Stolen (now recovered) Bike FZ6N Conversion

ajbuck68

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've been through these threads for a while now. I know everything is mostly old, but it is still super helpful.

Recently my FZ6 was stolen and the meth head busted it all up. Ripped the mirrors and all lights off (yes, ripped off, a screw driver or wrench was not used), drilled out the tank lock, cut out the ignition, and painted the windscreen green for some reason unbeknownst to me. It looks like hell. IMAG0176.jpgIMAG0177.jpgIMAG0175.jpg

Luckily, my battery was going and got the guy caught when a police officer stopped to help him on the side of the road.

My project now is to get it all back together, and I figured this is as a good a chance as any to go for the naked conversion.

I have a parts list:
Headlight: https://goo.gl/gSIIyf
Front Turn Signals: https://goo.gl/Gr1Q9S
Tail Light: https://goo.gl/Pe3vFq
Plate Bracket: https://goo.gl/9KQAVs
Key Set: https://goo.gl/xOhls8
Tank Cap Screws: https://goo.gl/Wbw8Wc
Tank Mount Screws: https://goo.gl/nE1e6G
Battery Screws: https://goo.gl/bZx9S4

So fair, I've taken all the fairings off. I completely removed the tank and cleaned out the fuel pump to remove all aluminum shavings from the lock being drilled out. Now, I just want it to run again before I start spending money on the cosmetics.

I replaced the battery, and the starter works well, but I think my fuel air mix is off. without help, it won't start. It's right at that point where it feels like it's almost there, but it won't do it. I thought it was the pump trying to get fuel through, but I tried for about 20 minutes, then pulled the hose off and it's definitely pumping fuel. Spraying starter spray into the airbox works like a charm, but the engine idles out as soon as the spray wears off. I'm pretty sure my fuel air mix is off and I need to adjust.

I'm probably going to follow this thread for adjusting the mix electronically: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-to-s-/30125-enable-co-adjustment-usa-only-lean-richen.html

My question is, my speedo is all wired in with my stock lights. If I'm planning on doing the naked conversion anyway, would I be fine to separate the speedo and lights on the harness? Or do i somehow need that harness when doing the conversion? And does anyone have any tips for separating the harness for the speedo from the stock lights?

Thanks guys, I really hope this forum is still alive.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're probably right about the air to fuel mixture being off but it's probably due to fuel not getting to the intake. That would probably be due to blockage at the pump filter from bad fuel or debris.

Was the bike gone for a long period?

I would treat your air to fuel theory with a cleaning of the fuel pump/filter assembly adding new fuel and a product called Sea Foam to your fuel to help clean any possible shellac from the injectors. If the injectors are really bad you may have to pull them to clean them properly.

I almost forgot! :welcome: to our great forum!
Good luck! :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You're probably right about the air to fuel mixture being off but it's probably due to fuel not getting to the intake. That would probably be due to blockage at the pump filter from bad fuel or debris.

Was the bike gone for a long period?

I would treat your air to fuel theory with a cleaning of the fuel pump/filter assembly adding new fuel and a product called Sea Foam to your fuel to help clean any possible shellac from the injectors. If the injectors are really bad you may have to pull them to clean them properly.

I almost forgot! :welcome: to our great forum!
Good luck! :)

Agreed 100% ^^^.

Don't start messing with CO adjustments. That's NOT your starting issue.

There's an issue elsewhere that fuel isn't making it to the cylinders. You didn't mention if the fuel pump started up with the ignition turned on(I assume it is is fuel is shooting out when the key is turned on)

Get the basic things (ignition switch, wiring, etc) checked / cleaned first. How much crap came out of the fuel pump filter / tank?
As noted above, if crap got past (or water) the pump, that would clog up the injectors. All the fuel pressure won't get past a clogged injector.

Also, try holding the throttle WIDE OPEN when cranking for several seconds at a time (don't overheat the starter). Repeat. (Should the engine just be flooded)...

Sometimes the engine will flood and holding the throttle often will allow the engine to fire up....

You may want to peek at the spark plugs as well and see if their fouled...

