Stebel horn

aproccos

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the Stebel horn at Advance Auto parts the one that works with the FZ?
Not sure the model number will check later today. It is $49.95

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think any of them will work, it is just wires and 12v, so if it looks like you can mount it then have at it.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Been thinking of getting one ever since hearing Ozfazer's (Mick), Just was wondering wear you would mount one discreetly, ie: out of sight, on a FZ6N?

:confused:

mlevins77

Needs beer
Reaction score
Visit site
Been thinking of getting one ever since hearing Ozfazer's (Mick), Just was wondering wear you would mount one discreetly, ie: out of sight, on a FZ6N?

Discreet? HA HA HA...yeah 139dB of discreetness for ya. Be proud, get chrome...and drive the Semi's crazy being louder. :rockon:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

I mounted mine up under the left front faring. Can't see it at all...but you can sure hear it! I don't really like the 'look' of the horn and is something to be heard, not seen IMHO. Others have mounted them on the lower left of the engine, using an engine mounting bolt.

Here are some details and a full write up of my Stebel horn on my FZ6 site:

Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Stebel Nautilus Compact 139dB Air Horn

stebel2.JPG

Last edited:

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
THREAD JACK

i just ordered the PIAA 115 db horn. after i almost got backed into in a parking lot after 3 long horn blows, i figured it was time for a new one.. we should make a vid of each to compare.. obviously 139 is louder than 115, but just to see how clsoe they are

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a Stebel myself and I'm in the process of installing it. Anybody have any problems blowing their own ear drums out with it? And Boneman, is there any way you can tell me exactly where you zip tied the horn to? Thanks

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I just bought a Stebel myself and I'm in the process of installing it. Anybody have any problems blowing their own ear drums out with it? And Boneman, is there any way you can tell me exactly where you zip tied the horn to? Thanks

Umm hard to describe as I have a custom wiring harness running along the inside of my left faring from all my lighting mods. You could mount some of those stick on cable tie mounts along the inside of your faring and then put cable ties thru them and around the horn. That's basically what I did in combination with the existing wiring harness.

It's not the best/most seucre mounting job ever done, but it seems to stay put.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Umm hard to describe as I have a custom wiring harness running along the inside of my left faring from all my lighting mods. You could mount some of those stick on cable tie mounts along the inside of your faring and then put cable ties thru them and around the horn. That's basically what I did in combination with the existing wiring harness.

It's not the best/most seucre mounting job ever done, but it seems to stay put.

Yea, I thought about mounting mine in the inner fairing as well. But then after looking at the space available and the lack of secure mounting points, I moved mine to the lower left of the engine. The horn is just to heavy to be hanging off a half tightend screw and a zip tie or two. I could just see my self going over some train tracks and the screw pull out and the horn drop on the front fender.

I mounted my relay under the right pod with the fuses. Ran the wires in with the J&M harness stuff and then down to the horn on the lower part of the motor. I then got some loom and covered the wires. I think I might paint the entire horn silver, or do it all black to make it blend better. Not sure yet. But, IMO it doesnt look that bad... not for what it does. Plus it gives me a reason to let people here it when they ask what it is.

:Flash:

-bryan

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Plus it gives me a reason to let people here it when they ask what it is.

Lol! I had my buddy "closely inspect" my front forks and I let rip with the Stebel!! Sure I totally set him up for it ..."hey does your bike have this odd looking thing on your forks?...no it's up there...u have to get closer.....WHHAAAAAAAA"

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the PIAA sports horns and have not figured a way to mount them. I had them on my old motorcycle but can't quite figure out a place to mount them on the FZ6. There is actually two of them. They are pretty loud. Sounds more like a loud car horn. :thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!

Like I mentioned earlier. I thought about painting that canister black to match the actual horn. Not sure if that would make it stick out more. That or paint the whole dang thing silver to match the motor... not sure what route.

-bryan

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear (ar, ar) that the Stebel is a great horn, but I went the easier route with the FIAMM 130db Freeway Blaster horn. A breeze to mount in the stock location, loud enough to scare the *&^*%^ out of those that deserve it, and only about $15.

Here's a pic:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site

I painted mine black and have it in the factory location for the faired bikes, I had to fabricate my own bracket.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I mounted mine under the left fairing,bought a cheap L bracket from the hardware store and bolted it on to an existing screw,no movement at all :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard Fred's and, wow, what a big difference over stock. A very nice improvement. :thumbup:

BastardWaif

Ensure you are insured!
Reaction score
www.cambrianguitars.com
I fitted my Stebel under the front left fairing today. I made my own double-bracket from standard aluminum bar stock to solidly mount it to the headlight stay. I mounted the relay down where the old horn was (so I didn't have to re-route the wires, and so it can go back to stock easily if needed). I tapped the high-current horn feed right onto the battery, with a 20A fuse inline of course (!). It took a few hours to do the mod, but it was way worth it. That Stebel is freekin' LOUD!!! I love it :rockon:

Here are a few pictures I took of doing the mod - right click on the pics to see/download the hi-res version:

Cheers,
Dave F.