Tail Light Fuse Shorting Out

Tnguyen6911

Reaction score
Visit site
My tail/turning signal lights suddenly stop working. I checked the fuses and the only fuse that blew was the tail light fuse.Every time I replace the tail light fuse is blows. How could I find out where the short is coming from.

Tnguyen6911

Reaction score
Visit site
Help man down. Tail Light Fuse Shorting Out

My tail, plate, and turning signal light suddenly stop working. After checking the fuses, only the tail light fuse blew. When I replace the fuse, it constantly blew. Please help me find where this short is coming from.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
You'll need to trace the circuit back from the lights and look for any breaks in the insulation. The tail light and turn signals are relatively easy to get to.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Help man down. Tail Light Fuse Shorting Out

What work has been done RECENTLY to the bike, especially towards the rear (or anywhere)?

You have a dead short (hot line is shorting direct to ground)most likely or someone wired something incorrectly.

If the first, you need to start at the tail and start inspecting closely for a bare wire with no insulation left.

*You may, with the help of another, find it by listening closely, IE;

Turn off the red kill switch (no fuel pump noise).

Put in a new fuse.

Have someone turn on the key and listen VERY CLOSELY. You can probably hear the short to ground right before the fuse blows and head in that area where the issue is..

This "pop" will happen very, very quickly so you have to pay CLOSE attention and pick up some extra fuses and work in a VERY QUIET SPOT.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I'd remove the left pod and unplug the big white connector shown here.
This would isolate the bike from the tail section. If a new fuse remains intact, the aft section can be removed and look for chaffed wires.

Is the Tail section OEM or is it aftermarket LED or something else???

Plug on the right which is white. I think 3 wires. The grey and black are turn indicators.
attachment.php

With the connector undone and the bulb removed; take an ohm meter set to the lowest resistance value and ground one lead to the chassis. Insert the other lead into and touch a bulb contact. If either show ZERO or low ohms like less than 100ohms that leg is shorted between the light and the connector you removed. Its should be very easy to isolate.

Even with stock exhaust the grab handle and light come off in seconds for complete access. Do you have a hand held meter?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FWIW: I merged the threads....
F/I