Should I still change my oil now or just wait?

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Normally I like to change the oil in my bike before I put it away for the winter. Normally I will take it for a quick ride to fill the tank and then change the oil when I get back after it is nice and warm and had a chance to run through the motor. Well this year winter kinda snuck up on me and all I had a chance to do was fill the tank. So I was wondering if I can still get the oil flowing through the motor and warm enough by just letting it idle for a few minutes and then change it or should I just put it away and change it first thing next spring.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even if its not hot/been ran, your getting about 95% by draining it now as its already in the sump. :thumbup: It will just take longer as its cold. Throw a Heat lamp under the sump for a few hours!

- The process of combustion creates acids. Acids attack and degrade materials. Its a good reason to get the old oil out and the fresh oil in. THEN FIRE IT UP!

Puttin Along

Reaction score
Visit site
So you are saying that it's better to sit till spring with fresh oil rather than old? I had the same question! Thanks!

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to change the oil to get all the contaminants out. So I'm asking if I will get the same results as changing the oil when it's nice and warm.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just dump it cold and give it longer to drip. Its effective as its had days to get there so lets not over think this...

Fresh oil is better for engines that sit than dirty acidic oil.

I've seen used oil eat through (rust through) a steel pan of an engine i pulled and threw in the corner of a shop. Took it two years. Oil was 3 years old.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just as a side note, last time I changed my oil, I rode the bike for several miles before changing.

If you start it, let it get to temp(water), pull the drain plug, the oil is barely warm. Ride it some, then you'll get some temp to it.

But +1 ^^, let it drain for longer.

Also, besides the sidestand, use the centerstand too. I'll put a small piece of plywood underneath one of the CC legs and get more old oil out as well...

You'd be surprised at how much more oil you can get out (just tilting it some and getting oil out of the cavities).

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely change the oil now if it's going to sit till April.

Don't forget to add some fuel stabilizer to the gas tank! I like seafoam because it also is anti corrosion. Mix it in well and rock the bike back and forth to get the mix on all exposed metal in the tank, THEN run the engine for 10 minutes to get the mix into the fuel system and then drain that oil!

I put my bike up Jan-Feb here in Central Virginia. I have another month and a half of chilly riding!