Scorpion install - low end power loss?

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,
I installed scorpions and I noticed my low end power - under 2k has vanished. It wont jump out of the hole like it did stock. Does this sound like I need a power commander?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
While you did the install did you disconnect the battery? Also does that exhaust kit remove the CAT pipe?

jdmdohcpower

Reaction score
Visit site
+ cabel on the battery was removed durring the install. Cat still on bike.
Is there a more correct way to reset the electronic control?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+ cabel on the battery was removed durring the install. Cat still on bike.
Is there a more correct way to reset the electronic control?

I think you should be okay as long as you haven't opened the exhaust up to much there shouldn't be an issue but If you are not happy with the low end a PC might cure it but you should be ready to spend the extra bucks $330+ for a reputable tuner to build you a map.

Yeah I did the whole thing when I had my FZ6. Two Bro's exhaust, PClll and a good tuner here in Cali. I was not sorry for one penny I spent on that bike. It performed really really well!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
so the map on the the PC site to download thats designed for scorpion exhaust is no good? if I do a PC I have to do a custom tune?

The map on the website is fine. However, remember that it is a generic tune to fit most FZ's. Each bike is slightly different and the air in a given environment is different. So a custom tune is the BEST way to go, but not always necessary if you are looking to save some money.

A lot of us notice a drop in bottom end torque when putting a free-er flowing exhaust on. This is a common problem with high revving 4 cylinder engines in cars and bikes. The back pressure of the stock system provides a better torque curve at the bottom, but you loose the top end. A free flowing exhaust gives you better top end, but you loose the bottom.

A good map will help re-balance that out.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so the map on the the PC site to download thats designed for scorpion exhaust is no good? if I do a PC I have to do a custom tune?

That map should be Close/okay but each bike is different so if you want to know for sure that you have it tuned correctly with proper air:fuel ratios you'll want to have a pro tune it.

You can upload the LV map and see if it does what you want it to, then if you're not satisfied you could get it tuned.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait... you had power under 2k?? :eek:

I didn't notice any power loss with my Leo install, but I never felt power at 2k on this bike one way or another. I consider low end to be 4-6k on FZ6. :don'tknow:

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking that low and feeling lack of power is prolly just in your head. You can hear the engine more and likely expect the resulting louder sound to produce more power. Heck I believe 04-06 don't even register anything below 2k and its likely yours will not either.

Either way if you're looking for quick starts of the line you're not going to be anywhere near 2k. Like others said there is no power that low, never was and never will with our bikes unless you modify them quite a bit. Try PC but you'll more than likely just waste money trying to solve a problem that isn't there.:thumbup:

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking that low and feeling lack of power is prolly just in your head. You can hear the engine more and likely expect the resulting louder sound to produce more power. Heck I believe 04-06 don't even register anything below 2k and its likely yours will not either.

Either way if you're looking for quick starts of the line you're not going to be anywhere near 2k. Like others said there is no power that low, never was and never will with our bikes unless you modify them quite a bit. Try PC but you'll more than likely just waste money trying to solve a problem that isn't there.:thumbup:

I know this is a very old post but have experienced the same, last weekend disconnected battery and did an ECU reset, took the bike out ( no db killers installed) noticed that it cured the hunting idle issue but bottom end did feel a bit lacking. Went home, reinstalled db killers and went back out, idle was a bit off this time, hunting, but all of a sudden the crisp bottom end was back.

I am going to do another ECU reset today and try the bike again during the week with db killers back in. I have also adjusted the CO a little, +5 on C1,C2 (stock was 0 for both). Going to continue playing around with it a bit before I go the PCIII / V route as trying to get the cash together for a CBR 600RR this year.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
when i have done anything to my bike, i noticed a loss of low end power until the computer re-learns. Happened and fixed with Exhaust install, and also again with the airbox mod.

Give her a few more miles and she should straighten out.

Power commander is not a bad idea though, always worth a few HP and smooth out the power band a little.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't notice any difference in low end power with Scorpion pipes.

+1 here as well.

I've had the Scorps for at least 4 years (cat in, no DB killers). I remember with the stock muffler, it didn't have any balls to at least 5-6k before you felt any pull to speak of. Almost didn't buy it because of it. Once it started revving, well...

With the Scorps, it pulls strong from idle to red line. The FZ is going to need a little throttle to get rolling, there's not much torque at 2k RPM's, heck your just off idle.

Never had a hunting idle, de-cel back fire, etc. No mods to the stock ECU, CO settings are all stock. And I have my idle set at 1,000 RPM's...

My old FJR 1300, I could roll to a start with no throttle but then you have 145 HP at 7K RPMs..

N

Last edited: