Tank Repair in toronto Canada

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys so sad to say i did not start my season to well this year. I did all my repairs to the front cowling on my bike only to minutes later shatter it into oblivion due to not realizing my back tire went flat over a month of sitting. first pull on my back brake had me sliding side ways and went right into a curb. dislocated my shoulder but i am fine a week later drove it 200km just the other day after temp fixing it to get it home from a friends house. Thankfully no engine frame or alignment damages just superficial damages and a wire harness i patched up.

I was trying to find a place that pulls or pushes tank dents out but can only seem to find parts shops. my only other option is to take it to a regular body shop and see if they can pull it out. any help would be appreciated. Going straight up street fighter look and painting the bike Matte army green as planed this indecent just cemented the decision :p 93908723_2870156663039576_6516829134637760512_n.jpg93964420_2870156523039590_8290605681053007872_n.jpg

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that sucks. I'm not sure if our tank is single wall or double wall. If it is single wall the dent "may" be repaired easily, with some filling on the final repair. If it is double walled, the only way to repair it will be to cut it open, make the repair and then reweld it. Rewelding a tank is not as bad as it sounds - I had the tank on my cafe racer reshaped - cutting off the entire lower half. While it was in pieces I did have a large dent repaired. But it is expensive. I think I spent around $300 to have someone do the work - and it still required a lot of finish work by me.

I think your best bet would be to locate a salvage tank. It may take some time to find a good salvage tank, so you can use that time to get local and on-line quotes to repair your damaged tank.

Glad to hear you are OK too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The tank is single walled and if you remove the fuel pump, you'll have MUCH more access to hammer out / pry that dent out.

Glad your ok...

The inside with the pump removed, looking thru where the fuel pump goes:

tank #2.JPG

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, bags filled with sand, they are placed on the side you are not hammering (or next to where you are hammering) to dampen the impact of the hammer. It gives the workman more control and less of a chance to create creases. It’s the same concept as using a dolly, but allows a curved surface. Maybe it’s not common, I learned to use that technique on aluminum.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, bags filled with sand, they are placed on the side you are not hammering (or next to where you are hammering) to dampen the impact of the hammer. It gives the workman more control and less of a chance to create creases. It’s the same concept as using a dolly, but allows a curved surface. Maybe it’s not common, I learned to use that technique on aluminum.
I saw a little bit on youtube..... sand and shot bags. Really interesting. You don't get to see craftsmanship much these days.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That sounds like an interesting technique. I learned sheet metal repair from the finest auto body repair techs. This started with my Dad and then Fisher Body Division work training program in the late 60's

I am so grateful for the people and personalities that were a part of my life. They gave me gifts that can't be measured.

That's why I like our active forum community..... "Well whaddaya think we should do?..... I dunno..... get that hammer over there......no...the bags of sand and that BFH!":oops: