Speedometer reads zero

namruso

Reaction score
Visit site
Aloha guys,

I just noticed today that my speedometer reads zero. Everything works on my tachometer/speedometer except for the fact that it reads a constant zero at all speeds. I did some research and others have said that it could be the sensor that is located somewhere in the front wheel area.

Can anyone shed light to this?

Mahalo,
Sean

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As with any electrical problem check connectors and inspect wiring. Rodents are famous for climbing up in cars and motorcycles and gnawing wires and insulation. The sensor is probably what is termed a "Hall effect transistor" mounted inside that cylindrical plastic housing. It measures either a toothed metal wheel or a magnet that passed it that sends a pulse to the ECU that calculates the RPM of the driveline and sends it to the data output train to give a speedo reading.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also worthy to note is that the speedo signal from the ECU to the meter arrives there via a single wire multiplexed with other data (engine temp, air temp, rpm) so it is very likely your issues are between the ECU and the sensor on the output shaft of the trans.

You could unplug the sensor, read its wire color and then unplug the ECU (after pulling main fuse or battery terminal) and ohm out the wire.

If good, then it is the sensor. Just don't confuse the speed sensor with the Neutral safety switch.