The “O-ring” thread, a useless thread that won’t solve anything!

Beerdrinker

2^57885161-1
Reaction score
Visit site
A friend of mine works at the Hutchinson factory. They produce, O-rings for all kind of uses, from water tap to aerospace, you name it.
I ask him about the chain O-rings and the tolerance they have to products like WD40, kerosene etc.

The answer:
The O-rings made for a certain application may be made with different compound’s, some compound’s resist to certain types of products, and some compound’s, in the exact same appliance will be affected by them! The O-ring quality is never in stake despite the formulas used! The use of a product in the O-rings, other than an “O-ring safe” it’s risky. One production series of the chain may be made with one type of O-rings and the other series, with other…

My conclusion:
I think this is the reason why forums are so full of dissertations about this matter, several people with different types of experiences with the exact same product!
Have you been Lucky so far?

I think I have been lucky because I wash my old chain with WD40, kerosene and O-ring safe spray and I made about 80000km (50000 miles) with it… but now I have a new chain… :confused:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I switched to Teflon spray early on, and still use the original chain at 27,000 miles.
No clue at how "good" the rings are, though.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My top of the line, DID X-ring chain has 6,000 miles on it (always cleaned and lubed).

I have slithers of the O-ring coming out from the side plates.

I don't think I've ever seen an o-ring fail this quickly, especially on a chain exremly well maintained.. :(

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
My top of the line, DID X-ring chain has 6,000 miles on it (always cleaned and lubed).

I don't think I've ever seen an o-ring fail this quickly, especially on a chain exremly well maintained.. :(

what kind of oil/lubricant are you using and what kind of cleaner are you using while you maintaining your chain?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
what kind of oil/lubricant are you using and what kind of cleaner are you using while you maintaining your chain?

Ozgur,

"Maxima" motorcycle chain specific cleaner, Grunge brush and "Original Bike Spirits" motorcycle chain specific lube (used to sold under Honda's name years ago).

I'll order 6-8 cans at a time, and have used both on other 0-ringed chains for years. The FZ rarely see's rain as its not a commuter where as the others were... I think the next chain will be a regualr o-ring chain.

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 35k on the original chain 32k miles of which I put on the bike myself.

I am not what you would call a habitual chain cleaner.. more of a frequent user of chain lube. But still I have cleaned the chain with kerosene about 5 to 7 times over 5 years.

The chain looks perfect. not a kinked link or any sign of it needing replacement. I will probably change it anyway when I hit 40k (next winter).

I had some clown sales guy at cycle gear try and tell me kerosene is bad for the o-rings. I tried my best to remain polite and suceeded

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have about 6k miles on a EK QX-ring (not sure what the Q stands for) I use Bel-Ray Super Clean lube and only cleaned the chain three times. Still looks and feels new. I stopped using a grunge brush after reading many complaints about it being harsh on O and X ring chains. Never had any problems myself.

I like the Bel-Ray Super Clean, it really doesn't seem to ever get dirty.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Ozgur,

"Maxima" motorcycle chain specific cleaner, Grunge brush and "Original Bike Spirits" motorcycle chain specific lube (used to sold under Honda's name years ago).

I'll order 6-8 cans at a time, and have used both on other 0-ringed chains for years. The FZ rarely see's rain as its not a commuter where as the others were... I think the next chain will be a regualr o-ring chain.
I don't know what is grunge brush but I'm cleaning with paint brush which has 1.5 inches width and 0.5 inch depth. It's hairs are soft, not hash for o/x rings.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what is grunge brush but I'm cleaning with paint brush which has 1.5 inches width and 0.5 inch depth. It's hairs are soft, not hash for o/x rings.
Also I'm using kerosene for cleaning and wiping the kerosene instantly because it's causing rust. After an hour, I'm lubing it with Motul chain oil (sometimes C4 , sometimes c2+)

JTL

Reaction score
Visit site

I had the same happen to my DID x-ring chain. After the one ring ( :D ) got lost at about 10tkm, it developed a stretched part to that area of the chain and now at ~15tkm mark it looks like it is time for a new chain. The original o-ring DID lasted for 40tkm....

