Sprag clutch problem?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Started up for my morning ride today uneventfully. Met my buddy for coffee, went to start up and starter motor spins freely without the sprag clutch engaging. Bump started the bike and rode another 90 minutes or so. Got home, shut down, hit the starter, bike started right up. Three times.

Likely going to tear it down over the weekend, but am curious if anyone has had any issues like this.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First time Ive heard of a problem with it. Wondering if it's got some gunk in it and maybe need some tlc. Maybe brake cleaner and a fresh shot of oil?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to be said for the high detergent oils in an automatic transmission. Either the sprague clutch blows up or it works.

Part of me says you're fine for the duration but what if it stalled at a light and you two needed out of harms way???

Do pull it apart and look tho I doubt you find anything.

Curious; what oil you use and your OCI?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to be said for the high detergent oils in an automatic transmission. Either the sprague clutch blows up or it works.

Part of me says you're fine for the duration but what if it stalled at a light and you two needed out of harms way???

Do pull it apart and look tho I doubt you find anything.

Curious; what oil you use and your OCI?

So I geared up for my morning ride and hit the started button. Started perfectly. Made 2 stops on my errand run and all was great. Too nice a day to pull it apart. Going out riding in a little. I too feel this was an anomaly. No odd sounds when starting, and in the 7 years / 55k miles I have owned her she has only had the starter button hit with a running engine maybe 3 times, and not within the last 2 years at least. But it will haunt me until it either breaks or fades into the past.

As to your questions, I have been using Shell Rotella T6 for about 4 years now. It is JASO MA rated and has not had any side effects. As for intervals, I am pretty good keeping a 3 to 3.5 k or once a season, whichever comes first.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You might buy the clutch kit and keep it on hand in case you get bored.

It's one of those that is amazingly reliable until it's not.
I don't know what to say. Starter speed could have been a factor too.

Fingers crossed!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was thinking the same thing, but wish the part wasn't so expensive. Might look to fleebay for something.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk