Need Help The meter RPM display is abnormal

sam c

Reaction score
Visit site
MY BIKE IS 2006 FZ6S,RPM has been showing lower and lower levels recently.Drive no more than 2000 RPM this morning.But the driving is normal without any abnormality.no fault codes。 Is this a TPS failure? Or something else? How can I check?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Crankshaft Position Sensor should be where the ECU gets the RPM from. Then it's included on a single data line to the instrument cluster.If either the TPS or CPS failed the bike would not run properly and you would see a code with a CPS failure.
If I remember correctly the S1 FZ6 has the digital cluster and can be put in a mode to read actual rpm as well as display it in bars segments digitally representing a tach. Do both readouts agree with low rpm?

Oh yeah!
Welcome to this great forum!

sam c

Reaction score
Visit site
Crankshaft Position Sensor should be where the ECU gets the RPM from. Then it's included on a single data line to the instrument cluster.If either the TPS or CPS failed the bike would not run properly and you would see a code with a CPS failure.
If I remember correctly the S1 FZ6 has the digital cluster and can be put in a mode to read actual rpm as well as display it in bars segments digitally representing a tach. Do both readouts agree with low rpm?

Oh yeah!
Welcome to this great forum!
Daer Ctif
Thanks for your input, the actual RPM and the bar part showing the RPM as a number are consistent, so I ruled out a meter fault, but it's an unreasonable number. Even though I drove over 100km it only showed less than 4000 RPM. So I think it is the signal source problem, but if the TPS fails, it may not be able to drive normally, and a fault message will be generated, but no fault code can be read, and the operation is normal, which bothers me very much.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The error may still be in the instrument cluster. The TPS (Throtlle Position Sensor) is not related to this. The CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) would be the related sensor except that if that where the fault the ECU would have a problem and there would be a problem with the engine running and you would find a #12 error code. Since the bike is running normally I would suspect the the processor in your instrument cluster may be at fault. If it seams like all the other data is normal at the read out and the engine performs normally you could try another instrument cluster.