Stockton Chain Breaker and Riveting Tool

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
*Bought from CycleGear*

web1006916

I can't say enough good things about this tool. Very easy to use, comes in the case pictured, good quality tool.... a must have!

I just installed a new chain that I had bought a year ago. Sprockets are in good shape still, just to get me thru winter.

Some reviews say the instructions are horrible, I found them to be the opposite. They are direct, to the point, and include pictures. This is the first chain I have installed and completed the task in under 30 min, including reading the instructions and practice assembling the tool as described for the procedure. Grinding the head of the pin is "recommended" but not required for a 530 chain. I did it anyways.

The most important tip:
Take your time, tighten a little at a time, remove tool and check. If you have to use excessive force.....you are doing it wrong or something is not lined up right.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! I've got one of those too and have yet to use it. Good to know it works.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought one over a year ago and haven't used it on my bike but used it on one of our member's bike while she was doing a cross country ride.
I worked really great.
Take some time and think about how it works. Very simple really. Some videos on Youtube are not that good so watch a few videos to get a better idea of how to do it in case your not that familiar with wrenching. I recommend grinding the swedge off the pins on the link you will remove. :)

Great tool for the price and you can also get pin replacements from Cycle Gear if needed.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this same tool, from Cycle Gear on sale cheap. Haven't used it yet, but expect to need it within the next year or so. Always appreciate the reviews - nice to know it gets good marks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review!

Just as a side note, more expensive, but you cannot over tighten the masterlink (literally, monkey proof) and cheaper if you shop around some:

DID KM501E Sport Cutting and Riveting Tool - Motorcycle Superstore

I've used it, sneaking up on the spec's and found you had to fully tighten it to get it in the middle of spec's, so NO boo boo's and "do overs"...

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review!

Just as a side note, more expensive, but you cannot over tighten the masterlink (literally, monkey proof) and cheaper if you shop around some:

DID KM501E Sport Cutting and Riveting Tool - Motorcycle Superstore

I've used it, sneaking up on the spec's and found you had to fully tighten it to get it in the middle of spec's, so NO boo boo's and "do overs"...
I like that one, it's out of my price range tho. I waited for the stockton to go on sale again.....it was at 19.99 when I bought it + military discount brought it down to 15.99:thumbup: