Speedometer recalibration

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
According to gps, my speedo reads about 3mph faster than my actual speed at any given velocity. The GPS is accurate in the two other vehicles I've tested it in.

How do I recalibrate it?

Also, on a slightly related note, how many teeth should I have on my sprockets? I have a suspicion the bike is geared down (I know that won't affect the speedo :))

Cheers!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
According to gps, my speedo reads about 3mph faster than my actual speed at any given velocity. The GPS is accurate in the two other vehicles I've tested it in.

How do I recalibrate it?

Also, on a slightly related note, how many teeth should I have on my sprockets? I have a suspicion the bike is geared down (I know that won't affect the speedo :))

Cheers!
Actually, changing the sprockets WILL affect the speedo because the speed sensor is on the drive sprocket. But I don't think the 3mph difference is anything but the normal overstating of actual speed. Actually it seems closer than most. If you want more accuracy, I have heard good things about the speedo-healer. I am sure someone with one will post more info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the "Speedohealer" and once set up using the GPS, mine is within .3 MPH @ 60MPH.

Your odometer is going to read slightly lower.

There is also a plug included that if plugged in, will record the highest top speed. It'll display it when a button is pushed in momentarily. If you hold the button in longer, it'll re-set.

Whats better about the Speedohealer VS GPS, is that its INSTANT showing on the speedometer.

The GPS will take a second or two to catch up. It is available with a plug and play for the FZ so there's NO hacking of wires. You can also pull it off if you sell the bike and use it on the next bike. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock sprockets are 16 on the front and 46 on the rear.

One of the first things I did to my bike was to add a SpeedoDRD, which is essentially the same as the Speedohealer. Both are plug and play. You need to lift the tank, but then you just disconnect a connector and insert the correction device. Most guys put the readout-programming card under the seat.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/the-bar/50932-who-you-what-did-you-do-my-wife.html

I calibrated mine by getting the wife to drive ahead of me at intervals from 45 to 70. She wouldn't do 80. My correction was -4.5% but now it reads correctly across the range.

As Scott noted, using one of these will cause your odometer to read low by the same correction factor. Just change your oil a bit more frequently, and when calculating fuel efficiency multiply by 1.045 or whatever factor you use for the speedo correction.

The other solution is to put a 17-tooth sprocket on the front and then the speedo is pretty close. The odometer will still read low.

Chris