Thank God I had gear!

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
So it looks like I am going to be out for a bit. I hit gravel and was sliding all over. I was good till I went in the grass a hit a hole and highsided. I landed on my head and shoulder, Bike hit me in the back pushed me further and head hit a fence post. Bike looks ok for the most part from what I could tell it is the whole front faring and handlebar. I rode it home. Whole body aches right now.
The curve is a 45mph and I was doing 37. So even at 37 a high side will really f**k up your day. I am so glad I was wearing all my gear. This the only mark on me was when my shoulder and helmet hit, the helmet went in my shoulder.

Could have been way worse than it was. Buddy I was riding with has a splint on his leg and had to have gravel picked out. He lowsided and only had a long sleeve sweatshirt on and some vans. tore the shoes all up.

I had a Armored jacket, Scorpion Gloves, Sedici Helmet, Sedici leathers, and tourmaster full leather and reinforced boots. Got scuffs on all the gear and I will have to replace the helmet. there is a spot where it hit the fence post.

So even though it may be hot, wear your gear! It will save you!

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear your ok!

After my wreck I was sore for a while, didn't really set in until like day 2 or 3.

Hope you and your bike make a speedy recovery!!

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Gator - glad you got through it and were wearing all the gear!

If your helmet has more than a simple scuff mark then it probably saved your life when you hit the fence post, or at least kept you from brain damage. I know that a good Arai helmet, in 1976, saved my life. The local distributor gave me a new one at cost so he could have the busted one to show as an example. The first day it just looked like a gouge/crease across the fiberglass. Then the gouge seemed to expand and a big spot got mushy.

I know that some people will think I'm weird, but I'd suggest seeing a chiropractor before too long. From this sort of incident you can easily get a disk or several out of alignment. If you tough it out (like I did) or see an MD and take pain killers & muscle relaxants, you will not have fixed the misalignment. Your neck will tell you this was a mistake, but not till about 15 years later - and then you can't really correct the issue like you cold have if you'd acted shortly after the accident. OTOH be wary of the chiropractor. Some of them (a few) seem to think you need to have regular adjustments for the rest of your life. It should take just a few visits, not for months and months, but the sooner the better.

Chris

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoot, everyone's wrecking or healing up???? WTH?

And 37 MPH is plenty fast enough to get killed...

Anyway, glad your ok, heal up quickly!! Your just getting into riding season!!

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoot, everyone's wrecking or healing up???? WTH?

And 37 MPH is plenty fast enough to get killed...

Anyway, glad your ok, heal up quickly!! Your just getting into riding season!!

Hey Scott, Glad you walked away with minimal injuries (pain).
I agree with ShoopCE and also prefer visiting a massage therapist to make the pains go off quickly.

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
Yea I went over the helmet. It needs to be replaced. there is a small dime sized chunk taken out of it, might have been the large staples they used for the cattle fence.

52pickup

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad you're okay man! And deeply appreciate the lessons this site preaches...All the gear all the time! When it's hot out and I start thinking about riding in my jeans...I just get in my car instead. The choices you made saved your life. Thanks for being a good teacher for the rest of us!:rockon:

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStwyh7qL18

This was as is from the drift except for the part at the end, I cut that off. It was the same speed as we just came off a curve that was tighter than this one.

I think the speed and the gravel as well as a little fixation on him and the fence was my undoing. I thought it was 37 but that was when it was too late. I was going 52 before I slowed down and hit the gravel at 43, the back end was locking up and I was trying to keep the front from locking up and tank slapping, heavy gravel at 37

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Much thanks for your video :3

[video=youtube_share;fStwyh7qL18]https://youtu.be/fStwyh7qL18[/video]

It's a good thing you turned out okay, with your bike mostly intact! That totally looked like target fixation though :(

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
Well like it is said "it is not if, it is when. Just mitigate the risk as much as possible"

I hope someone can learn from my mistake at the very least.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
glad you came thru pretty much intact- heal up fast and going naked is not a bad thing

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it might be cheaper to just streetfighter it would it not?

Probably, yes.

I had to replace all those parts on mine (plus fuel tank) as the PO wrecked it (not as bad) but I liked the stock look and the new parts did make it look brand new. But I got it for $2K and put another $1,300 or so into brand new parts so I was still pretty much at what the bike should cost..

I couldn't go naked as I have too much stuff hidden in the fairing, (Steble, electrical "panel", 590 GPS 6' "octopus" wiring harness, etc)...

Last edited:

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
The insurance is paying for it right? You shouldn't worry about the cost.

Well bad thing about that, I thought I had changed the insurance deductible to 250 when i upped the other uninsured motorist but I didn't so it is at $1,000. So if it is cheaper to repair it my self then I think that is the better way. I was going to check it yesterday but man was i sore still. Today I feel better and not as sore.

After looking at the video over and over, I think Zealot is right mostly. It looks like because I was fixated on the fence I turned the handle bars back towards it and if i would have just let it go down to the left like it was doing I would have been ok.

Oh Well.

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got around to taking off the front. The fairing is cracked on the left side a bit but not in a critical area. The major thing that is messed up is that part that holds the cluster and part of the fairing. loots like a T with ears and is held on by 2 bolts. Not sure what that is called. Other than that everything else is fine.

EDIT*** It is called the Stay. that is what is bent.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Really sorry to hear about your off, but pleased you was wearing your gear. Hope you get back on the road soon .

Hope your friend heals up soon, and that he wears gear from now on.