The Utah "going for a ride" thread

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I can't join you... here Los Angeles, CA.
But I have few questions about UT weather on November/December.
Would you let me know how the weather conditions would be at the sourthern parts of UT? (if you have some idea)
Zion, Moab, or Mexican Hat regions....specifically.
Snow, Rain, Wind, or Temperatures... ????
Would it be some hard time? or could be enjoyable riding ??
I have a plan in mind to ride up there on this holiday season, but not sure if I could go up and enjoy the ride at this winter time; i'm not that experienced for the harsh weather conditions yet.
Thanks

Weather down south is as variable as it gets this time of year. I mean, you can have beautiful fall days with temps in the 70's, or you can have snow/sleet and freezing temps. Utah is high up (about 4500 ft at it's lowest) and with that altitude comes very variable weather.

Moab Weather..

This is a pretty normal week, but you just never know. I would plan for October for great weather.

I would NOT ride up in December. There are some passes that will be gnarly. I've seen full on blizzards that were scary in my Subaru, but as soon as I got down a little, sunny skies. That's the nature of the high-altitude desert in the winter. You can get stranded in a cage, while a few miles down the road it's just fine.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Question for you, sir!
Do you not have trouble with the tires slipping out from under you on snow? Last Saturday I rode to work, when I went to lunch a couple hours later it was coming down hard, and starting to stick. I parked her halfway home and took a taxi; my faceshield freezing up was the worst part but the bike felt woozy on the snow too; just would like to know your thoughts/experience. Thanks!

I was on a dirt road, so it's definitely different than on pavement. Still, I was VERY tentative riding as the bike was definitely not stable. The dirt gave it some ability to get a little grip, but it was not easy.
I probably would have done the same thing if I were you. I hit black ice once and it scared the bejeezus out of me. I have no idea how I kept the bike standing. If it's below freezing and there's any precipitation, no freaking way am I riding on the streets.

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Weather down south is as variable as it gets this time of year. I mean, you can have beautiful fall days with temps in the 70's, or you can have snow/sleet and freezing temps. Utah is high up (about 4500 ft at it's lowest) and with that altitude comes very variable weather.

Moab Weather..

This is a pretty normal week, but you just never know. I would plan for October for great weather.

I would NOT ride up in December. There are some passes that will be gnarly. I've seen full on blizzards that were scary in my Subaru, but as soon as I got down a little, sunny skies. That's the nature of the high-altitude desert in the winter. You can get stranded in a cage, while a few miles down the road it's just fine.

Thanks alot.
I changed my mind... ha ha ha
Waiting for the next year.
Let me check far south part of the land...

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man. Just don't want you getting stuck in a storm. Not fun in a cage, life and death on a bike.

So, went for the ride today. In case anyone else was thinking of going up over East Canyon, DON'T.
Holy crap, I almost sheet myself several times. Not cool. On the way up the road seemed ok, the frost heaves were bigger than before, and there was some debris on the road, but no big deal.
Once over the summit. Watch out! Feakin' snow and ice on the road! Yeah, came around a turn and BAM! :jawdrop: I couldn't really get on the brakes too hard so I had to moto-X style through the turn. So freakin scary. The bike was sideways and I was vertical with one foot on the ground. Seriously had to slide the rear tire on the snow in order to keep the bike up. :eek::eek::eek: All downhill.
I pulled over as soon as I was through the turn to take a second. Man, I never want to do that again....
I was in a bit of a dilemma. Turn around and go through it again, uphill, or keep going. I chose to keep going. Bad idea. :spank: More of the same, though this time I was going was slower so no sideways action.
Snow, ice, debris, rocks, huge (3-6") frost heaves, horse chit, and mud.
I am done for the season.
Without the twisties I don't really have a need to ride. So, this weekend she gets the treatment.:blowkiss:

Crax

Reaction score
Visit site
Took a trip from Layton down to Gunnison with the wife his past weekend and stayed at the B&B there and rode back the next day. Pretty good ride overall and some great weather.

Coming up in May, I'm planning on meeting a buddy in scipio and riding down along fish lake hwy and through torrey and hitting US-12 on the way to Escalante for a day or two. Just going to take the Friday off work and planning about 1000 miles in 3 days. May cut some of the last days riding out.

Anyone done Burr trail? Part of it is about 30 miles of dirt I think, but hopefully won't be too bad. I'm thinking of maybe putting some scorpion trails on the bike for this trip.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone in the Northern Utah area that goes riding spontaneously? I'm not sure how many people up here even have an FZ - I've only seen 2 or 3 around.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you talking Logan? SLC has a few FZ6's and I have run into some in Provo canyon as well.

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you talking Logan? SLC has a few FZ6's and I have run into some in Provo canyon as well.

More like Layton to Ogden area. I've spotted a few, but they're always going the opposite direction or don't seem that interested.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Utah peeps! This question is for people in the Provo area. But there is some legal concerns so anyone chime in!

There is a sweet road called Alpine loop that is closed currently but bikes can access it. A coworker is telling me I should totally go ride it on my motorcycle since there will be no cars. The thought sounds fabulous, however i am worried ill get a ticket. I will see if there is a sign posted saying what can enter the gate.

Id love to do it with no cars, for some of the road is like 1 lane or an average sized UK road. :BLAA:

Any thoughts? Seems like it might be tempting fate with the coppers.

More like Layton to Ogden area. I've spotted a few, but they're always going the opposite direction or don't seem that interested.

yeah the only one i see regularly is my brother ;) However when I ride the canyons I see one here and there, were in the slc valley though.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
South Ogden here. I've heard of the Alpine Loop but actually don't know exactly where/what it is. Been hitting Trapper's Loop/North Ogden Pass quite a bit this last weekend (great weather!) albeit it was on my new BMW 1200GS :spank:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Alpine loop is up American fork canyon(Mt Timpanogos) its the Alpine scenic highway, then you come down provo canyon road. Also you can go to heber and PC, Kamas, Strawberry or however long you want to make the ride.

the Alpine scenic highway might be a tad mellow for some riders, sharp switchbacks make it a slower road. Especially when busy with cars. But its a beautiful ride, you go past Sundance and such.

Have you done the Monte Cristo up to Evanston? Ive caught wind that its a great road. Ogden canyon would be fun sometime too.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Baci, I've taken that route and didn't know what it was called, it is beautiful!
Still waiting for Monte Cristo to open, this last Sat-Tues were so warm it may be open by now. :rockon: And now that I have big square boxes on my beemer, I can load up on sin-tax-free wine in Evanston! :thumbup: Although, while I love riding Pig, she's not near as much fun as Fizzer! :BLAA:

Ogden Canyon is great fun to ride, although its under major construction right now and you can sit and wait for awhile (one-way traffic); sometimes you get to meet that cute rider in front of you while waiting... ;)

Timon

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently went on a large cruise with Adrenaline Motorsports (based out of Bountiful), and we hit up Trapper's Loop. Very fun ride!

I was hoping East Canyon would be open up, but it 's still closed as of last weekend. I honestly was thinking of squeezing through the gate myself, but thought the same thing... I'd probably be the one to get caught.

Starting at Ogden canyon, over Trappers Loop, back roads through Morgan, all the way down and around East Canyon, and then either Parley's or Emigration... probably one of the longer rides, but also one of the best.

Botch, we need to meet up sometime and go for a ride. I live about 6 blocks outside of Ogden (technically in Roy). I agree Ogden canyon, it isn't that bad even with the one-way traffic, it's a nice break if you're coming back down.