Skully Helmets

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you guys / gals think ? I like the concept and appreciate that the R&D costs need to be meet. The price $1500 puts it out of reach for the vast majority of riders. Bearing in mind that helmets should be replaced at regular intervals depending on use it may not be cost effective ?
Skully seems to be aiming for the top of the top end of the market missing a huge part of the real world market. The rear view application is brilliant. I would like a helmet with this functionality. Personally I don't want GPS, phone calls etc. The rudimentary function of my helmet is to protect my head. I would like to see how it compares to other brands in impact testing. No doubt this technology will continue to develop.
It would also seem no one got a helmet to Beta test. Was this just a marketing ploy?
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
It's innovative that's for sure and I would like to have one. It's just expensive now, but as technology gets easier the price will drop, blu ray players used to be super expensive ( 1080 p tvs as well) but the price will eventually go down. I don't like the fact you have to replace it at 1500$ that bastard better last until it meets a hard object atleast. And even at that you should be able to send yours in and a small fee for a new helmet, they just use your existing tech. I would want gps. You can map and reroute on the fly! make your own way, instead of lookin down you can look over, maybe a voice command of "open/close gps" would be sweet!

1500$ it better have a web browser so I can watch bad things going down the road ;). Kidding!! LOL

Last edited:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
How lazy are we that cam't gaze down to our instrument panel or gps for the info we need? Sounds like a cool idea I admit but like Nelly said....my helmet is to protect my noggin....and I replace it every 5 years. With all those angles on the surface I'd hate to see how it would react in a real life mc incident......and I still haven't seen any impact tests.
I can't even figure out my 20yr old vcr....how am I going to figure out this thing?:eek:

Sometimes I think technology becomes primary and we simply forget the reason we ride.....

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cost wise, this helmet is beyond my reach. I do like it tho. I like the idea of taking all the separate items you would mount on the bike and having it in the helmet. Complicated to learn...sure, but so was a gopro or a contour camera. I do agree with the fact of the potential loss due to a crash our dropping it. I have a feeling this is just the second step in the future of helmet design. The first being the Reevu helmet.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a company called Nuviz which has also "Crowd funded" investment. It offers the same functionality as the Skully but is a modular device that can be retro fitted to your existing helmet. I checked out their FB page but sadly Nuviz seem to be using FB purely for advertising and have failed to answer any of the questions posted by would be consumers.
Very disappointing.
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure id want a rear view camera fixed on the rear of the helmet, every time you move your head the view would be the opposite, lifesaver checks would get tiresome.
A fixed camera on the rear of the bike would be better.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first saw these, I thought the rearview camera would be a good idea. After thinking about it a bit, it doesn't really seem like that great of an idea. I watched a guy about ride off a cliff at the Dragon because his attention got caught by his Harley GPS talking to him. Now, having a little screen and voice inside your helmet....? Not feeling it. I'm not a luddite but technology is not always what it is cracked up to be. Safety features that offset themselves by presenting other problems (distractions)....?

When most people go to buy safety gear, the first thing they buy is a helmet. A $1500 helmet puts a pretty hefty dent in your boots/gloves/jacket/pants budget. Hell, I've got a full set of Icon gear and a $700 helmet and I STILL don't have $1500 tied up in safety gear.

It's not like anybody's been riding for the past 70 years with regular 'ol brain-bucket, leather jacket, and paper map. I can't tell you how many times I've been out with GPS guys that have NO idea where they are because they rely on their GPS system more than their brain.

I'd settle for a system that flashed my turn signal indicator whenever a car entered my blind spot from behind (built into the bike - like blindspot warnings on sideviews)

Last edited:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I love embracing innovative ideas and tech but two issues imo: 1) price versus replacement interval as everybody mentioned and 2) weight.