The Fz6 Really is a Great Starter Bike

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, the real power is too high up for anyone but an idiot to get themselves in trouble. You basically have to whip the throttle wide open, which isn't the kind of thing that happens accidentally.

After driving automatic cars for ~8 years before getting the FZ6, the bike sounded like it was screaming long before it even hit that sweet spot around 7k+ RPMs. I avoided revving it that high for weeks out of habit since 90% of cars redline before that.

Not to mention the fact that a 250 costs just as much to repair if you drop it. Possibly more since there's so much extra plastic...

True on the FZ6 part, however, a newbie in a panic situation may tend to grab a bigger handfull of throttle then they wanted. This (IMO) is why we tend to not suggest the FZ6 as a first bike for those who have not had any type of motorcycle before.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
My thought- anyone can go from 0-a bazillion mph in so and so seconds, where the real skill comes in is throttle control in the middle of a tight turn. Little 250s are great for that, and a lot harder to get into trouble with.

If your mature enough to keep it under 7k sure, there's lots of bikes that would work. I just see to many squids that buy a bike because they want to go fast. It's easy to say your mature enough, but are you really? ;)

I started on a rebel 250, which was great, even though my offroad race bike had 3 times the horsepower. Was great for learning how the road reacts different to dirt, turning in, throttle control and surprisingly fun in town!

Now that I've moved onto the "Ninja 650 on stilts" I'm glad I learned on both dirt and that little 250.

But it would also be correct in saying some of these standard bikes like the FZ6 and Versys could be great starter bikes (with wrist control :D). I can't think of a better slow speed maneuvering motorcycle I've been on. Both the fizzer and the V I've been on I instantly felt like I'd covered thousands of miles on them-super user friendly!

Comes down to maturity :D

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it was more like. 1st:65 2nd:90 3rd:110 4th:125 5th:135 6th:145/ish on stock gearing. But no speedo corrector ma jigger. ;)

Weight 220 ish

And doing it better than SS bikes in my class. The six was my first. But It did have alot of baby time. I bought it with 14 miles on her. I probably went 1k miles keeping it very tame.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

Reaction score
Visit site
Comes down to maturity :D

Couldn't agree more. I feel a retort when someone says is XXXXX bike good for a beginner, is to say that it depends on the individual. I personally am the type to head out and do plenty of research before even setting my rear on a bike. I've got a few friends who ride and they all have taught me to be terrified (at least initially). I've heard a lot of mixed feelings about this bike for first time riders but chose this purchase for a few different reasons. I'm a heavier guy (260 lbs.) and want to feel safe riding on a highway on occasion. Also, I'll be using this to commute to work (all city roads) with my significant other (eventually 3-5 times per week) and want the bike to be able to support two up without an issue.

I fully intend to take the bike to a parking lot after taking my MSF course to get the hang of things. I couldn't fathom how some people buy a bike without ever riding one and expect to ride it off the lot that same day. Everything in baby steps... but once I get the hang of something I'll keep it moving! Last on my list of things to get the hang of would be riding two-up obviously. :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Good plan buddy. I put probably 25 miles on my brotgers 250 ninja before stepping up. It's all in your head! Don't get stupid and end up in the RIP. section.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ-6 was my first bike too, It was an '07 in 2007 when I was 47. :rolleyes:

I did okay learning on it, might be dead if I got it when I was 17. Had two near-death experiences (downshifted when I shoulda upshifted, and grabbed a handful of throttle when I shoulda grabbed a handful of brake, both brainfarts rather than FZ problems) but otherwise she was good to me. :thumbup:

I'm 6'5" and bought her based on a mag review which said she fit their tallest rider well. I just got a BMW enduro and there's a lot more legroom, but still love my fizzer for short rides; w00t!! :rockon:

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I'm saying to all those who are saying they love both of their Fz6's. It really is two different motorcycles. One is an average bike for around town cruising and if the rev range is not explored. The other is a beast when pressed and will reward those who push it safely.

Either way, like I said, my frame of reference was a 800cc cruiser. To me, this bike has outstanding low speed handling and is extremely predictable. Also, due to the height, I feel as though I am better seen by other drivers than I was down low on the cruiser. I know it really isn't that big of a difference going from 27" to 31" but it sure seems like more than that perched on that seat. Plus, the comfort and ability to have your feet underneath you vs. having the in front of you makes a huuuuuuge difference for longer rides. I especially don't see how cruisers with giant ape hangers can be comfortable for more than a few miles.

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought it was more like. 1st:65 2nd:90 3rd:110 4th:125 5th:135 6th:145/ish on stock gearing. But no speedo corrector ma jigger. ;)

Weight 220 ish

And doing it better than SS bikes in my class. The six was my first. But It did have alot of baby time. I bought it with 14 miles on her. I probably went 1k miles keeping it very tame.

never looked at the speed redlining in 1st or 2nd. i know at 13k in 3rd i read 110, and in 4th the speed is exactly 10x the tach reading (40 @ 4k, 70 @ 7k, 120 @ 12k, etc.) and i know that my bike will read 135 with my saddlebags on, with room to spare (and the bags hold fine too). and yes my bike is completely stock except for the bags and the Yami touring screen.

but as a noobie you shouldn't know any of this info first hand:spank:
and i still think it would be safer to take the bike up to speed in 3rd as opposed to 1st or 2nd, if you're not ready it happens too fast in the lower gears.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
never looked at the speed redlining in 1st or 2nd. i know at 13k in 3rd i read 110, and in 4th the speed is exactly 10x the tach reading (40 @ 4k, 70 @ 7k, 120 @ 12k, etc.) and i know that my bike will read 135 with my saddlebags on, with room to spare (and the bags hold fine too). and yes my bike is completely stock except for the bags and the Yami touring screen.

but as a noobie you shouldn't know any of this info first hand:spank:
and i still think it would be safer to take the bike up to speed in 3rd as opposed to 1st or 2nd, if you're not ready it happens too fast in the lower gears.

You must be a lot more conservative than me. I redlined in first within 5 miles of first riding the bike. Within 20 miles I redlined in second (had to get on the freeway). It was my first bike and I finished the BRC 2 weeks before.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Any rider who thinks the FZ6 does not have enough power for street riding and needs to be "upgraded after a few years" is either a Superbike Racing Pro or needs to hit the gym more!

The FZ6 is faster than 99% of sport cars on the road if you know what you are doing and are not a huge dude. With a small rider the little 600 really pulls! :thumbup:

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
Any rider who thinks the FZ6 does not have enough power for street riding and needs to be "upgraded after a few years" is either a Superbike Racing Pro or needs to hit the gym more!

The FZ6 is faster than 99% of sport cars on the road if you know what you are doing and are not a huge dude. With a small rider the little 600 really pulls! :thumbup:

I'm a semi-big dude (220lbs, 6'0) and it hauls plenty fast for me!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Never lost on the interstate :). Well except to some random Saturn sky redline. An I highly doubt that thing was stock.

Ask me why you never dump the clutch at a light. It's been 3 yrs and my bal$$/pride still hurt. Haha

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
I started on a fz6 BUT I was riding a fz6r like 4hrs after being on a motorcycle for the first time so i picked up pretty quick ( im guessing due to my mountain bike background), The reason I didnt go for a 250 (cbr or ninja) is because A) my insurance was acting crazy just because those are "sport bikes" and B) i knew i would be on the highway a lot... I was actually looking at a klx250 supermoto too but my MSF instructor told me i shouldnt because he thought i was already ready for a bigger bike.. ( he was the one who let me try out the fz6r to show me that i was ready for a 600cc even tho it was only day one of the class lol) also he told all of the class to try to avoid carb. bikes living in colorado... I love my bike and i havent "out grown" it HOWEVER!!!! i kind of wish i also had a ninja 250 as like a second bike, Coming from mountain biking, i understand the value of having a super light bike and also being a huge car guy i know how much being in a low powered ride can help you learn soooo much! I really feel like i would be a better rider if i had gotten a ninja 250 but i also know i wouldnt still be happy with it like i am with the fz6

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I really feel like i would be a better rider if i had gotten a ninja 250 but i also know i wouldnt still be happy with it like i am with the fz6

+1,000,000 I've felt the same way. If it doesn't move the spirit then what's the point of dealing with the risk/expense/heat/cold and just about any other drawback to motorcycling.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
You must be a lot more conservative than me. I redlined in first within 5 miles of first riding the bike. Within 20 miles I redlined in second (had to get on the freeway). It was my first bike and I finished the BRC 2 weeks before.

No, i bought my bike brand spankin' new, and during break in (1st 1000mi.) you're not supposed to take the bike over 10k rpm, and not over 8k for extended periods. Since i plan on keeping the bike for a long time, i take care of my stuff very well so i baby the bike as much as possible. Dont get me wrong, i ride the hell out of it most of the time im out, i rarely take rides less than 100-150mi. and i cant think of a single ride since break in where i haven't hit triple-digits. also my first month or so i was riding less than legally *cough* and didn't want to get pulled over for any reason.

I still have yet to take an MSF course but the Sweater Family Riding School has taught me a heck of a lot. My instructor (the old man) has 40+ years of street/track riding without a wreck, so he's been doing something right.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
No, i bought my bike brand spankin' new, and during break in (1st 1000mi.) you're not supposed to take the bike over 10k rpm, and not over 8k for extended periods. Since i plan on keeping the bike for a long time, i take care of my stuff very well so i baby the bike as much as possible. Dont get me wrong, i ride the hell out of it most of the time im out, i rarely take rides less than 100-150mi. and i cant think of a single ride since break in where i haven't hit triple-digits. also my first month or so i was riding less than legally *cough* and didn't want to get pulled over for any reason.

I still have yet to take an MSF course but the Sweater Family Riding School has taught me a heck of a lot. My instructor (the old man) has 40+ years of street/track riding without a wreck, so he's been doing something right.

I got my bike with 7000 miles on it and came with a fresh oil change so I can see why you were conservative. If I ever buy a brand new bike I'll do a cautious break in as well.