I guess it was the idea of actually shooting a real weapon that they loved, they could even keep the cases of the blanks they shot :thumbup:

This year there was a big celebration for 525 years of the Dutch Navy, so even the King was present, I was worried that this would mean that it would be really busy, but "luckily" due to terrible weather the previous few days it was really quiet, so no real queues anywhere:thumbup:, In the past I've waited for hours to get aboard certain ships with the kids :(.

It's great to show the kids where I work and what I do, but generally (due to security) the kids aren't allowed on the base, apart from the open days.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup both my daughters had a go, and loved it, they were only blanks but I guess it was the idea of actually shooting a real weapon that they loved, they could even keep the cases of the blanks they shot :thumbup:

This year there was a big celebration for 525 years of the Dutch Navy, so even the King was present, I was worried that this would mean that it would be really busy, but "luckily" due to terrible weather the previous few days it was really quiet, so no real queues anywhere:thumbup:, In the past I've waited for hours to get aboard certain ships with the kids :(.

It's great to show the kids where I work and what I do, but generally (due to security) the kids aren't allowed on the base, apart from the open days.

Thats awesome! I got to do something similar when I was in elementary school..somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade. My dad was a Marine, so we went to an air show at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL. I got to shoot blanks from a M16. It was definitely a great moment of my childhood, so I know how they must feel.

Civilians aren't normally allowed on the base at all? That's much different than here. Over here we can get our dependents (wife/husband, kids) civilian ID cards which gets them onto the base so they can go to the exchange or whatever. Most bases have family housing on them, I graduated high school at Lejeune High on Camp Lejeune, NC which is (I believe) our largest USMC base in the country.

So you're still active? You weren't in Joint Warrior back in 09 were you? My ship, USS RAMAGE (DDG 61) went out to Faslane, Scotland for that. It was busy as hell during the exercise but we got some amazing port visits in. Stopped in Faslane a couple times, we took the train to Glasgow a few times. We also stopped in Gdynia, Poland, Riga, Latvia, and Southampton, England. The stop in England was unplanned. There was a FFG in our group that couldn't deal with the seas once we got out of the channel, so everyone pulled in somewhere in the area. It was awesome, made a day trip up to London and a friend of mine got his SWO (Surface Warfare Officer) pin while we took a Wardroom trip to HMS VICTORY. Those Brits may have the oldest ship in commission but ours still gets underway (even if just in the harbor). :p

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to have to dump my Vladivostok, Russia pics one of these days. The thing that sucks is they are huge pics so I have to scale them all down.

Anyone know of a way to do that in bulk? It's 2013...there should be a way by now.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats awesome! I got to do something similar when I was in elementary school..somewhere between 3rd and 5th grade. My dad was a Marine, so we went to an air show at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL. I got to shoot blanks from a M16. It was definitely a great moment of my childhood, so I know how they must feel.

Civilians aren't normally allowed on the base at all? That's much different than here. Over here we can get our dependents (wife/husband, kids) civilian ID cards which gets them onto the base so they can go to the exchange or whatever. Most bases have family housing on them, I graduated high school at Lejeune High on Camp Lejeune, NC which is (I believe) our largest USMC base in the country.

So you're still active? You weren't in Joint Warrior back in 09 were you? My ship, USS RAMAGE (DDG 61) went out to Faslane, Scotland for that. It was busy as hell during the exercise but we got some amazing port visits in. Stopped in Faslane a couple times, we took the train to Glasgow a few times. We also stopped in Gdynia, Poland, Riga, Latvia, and Southampton, England. The stop in England was unplanned. There was a FFG in our group that couldn't deal with the seas once we got out of the channel, so everyone pulled in somewhere in the area. It was awesome, made a day trip up to London and a friend of mine got his SWO (Surface Warfare Officer) pin while we took a Wardroom trip to HMS VICTORY. Those Brits may have the oldest ship in commission but ours still gets underway (even if just in the harbor). :p

I'm a civilian working for the Dutch Navy for over 13 years now, over here most of the on shore maintenance guys & gals are civilians. Previously I worked for 8 years in the RAF (UK). My Dad was also in the Air force, so I've been to many bases.

The HMS Victory is a great ship to visit, I'm very pleased I didn't work in those times, it's hard to imagine the hardships the men had to endure back then :eek:

I once visited faslane on a "roadtrip" many years ago now, on our way up to Benbecula.

I used to work on the electronics in the Orion aircraft about 8 years ago now, before the Dutch sold them off to the Germans, and I've been to Jacksonville NAS a couple of times (on courses). I even have an (expired) US military pass at home (as for some reason they didn't accept our, civilian passes :confused:).

Over here (NL) there is no married accomodation on the base, unlike in the RAF where the all the families are on base in married quarters.

I'm going to have to dump my Vladivostok, Russia pics one of these days. The thing that sucks is they are huge pics so I have to scale them all down.

Anyone know of a way to do that in bulk? It's 2013...there should be a way by now.

Looking forward to seeing the pics, sorry don't know how to "downsize" in bulk but maybe someone else here knows how.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Do you have Photoshop? If you do, I can walk you through it. If you do not, one way to do it is to create an account with imageshack.us and upload your images there. When you upload, it gives you option to resize all images.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a civilian working for the Dutch Navy for over 13 years now, over here most of the on shore maintenance guys & gals are civilians. Previously I worked for 8 years in the RAF (UK). My Dad was also in the Air force, so I've been to many bases.

The HMS Victory is a great ship to visit, I'm very pleased I didn't work in those times, it's hard to imagine the hardships the men had to endure back then :eek:

I once visited faslane on a "roadtrip" many years ago now, on our way up to Benbecula.

I used to work on the electronics in the Orion aircraft about 8 years ago now, before the Dutch sold them off to the Germans, and I've been to Jacksonville NAS a couple of times (on courses). I even have an (expired) US military pass at home (as for some reason they didn't accept our, civilian passes :confused:).

Over here (NL) there is no married accomodation on the base, unlike in the RAF where the all the families are on base in married quarters.

Looking forward to seeing the pics, sorry don't know how to "downsize" in bulk but maybe someone else here knows how.

Ahh ok. Yea, I guess if you were civilian, you'd be out of luck with regards to housing over here as well. I haven't lived on base since I lived with my parents, and kind of plan on keeping it that way.

I've actually never been to the Jacksonville base, we pulled into the harbor a couple times to use their degaussing range when the range up in Norfolk wasn't working. What a tease! The base looked pretty nice and the in and out transit was great. It took well under an hour to get in vice the 3 hours up in VA.

Do you have Photoshop? If you do, I can walk you through it. If you do not, one way to do it is to create an account with imageshack.us and upload your images there. When you upload, it gives you option to resize all images.

I do have Photoshop. Please enlighten me. Before, I would just rescale them all the time consuming way, which sucks! I have accounts with imgur and photobucket. Photobucket auto resizes everything you upload but they are a bit smaller than I'd like.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
I do have Photoshop. Please enlighten me. Before, I would just rescale them all the time consuming way, which sucks! I have accounts with imgur and photobucket. Photobucket auto resizes everything you upload but they are a bit smaller than I'd like.

The free IrfanView can do this easily, as well.

IrfanView

File -> Batch Conversion/Rename...

Check Advanced options (for bulk resize...)

Click on 'Advanced' and set your new size (e.g., 800x600) and output file type (JPG) and options (85% quality, etc) then OK

Change the output directory, if you want.

Add the pics you want to convert and 'Start Batch'

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The free IrfanView can do this easily, as well.

IrfanView

File -> Batch Conversion/Rename...

Check Advanced options (for bulk resize...)

Click on 'Advanced' and set your new size (e.g., 800x600) and output file type (JPG) and options (85% quality, etc) then OK

Change the output directory, if you want.

Add the pics you want to convert and 'Start Batch'

Thanks, I actually just figured it out with PS, so I'll start going to work.

I am flying to FL today for my best friend's wedding but there was bad traffic on the way and I just barely didn't make it. Now, I have to wait until 11pm (got here at 2pm) for the next flight!! Needless to say, I have plenty of time on my hands. Too bad beers here are really expensive.:banghead:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shooting (blanks) with the Marines

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

And then a ride in a BW

IMG_0123.JPG

One of the amphibious transport ships

IMG_0041.JPG

One of the old ships leave the harbour:

IMG_0098.JPG

We disturbed one of the locals:

IMG_0102.JPG
Thanks for posting Martin, it looked chilly just like a fine Irish summers day.

Nelly