Slow puncture

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My rear has a really slow puncture, I've checked for nails and screws. None visible. I've checked the valve, no obvious leaks. Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple things:

Spray soapy water, windex , etc around the valve and push the valve about some, especially at the base. If its an older valve, it can have a hairline crack and leak slowly. I would also remove the inner valve stem and re-install or replace. (had one leak on my SUV A/C, About $250 to find that :( )

Secondly, sometimes you'll get some corrosion in between the rim and tire. Using your soapy water again, spray that lip liberally. Keep a close eye on it, if its leaking it'll show / bubble.

If none of those tricks (doubtful) finds it, pull the wheel and push it down (upright position) in a tank and again watch for bubbles...

Please post back what you find (or don't!)

Good luck..

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a leaky schrader valve insert. I couldn't figure out why sometimes my front tire was low like I had a leak. I finally put a gob of spit all around the dust cap where the threads are and there it was! I saw the slow bubbles. I cut a piece of rubber to fit inside the metal dust cap so that it would seal against the end of the valve assembly and that stopped the leak. I still need to replace the valve insert. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a leaky schrader valve insert.)

Last year, on my Four runner, the A/C stopped blowing cold. Had it to the dealership twice (spent hours there) and the second time was with their BEST A/C guy who couldn't find the leak. As he gave up, he removed his tool from the valve and noticed just a tad of A/C coolant bubble out...

I felt pretty dumb about that, I could have squirted that valve and found it. Worse yet, Toyota techs couldn't find it, just lucked out as he gave up...

And Cliff, they should be able to just break the bead on your rim (not remove tire, no re-balance) and pull a new valve thru...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last year, on my Four runner, the A/C stopped blowing cold. Had it to the dealership twice (spent hours there) and the second time was with their BEST A/C guy who couldn't find the leak. As he gave up, he removed his tool from the valve and noticed just a tad of A/C coolant bubble out...

I felt pretty dumb about that, I could have squirted that valve and found it. Worse yet, Toyota techs couldn't find it, just lucked out as he gave up...

And Cliff, they should be able to just break the bead on your rim (not remove tire, no re-balance) and pull a new valve thru...

I have one of those 90 degree metal body valve assemblies and I think just swapping the core insert might fix the leak. There are two rubber seals on the valve core insert and probably one of them failed.

After thinking about your AC experience I wonder if an AC Schrader core insert is the same dimensions because they may use a higher quality silicone/teflon for the rubber seals as apposed to cheaper neoprene on the the tire inserts....Hmmmm.... Off to the auto parts store today cuz either way I should replace it with a new one.

Just for those who might be unfamiliar with the valve assemblies, here is the standard generic valve assembly used for tubeless tire applications like our bikes and cars. Notice the 2 rubber type seals (one black and one red) on the valve core assembly on the left.
568px-Valvola_Schrader.jpg

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You won't believe how tricky it is to find a bloody valve remover. Two shops not in stock.
I will keep looking.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You won't believe how tricky it is to find a bloody valve remover. Two shops not in stock.
I will keep looking.

As its leaking internally Cliff, that should fix it.

Nelly, did you find the leak or just checking the valve?

Just an FYI, I have three different ones.

The black plastic one stays on the valve stem on the bike.

The steel, short one(screwed on the stem) could screw on the bike but I have it tight on that valve stem used as a handle.

Then the "cross style" tool, again for in the garage or kept under the seat:

A higher end, bicycle repair shop should have them in stock, I think I got the cross one in Walmart (big box store ) Forgot where I got the double duty cap / tool...

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will keep looking.

If you're talking about just removing the valve core its the same as a bicycle and maybe you have one with your bicycle tool kit? In fact the Schrader core insert is the same for the bike. car and bicycle.
Some dust caps have that little removal tip.

s-l225.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I get new tires on the bike, they replace the entire valve. I pull the innerd out for spares, any old tubes getting pitched, yank them too. Probably have 6 of em in the junk draw.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You wanna be careful which Scrhader you toss in the A/C system as the oils and refrigerints can deteriorate some of materials.
Often times fuel rails and A/C systems use a material called Viton which can withstand temperature, pressure, and a wider array of gasses and oils.

Some knockoff tubes, stems, valves etc, may cost you a recharge if it leaks.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You wanna be careful which Scrhader you toss in the A/C system as the oils and refrigerints can deteriorate some of materials.
Often times fuel rails and A/C systems use a material called Viton which can withstand temperature, pressure, and a wider array of gasses and oils.

Some knockoff tubes, stems, valves etc, may cost you a recharge if it leaks.

The dealership A/C guy fixed it with genuine Toyota parts. Took them two days to find it..

Been cold ever since, over a year since done...

But Tks..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly, as for the Slow Puncture, I'm picturing a kid walking past your bike with a screwdriver turning a screw into your tire every time they pass by! :spank:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Valve stem leaking at the base.
I had to immerse the wheel in water. Its so slow though I barely noticed it.
Cheers guys.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Front tyre now has slow puncture, I broke the bead and found oxidized corrosion inside the wheel rim. I cleaned it out with wire wool. Reinflated and problem sorted. Its a common issue here with all the rain and salt.