She started and now she wont turn over

Rayge

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got a new ignition and gas cap all plugged in new plugs and new battery. Fresh oil and fresh 91 in tank. The bike sat for two years. I got it to turn over for about two minutes and hit the throttle a bit and she shut off. Hasn’t started back up for me. What am i missing

turbodan

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the engine crank and not start or does it not even turn?

I suspect it is most likely a fuel issue, perhaps the pump pickup is clogged or the pump itself has given up. Does the pump prime when the key is turned to ON with the kill switch in the run position?

Spark is easy to check in DIAG mode, and it wouldn't hurt to check battery voltage to make sure it hasn't run down too low while cranking.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The screen on the fuel filter is known to corrode on bikes that sit for a long period and when that happens it causes fuel starvation. I'd remove the pump assembly and replace the screen and filter.

To add to what Dan said above, if the voltage is dropping below 11VDC during a start, the battery doesn't supply enough current to crank over the engine AND keep the ECU alive. So a battery can appear healthy showing 12.7VDC static, and then fall on its face as soon as a load is placed on it.

Rayge

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks guys its for sure not getting fuel my pump kicks on so im gonna try replacing the screen and filter. It didnt cross my mind to really check filter when i was pukling okd gas out.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey thanks guys its for sure not getting fuel my pump kicks on so im gonna try replacing the screen and filter. It didnt cross my mind to really check filter when i was pukling okd gas out.

To be SURE it is a fuel issue, you can remove the top of the airbox and fog a little starting ether over the throttle bodies while cranking. If it fires up then quits it is definitely a fuel issue.

Step 1 of problem solving...... figure out the problem.