Soft Luggage, Need Opinions!

• Thread starter Deleted member 24810
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24810

Looking to get some soft luggage for a trip next summer.

Had the following in mind:

Motorcycle Sportbike Touring Expandable Saddlebags Saddle Bag Travel Luggage Set | eBay

Ogio Sportbike Saddlebags Stealth Black | eBay

CL-950 DELUXE SADDLEBAGS

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-super-20-saddlebags

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nelson-rigg-touring-50-saddlebags

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/nelson-rigg-cl-905-sport-touring-saddlebags

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Also, other recommendations are perfect as I want something that's not going to scratch up the bike and will keep its shape well.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Argyle

abstract thinker
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Ogio bags, but don't use them any longer. Really nice bags I thought, looked good on the bike, reasonably priced, expandable. I fastened them under the seat using the seat to keep them in place, but without some kind of bracket to support them and keep them in place, they swung around a fair bit. Actually, to the point that one of them rubbed on the rear tire and melted a hole in the bottom, which was surprising since I had them mounted as high as possible.

There are quite a bunch of homebrew soft luggage support solutions, some nice, some not. Ultimately I think the best solution is to get a SW-Motech or Givi luggage rack to support the bags. That way you can upgrade to hard cases later (this is what i did, though i know - not cheap.) With some patience, I was able to find a set of Givi bags on my local CL. Plus I wanted to get it before it was discontinued. They are still available I believe, but I wasn't sure how long they'd keep the racks around since they no longer make the FZ6. Something to consider.

Of course if you don't mind them swinging around a bit then no problem. Just watch the bottoms to make sure they don't swing and rub on the tire or sit too close to the exhaust.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a trip and used Nelson Rigg CL-855 saddlebags.

I made a brace out of a piece of spare wooden rod I had lying around (plunger handle!!) and they worked just great. Here are some pictures of my set up. They aren't the sexiest bags on the market, but they held everything I need to haul.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to get some soft luggage for a trip next summer.

Had the following in mind:

Motorcycle Sportbike Touring Expandable Saddlebags Saddle Bag Travel Luggage Set | eBay

Ogio Sportbike Saddlebags Stealth Black | eBay

CL-950 DELUXE SADDLEBAGS

Cortech Super 2.0 Saddlebags - RevZilla

Nelson Rigg Touring 50 Saddlebags - RevZilla

Nelson Rigg CL-905 Sport Touring Saddlebags - RevZilla

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Also, other recommendations are perfect as I want something that's not going to scratch up the bike and will keep its shape well.

Thanks

I actually have those Cortech Super 2.0. I have used them on the FZ6 for my trip to Quebec province.

You can check out how it looks on the FZ6 here:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring-traveling/46096-our-2-300-miles-long-adventures.html

I really liked them. They came in really handy and you can pack them up pretty well. I would Highly recommend the top rear saddle bag. just like the one I had on my trip. In fact that was where I put pretty much all of my stuff. The saddle bags were pretty much storing only my rain gear, maps, helmet's face shield and some bottles of water.

I used them in rain too. they come with rain covers and it was super easy to put them on.

EDIT:

You can install these Cortech bags in two ways. You can install the harnesses under the seat or over the seat. I installed mine under the seat. It just felt more secure, and I also had to install the top bag on the rear seat. It just worked better.

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the SW Motech Blaze system bags. not the largest on the market, but i think the system is slick as sh1t, and the support braces make it worth the extra money. these are by far the easiest soft bags to get set. theres no tying or fussing with straps. just click, velcro, and tighten (okay so there are straps but they arent fussy).

Link:

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ6-S2, '07-'11 - TwistedThrottle.com

NOTE: ONLY FITS S2 MODELS (adapters mount to subframe bolts)

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Have the OGIOs. They fit a little weird on my '06. The bodywork that flares out just behind your thigh pushes the bags out at the front a bit. They work fine, and hold a bunch of gear, but definitely sag as well. If you are okay with that, there's really no other issue. Bags are of great quality for the price.

Good luck!

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the SW Motech Blaze system bags. not the largest on the market, but i think the system is slick as sh1t, and the support braces make it worth the extra money. these are by far the easiest soft bags to get set. theres no tying or fussing with straps. just click, velcro, and tighten (okay so there are straps but they arent fussy).

Link:

Bags-Connection Blaze Sport Saddlebag System Yamaha FZ6-S2, '07-'11 - TwistedThrottle.com

NOTE: ONLY FITS S2 MODELS (adapters mount to subframe bolts)

:thumbup:

I can vouche for these bags. The support struts are the bees knees. The bags are rigid enough that they never move.

I low-sided my bike at low speed and the left bag took a hit but survived with just a small tear and some surface wear.

D

Deleted member 24810

I actually have those Cortech Super 2.0. I have used them on the FZ6 for my trip to Quebec province.

You can check out how it looks on the FZ6 here:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring-traveling/46096-our-2-300-miles-long-adventures.html

I really liked them. They came in really handy and you can pack them up pretty well. I would Highly recommend the top rear saddle bag. just like the one I had on my trip. In fact that was where I put pretty much all of my stuff. The saddle bags were pretty much storing only my rain gear, maps, helmet's face shield and some bottles of water.

I used them in rain too. they come with rain covers and it was super easy to put them on.

EDIT:

You can install these Cortech bags in two ways. You can install the harnesses under the seat or over the seat. I installed mine under the seat. It just felt more secure, and I also had to install the top bag on the rear seat. It just worked better.

Did you have any issues with the bags sagging in towards the rear wheel/exhaust?

That's my main concern.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you have any issues with the bags sagging in towards the rear wheel/exhaust?

That's my main concern.

I can't remember which side but I think the right saddle bag sagged towards the rearhugger. Nothing really happened. The material got a little roughen up at the edge of the bag.

The reason why it sagged was my fault. I didn't set it up properly that day. I should have tighten the straps more.

D

Deleted member 24810

I can't remember which side but I think the right saddle bag sagged towards the rearhugger. Nothing really happened. The material got a little roughen up at the edge of the bag.

The reason why it sagged was my fault. I didn't set it up properly that day. I should have tighten the straps more.

Would a piece of black PVC pipe attached onto the end of the passenger pegs(when folded up) fix that issue?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the MotoCentric bags. They're pretty durable and they hang okay without sagging. They're a little tricky to set-up correctly but they're solid once in place.

I don't think MotoCentric is in business anymore. I tried to get on their site and it was down for a long time.... They "were" guaranteed for life but I guess that's out the window if the company went under.

I got em' off of a forum member for cheap enough and I'm pleased with them.