I have only used Motul On-road lube and Motul chain clean for both. Never used any brushes, just the Motul cleaning spray and a rag. Conclusion -> X-rings might be mechanically inferior to O-rings.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone take their wire brush away!! Blah

21,xxxx miles on oem chain an sprock! Looks like new!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same happen to my DID x-ring chain. After the one ring ( :D ) got lost at about 10tkm, it developed a stretched part to that area of the chain and now at ~15tkm mark it looks like it is time for a new chain. The original o-ring DID lasted for 40tkm....

I have only used Motul On-road lube and Motul chain clean for both. Never used any brushes, just the Motul cleaning spray and a rag. Conclusion -> X-rings might be mechanically inferior to O-rings.

I have to agree with you. I've used the grunge brush ( which isn't terribly course) on my chains for well over 20 years (various bikes). I've never had an o-ring "come out". BTW, I've used the brush and cleaner in 3-4 times in 6,000 miles, lube, probably every 200 miles.

As noted, the bike doesn't see the rain and if it looks remotly dirty, gets cleaned.

I'm NOT impressed with this DID X chain and when needed, replace with a regular, o-ring chain, probably OEM actually..

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
I got 45k on original chain and sprockets... just used chain lube every week or two. replaced with OEM since first set lasted so long.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Someone take their wire brush away!! Blah

21,xxxx miles on oem chain an sprock! Looks like new!

If taken care of, 21,000+ miles can be easily had on the OEM sprockets and chain.

My bike was bought used/wrecked, the chain lubed ONCE in its first 4,500 miles(before I bought it from a friend who bought it new).

BTW, their NOT steel wires on the brush. A man made polyester brush of some sort and aren't terribly course

For the few times I have to clean it (as needed)-its as clean as my header, I'll generally use the Maxim twice, (with a water rinse inbetween) and the brush so, no, its NOT terribly aggressive.

And also, you have an OEM chain, the DID X ring chain, different SEALS (which seem to last longer).

As noted, I've Never had a chains o-rings break down SO QUICKLY, especially with it maintained.

Pretty disappointed in the X-chain, it won't see another one...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If taken care of, 21,000+ miles can be easily had on the OEM sprockets and chain.

My bike was bought used/wrecked, the chain lubed ONCE in its first 4,500 miles(before I bought it from a friend who bought it new).

BTW, their NOT steel wires on the brush. A man made polyester brush of some sort and aren't terribly course

For the few times I have to clean it (as needed)-its as clean as my header, I'll generally use the Maxim twice, (with a water rinse inbetween) and the brush so, no, its NOT terribly aggressive.

And also, you have an OEM chain, the DID X ring chain, different SEALS (which seem to last longer).

As noted, I've Never had a chains o-rings break down SO QUICKLY, especially with it maintained.

Pretty disappointed in the X-chain, it won't see another one...

Scott,
Glad you posted that! Hopefully it spares some others the expense of buying defunct product. I'd be pretty disappointed if I'd made that purchase as I also take pretty good care of the drive train and don't need a failure of that kind.

Perhaps a Quick Product review with the same comments?? >> 600riders.com forum product reviews.

PS - I finally found a way to dispense that product I've been using. A syringe through a blunt tip dispenser. --> DUMONDE Tech, BHP Chain Lubrication & O-Ring Conditioner. Problem is you have to make two passes..... Good stuff tho!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott,
Glad you posted that! Hopefully it spares some others the expense of buying defunct product. I'd be pretty disappointed if I'd made that purchase as I also take pretty good care of the drive train and don't need a failure of that kind.

Perhaps a Quick Product review with the same comments?? >> 600riders.com forum product reviews.

PS - I finally found a way to dispense that product I've been using. A syringe through a blunt tip dispenser. --> DUMONDE Tech, BHP Chain Lubrication & O-Ring Conditioner. Problem is you have to make two passes..... Good stuff tho!

Thanks Randy,

As noted, I've been usng the same products for easily two decades (I have probably 8 cans of chain lube in the garage, 3 cans of cable spray, etc).

I can easily get 20,000 miles out of a chain (unless caught in a storm) and is NOT a commuter so this chain should last a long time...

I know it won't, but just keep it good and lubed up in the meantime. (If it see's rain, it at least gets relubed... )

DID, IMO, was the best chain, maybe its just the x-ring. I think the OEM chain is a DID off shoot for the FZ and as you noted, with maintainance, should easily last more than this...

Live and learn! :thumbup: