Speedo backlight works but no info

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
Howdy! I was about to have my 05 FZ6 ready to ride and then this issue started. The blue backlight comes on the speedo when I turn the key but nothing else comes on, not even the time. I have checked all of the fuses and they are all good. I've been repairing some of the wiring and I'm wondering if maybe somehow one of the wires for the speedo came loose. Is there a specific wire that would control this function? As y'all can see it's 2:00 in the morning here and I'm very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
What wiring are you repairing, why?

PO tore it up, or ???

Did it work BEFORE you started the repairs?

There were a few damaged wires in the front end wiring harness. I'm doing a naked conversion since the fairing of the bike was destroyed by the previous owner.

The speedo was working perfectly but I had to replace the battery box, so I took the battery out and installed the new box. At the same time I also zip tied some of the wires up front to hold them together a little better. When I hooked the battery up and started the bike I started having the issues with the speedo.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'd first check the plug itself (to the main harness), wires attached just beyond the plug as well.

If no good still, I would then start jiggling the wires you working on some (with the ignition on) so you can see
when / if it starts working again.

Sounds like either a loose wire, possible ground (but you DO have the back light).

Post back what you find.

Motogiro or FinalImpact are the electrical guys here...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is one wire for all data. It is yellow with a blue tracer. There are 2 plug assemblies that attach to the readout. disconnect the battery negative lead and check the plug assemblies. You may have pulled a wire or there is a improper repair that has come apart.

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the guidance guys, I'm going to head out to the garage now and follow that yellow/blue wire down and see if I disconnected it somehow. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I followed that wire down to the plugs and it seems to be connected fine. I also jiggled it some with no luck. Is it possible that I could have caused some sort of problem underneath the new battery box? It felt like there was a lot of wiring in the way that I had to move over/push down.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do the blinkers, high beam, basic LED indictors work?

Do you have an ohm meter or test light?
You may need to test the wires continuity from the ecu to the gauage and also confrm that wire is not shorted to the chassis.

Because this is a conversion, you could test from this connector here too..
attachment.php

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright so I repaired a place where there was a weird connection to no avail. Still no data. Other than that I haven't found any issues with the yellow/blue wire. I did, however find that the previous owner connected the red/green wire from the speedo to the red/white wire which goes back into the bike to I don't know where. What's strange is that there is another red/white wire which is connected correctly to itself, but no connection for this stray red/green wire. I don't know what their functions are but I thought maybe that could be my issue. Any advice on that?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In detail, what does work in the gauge cluster, anything else? Grab a FSM. It has a schematic in it....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
At a glance Red/Green trace is battery backup to keep the clock alive. Hint it is hot all the time so nothing should be connected to it or your battery will be killed when you walk away from the bike.

Red/White trace is Ignition power fused at 10A and also powers the gauge. This is tied to Red/Yellow trace which powers the backlight LEDs which you say work. Verify it is in fact battery voltage and not something like 4.2 volts which would light the leds but not operate the gauge. A bad connection could do this.

If it has power in and the Black/White trace is grounded to the ECU as it should be, other parts of the gauge should work.

Again, do you have a hand held meter or test light???

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
So the functions that are still...functioning... on the speedo are the neutral light, turn signal indicators, and the backlight (I'm not sure about the other lights). I checked today and the battery is totally dead, so I'm going to run that over to my motorsports place tomorrow to have it replaced. In the meantime I'm going to run to autozone and get a meter so I can start doing this right. I left my other one back home in Houston like an idiot.

Here's my main source of confusion. There is only one red/white wire coming out of the speedo. It is the one with yellow(ish) dots on it. Then I have another red/white wire with no dots coming out of the frame that doesn't seem to have anywhere to go, as in there is no other red/white wire anywhere on the front of the bike except from the right handlebar controls which is properly connected. Also, the connection for the red/green wire is totally missing. It comes out of the speedo but the other end has been cut off the plug and is nowhere to be found. So the guy obviously got lazy and didn't connect those two to the right place since he couldn't find the correct wires. (Life must be really hard for that guy). So right now I need to track down the red/green wire and figure out what the hell this other red/white wire is for.

Edit: Sike, I traced the red/white wire up as far as I could go and it's actually connected to the red/green wire from the harness. So that connection was correct. I'm going to reconnect those and charge the battery and see what happens from there.

Last edited:

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
Battery is totally dead. I just charged it all the way up and it's not strong enough to start the bike. I've connected all wires their proper counterparts and I'm still having the same issue with the speedo. The last time I got the bike started it was very slow to start and I had the current speedo issue. Tomorrow I will take the battery in and they should swap it for a fresh one thanks to the warranty. I will post again tomorrow and let y'all know what the outcome turns out to be!

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it took me so long to get back to y'all on this. I put in a brand new battery, fully charged, and had the same issue. The bike wouldn't start and I got no info from the speedo. My dad suggested that I try to move the starter around (like put the bike in gear and try to bump it a little) so I did that and tried again to start it. It did start and the speedometer did it's little run-up with the tach and started working normally. Now this is where it gets weird. I revved the bike a few times and when I did that the speedo would occasionally cut out and then reset and start again. I'm at a total loss for what the issue could be. Obviously it's all connected properly, but what is causing it to act like this?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry it took me so long to get back to y'all on this. I put in a brand new battery, fully charged, and had the same issue. The bike wouldn't start and I got no info from the speedo. My dad suggested that I try to move the starter around (like put the bike in gear and try to bump it a little) so I did that and tried again to start it. It did start and the speedometer did it's little run-up with the tach and started working normally. Now this is where it gets weird. I revved the bike a few times and when I did that the speedo would occasionally cut out and then reset and start again. I'm at a total loss for what the issue could be. Obviously it's all connected properly, but what is causing it to act like this?

You may needs brushes in the starter but even more important is you may have a no regulator rectifier function. You may be experiencing over voltage because of an open circuit to the regulator rectifier. Check the plug to the regulator rectifier to make sure it's plugged in then check the pins in the plug. Start the bike and look at the voltage at the battery it should never go above 14.9 vdc

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you set the clock, will it hold the time OR RE-SET as if you disconnected the battery?

Somewhat sounds like either a bad ground or a bad hot line (connection) going into the unit.

I'd double check all the wires from the meter back, again, while it's running and see if handling the wiring changes anything..

Just to clarify, did the bike ALWAYS SPIN OVER, but just NOT start?? OR, NOT SPIN OVER AT ALL.. (BIG difference).

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im not sure how someone could bypass the battery but this foolishly sounds like the gauage only has power when the bike is running. Is that possible? Thinks not... but.

What are you using to make these wire connection repairs? What are you using for insulation? If you pull firmly on these wires, will they pull apart? A good connection can withstand a tug.

You need a volt meter to diagnose this going forward. Check the off and running voltages. Verify connections can withstand a pull test and not fail.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, something doesn't add up. Putting the bike in gear has no impact on the starter. It is connected via a Sprague clutch which means the electric motor has to spin to make a connection to the engine....

It seems more likely the act of moving the bike / steering the bars acted on the wires poor connections...

Just throwing ideas out as we have no solid conclusions at this time.

austindv

Reaction score
Visit site
You may needs brushes in the starter but even more important is you may have a no regulator rectifier function. You may be experiencing over voltage because of an open circuit to the regulator rectifier. Check the plug to the regulator rectifier to make sure it's plugged in then check the pins in the plug. Start the bike and look at the voltage at the battery it should never go above 14.9 vdc

Found the regulator rectifier under the tank. It's just sitting loosely under there. Shouldn't it be bolted up to something?

The plug and wires all look good going into it. My dad will be here tomorrow with the meter and I can start checking voltages on everything.

Also, how do I get the starter motor out of this thing?