Last edited:

ajbuck68

Reaction score
Visit site
Groggy engine, won't stay running

Long story short, my fz6 was stolen and recovered and now I'm trying to get it running again. I can't seem to get it to a steady idle. It will start, but then it idles itself out in a few seconds. Giving it a little throttle will kill it instantly. It will run fine on starter spray, however.

What I have attempted:
1. Disassemble and clean tank and fuel pump
a. The thief drilled out the tank lock, so there were some aluminum shavings in the tank
b. The filter had enough flakes on the outside to probably cover a dime, but I'm pretty confident nothing got through (unfortunately you can't replace the filter on the fz6)
c. The pump was otherwise amazingly clean
d. Fully flushed and cleaned the tank and pump appropriately
2. Check fuel pump is working
a. I can easily hear the fuel pump pressurizing when turning the kill switch to "on"
b. When I removed the hose on the end of the fuel pump, a steady stream of fuel poured out
3. Attempt to start with throttle wide open to clear out engine flooding (suggested elsewhere on the forum)
a. no dice
4. Adjust fuel air mix on the speedo (Did this next just because it's easier than some other options)
a. Grounded the wire and got to the Co menus
b. Curiously, the settings for both C:01 and C:02 were at 0. Most on the forums have reported their C:01 being ~10-20 lower than their C:02.
c. Adjusted them as high as 20/40 - Did see a result at this level, as the bike idled around 1k rpm for about 10 seconds now, but still died instantly with throttle
d. Set them to 0/10 while I move on to other things

My problem sounds a lot like this thread here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/41746-no-fuel-pressure.html

Next things I can try:
1. Check/clean or replace the spark plugs
2. Check/clean the injectors
3. Check/clean the coil connections

Do you guys have any thoughts? Anything else to try? Any particular order you guys would suggest, perhaps in order of difficulty so I can hopefully spend the least amount of time on this.

I have tried pulling the spark plugs. I got the tops off, but I couldn't get my 14mm socket to grab the plug, any tips? I've been searching the forums trying to find others with similar struggles.

Thanks,

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just keep your thread here, it's easier.. Admin will move it later. As long as it's active it'll stay on the cover page here.

Do you have the stock spark plug that came with the tool kit?
If not, a thin walled socket will work...

Can you video and post the bike cranking and trying to start, it may help.

It's sounding like the injexctors may be clogged at this time. Finalimpact has posted a DIYer on cleaning them, he should chime in soon with that thread.

PM sent as well

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Groggy engine, won't stay running

Thread has been merged.... :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks Cliff.
If I were to guess I'd say the Pressure Regulator in the pump is stuck open and you're not building proper pressure. The injectors need 36 psi.

Your starter fluid and co adjusts indicate plugs are firing and the engine can run if it has something to burn.

What you need to do is connect a fuel pressure gauge to the pumps output. A 0 - 100 PSI gauge will do. If below 36, pull the pump and remove and clean the P/R. Its a tiny valve with spring and seat. The pump is capable of 70+psi and uses that valve as a controlled leak so to speak.
Do you have an air compressor? It could be used to back flow the valve. Valve has a strap like clip with two locks on it.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Gauge cluster is not needed to run engine.... Plugs are 5/8". So a plug socket of 5/8" and and 4" extension and you're set.

Check this out. All about the fuel system....
Fuel Pump Trouble Shooting

Plenty of pictures and descriptions in that link above.

Last edited:

ajbuck68

Reaction score
Visit site
Just keep your thread here, it's easier.. Admin will move it later. As long as it's active it'll stay on the cover page here.

Do you have the stock spark plug that came with the tool kit?
If not, a thin walled socket will work...

Can you video and post the bike cranking and trying to start, it may help.

It's sounding like the injexctors may be clogged at this time. Finalimpact has posted a DIYer on cleaning them, he should chime in soon with that thread.

PM sent as well

[MENTION=15974]FinalImpact[/MENTION]

I do not have the stock tool kit. The guy who stole that took it out too. I did get a socket in with an extension pretty easily, but it sounds like i need to try 5/8" instead. I'll take a look at that injector thread. I will be able to take a video of cranking it tomorrow and I'll try to post so you guys can give it a listen.

And thanks a ton for those manuals. Especially the shop one goes very in depth.

Is it this thread too???:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...tolen-now-recovered-bike-fz6n-conversion.html

Did you try any of the suggestions there???

I see you changed the CO #'s too as NOT recommended by several members...

Two threads certainly makes it much harder for anyone to help....

Good luck ..

Sorry about the duplicate threads. Since I posted in the conversion section, but I was trying to get the bike running first, I realized maybe I should have posted in the technical section. Thank you mods for fixing that.

I did try all of the suggestions given above. I knew it wasn't the pump being blocked as I had already fully disassembled and cleaned and it was definitely pushing fuel through (although I need to check the actual pressure). I have not gotten to pulling and cleaning the injectors yet as that will be more of a weekend job and just wanted to try easier stuff first, but it is on my list for this saturday. Holding the throttle wide open for many attempts did not fix it. I attempted the CO settings as a mechanic I knew told me as I long as I changed them back at the end it wouldn't hurt and may help in diagnosing and because it was a simple thing I could attempt in 15 minutes.

Thanks Cliff.
If I were to guess I'd say the Pressure Regulator in the pump is stuck open and you're not building proper pressure. The injectors need 36 psi.

Your starter fluid and co adjusts indicate plugs are firing and the engine can run if it has something to burn.

What you need to do is connect a fuel pressure gauge to the pumps output. A 0 - 100 PSI gauge will do. If below 36, pull the pump and remove and clean the P/R. Its a tiny valve with spring and seat. The pump is capable of 70+psi and uses that valve as a controlled leak so to speak.
Do you have an air compressor? It could be used to back flow the valve. Valve has a strap like clip with two locks on it.

I'll need to check the pressure. I see auto zone has a loaner tool set for fuel pump diagnostics, so I'll rent that this weekend and take a look.

Gauge cluster is not needed to run engine.... Plugs are 5/8". So a plug socket of 5/8" and and 4" extension and you're set.

Check this out. All about the fuel system....
Fuel Pump Trouble Shooting

Plenty of pictures and descriptions in that link above.

Hmm, that's weird. I saw a few other places that said it was 14mm. But I trust you guys. I just didn't want to go sticking random socket sizes down to find out and getting a socket stuck or stripping the plug. I'll give the 5/8" a shot tomorrow and see how it works out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and sorry about the multiple threads and too many posts. Part of that was because I was trying to do it on my phone in the garage, and part because I'm new on here. Thanks to the mods for cleaning that up. I've reported a few of my duplicate posts to be deleted (standard procedure in other forums, let me know if you would prefer different) to clean up the thread.

My list of things to do:
1. Record video of trying to start and post on here
2. Remove the spark plugs and check now that I know the right size
3. Rent some fuel pump diagnostic tools and check the output pressure
4. Remove and clean the injectors

Thanks for the help everyone.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the plus side if the tank was clean inside there is likely no need to pull the injectors.

If the fuel pressure is too low, the mininal time they are open at idle is not long enough to supply the volume of fuel needed to run properly.

Did you follow the fuel pump link up above?

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, plug thread is 14mm. That is not a reference to the socket size needed for install or removal.

ajbuck68

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the video of attempting startup

[video]https://goo.gl/photos/9jGBJuHrAy72jhg4A[/video]

And then I pulled one of my plugs. I'd say they need replaced.

IMAG0191.jpg

I only pulled one because I didn't have the replacements yet. I'll replace these on Saturday (not getting Iridium by TownsendsFJR1300's advice) and hopefully that fixes the issues. Otherwise, I'll be on to the fuel pressure testing and injectors.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the video of attempting startup

[video]https://goo.gl/photos/9jGBJuHrAy72jhg4A[/video]

And then I pulled one of my plugs. I'd say they need replaced.

View attachment 67333

I only pulled one because I didn't have the replacements yet. I'll replace these on Saturday (not getting Iridium by TownsendsFJR1300's advice) and hopefully that fixes the issues. Otherwise, I'll be on to the fuel pressure testing and injectors.

No Pressure.
No Fuel.
No Run.
It needs fuel. Test the pressure!

Battery is very happy - Cranks SO fast! Plugs are not your issue as stated before. It wants fuel. Find out why it has less than it needs!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good video, thanks.. Agreed, it's not getting enough fuel to run.

It is getting just a tiny bit(trying to start).

Checking the pressure should get you closer.

Last edited: