The Utah "going for a ride" thread

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I end up going for rides after work all the time, and find myself thinking "I wish I had a riding partner." So, since most of our rides are pretty spontaneous, I thought I would start a thread so that we can let each other know when we'll be going so that we can get together and ride!
07FZ6 asked me if I can go this weekend, but I'm pretty busy during the weekends now.
I am planning on a Monday (8/31) ride through Alpine Loop. I would be going sometime after work, I get out about 4:30. The time's pretty flexible, anyone wanna join?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Heading out for ride Thursday, anyone want to join? No real plans for roads/destinations yet. Somewhere twisty and high elevation to get away from this damn heat.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately my new radiator fan won't be here until after Labor Day. :mad: I have no idea what to do this weekend now (well, I have plans on Monday, but that'll be another thread... and video!)

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
We'll ride high altitudes and high speeds, no need for a fan! :rockon:

J/K, hope you have a good weekend!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We'll ride high altitudes and high speeds, no need for a fan! :rockon:
You have no idea how much I've been thinking about how to get out of Ogden with minimum stoplights, and actually do this... ;)

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Did my first ride on rte. 35 to Hanna this weekend. Wow, what an amazing ride. I even rode some dirt road to get to a campsite names Hades. That was the first time I rode the Fazer off-road for more than a mile. I was nervous at first, then I realized it was just fine, as long as I stayed off the front brake. The fall leaves are really starting to change up there too.
I would love to do this ride again sometime soon. I'm out of town the next two weekends, so lets try and get a ride together October 17th.
This should give everyone enough notice to get things lined up. This really is an amazing ride, best one I've done in a while.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Got new tires on, going for a ride tomorrow (Sunday). Never any activity here, but I thought I'd try... Anyone want to come?

EDIT: Scratch that, rain and wind gusts to 45 mph.... No thanks.

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got new tires on, going for a ride tomorrow (Sunday). Never any activity here, but I thought I'd try... Anyone want to come?

EDIT: Scratch that, rain and wind gusts to 45 mph.... No thanks.
I couldn't ride this weekend as I had Reserves duty in Tooele. One nice thing about working with explosives, is you have to quit work when the lightning gets too close :eek: so we're done for the day. :cheer: But, yeah, I won't be riding the rest of the day either, it's nasty out there! :(

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Took a ride today to Hanna on rte. 35. It's such a great ride. Awesome turns for 30+ miles. It was definitely cold, but the only thing that got cold was my hands. I imagine it dipped close to 30, I had frost on the inside of my visor at one point. Totally worth it, such great fun and amazing scenery. If you're looking for a ride, try it.
Got to put some miles on the new Continentals, which take a bit of getting used to. Love these things, much more fun than the BT-021s I had. Hope they get similar mileage.
I might go out again tomorrow, if anyone's interested. Though after 3+ hours in the saddle today, I'm a little tired.

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
Sounds like that ride along route 35 is a good one. I will had to try it sometime. Thanks for the tip. I like to know about good rides that aren't too far away. How late in the year do you usually ride?

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time I won't ride is if there's snow on the road, or cold enough for water to freeze.
I went out one day when it was 25*, road was clean. Came around a turn and the whole road was frozen:eek::eek:, a house must have let water drain out or something.. Nearly killed myself at 30 mph... After that, I realized it's just not worth riding if water can freeze, you just never know.

On a side note, I went out today up East Canyon. Man that road is chewed up right now. Still fun, actually A LOT of fun, especially after the reservoir. There are almost no cars on the road right now. Just some hunters up there for deer season.
Thinking of heading on a ride this weekend, the weather should actually be nice! Anyone wanna come?
Either that or I'm going down to Moab for some Fall bike camping.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
About 4-5 hours. I have yet to ride southern Utah. I know it's a sin, but the great dirt roads there beckon for the Subaru....

LMK if you want to come out, I'll do my best to make it down.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet ride today, but freaking cold! The passes had to be below freezing....

First time on snow...
IMG_2204.jpg

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope you guys have been enjoying these last few days as much as I have. What awesome weather. Have a feeling it won't last much longer...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Friday's the day. The last ride of the year. I'm going to do a nice mellow run through East Canyon and beyond, probably start around 3 or so.
This will be my last ride. Crappy weather is rolling in, it's freakin cold every day now, and I need to get her ready for storage. I thought she could use one last nice ride, washed, waxed, get her filled and stabilized, lubed, connected to the trickle charger, cover her and keep her warm. It's going to be a hard day, but it must be done.
If anyone wants to join me on the ride, you're always welcome.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Friday's the day. The last ride of the year. I'm going to do a nice mellow run through East Canyon and beyond, probably start around 3 or so.
This will be my last ride. Crappy weather is rolling in, it's freakin cold every day now, and I need to get her ready for storage. I thought she could use one last nice ride, washed, waxed, get her filled and stabilized, lubed, connected to the trickle charger, cover her and keep her warm. It's going to be a hard day, but it must be done.
If anyone wants to join me on the ride, you're always welcome.

Unfortunately, I can't join you... here Los Angeles, CA.
But I have few questions about UT weather on November/December.
Would you let me know how the weather conditions would be at the sourthern parts of UT? (if you have some idea)
Zion, Moab, or Mexican Hat regions....specifically.
Snow, Rain, Wind, or Temperatures... ????
Would it be some hard time? or could be enjoyable riding ??
I have a plan in mind to ride up there on this holiday season, but not sure if I could go up and enjoy the ride at this winter time; i'm not that experienced for the harsh weather conditions yet.
Thanks

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet ride today, but freaking cold! The passes had to be below freezing....

First time on snow...
IMG_2204.jpg
Question for you, sir!
Do you not have trouble with the tires slipping out from under you on snow? Last Saturday I rode to work, when I went to lunch a couple hours later it was coming down hard, and starting to stick. I parked her halfway home and took a taxi; my faceshield freezing up was the worst part but the bike felt woozy on the snow too; just would like to know your thoughts/experience. Thanks!