This Guy is lucky!

Nzero

Reaction score
Visit site
Seen this on Youtube today. This guy is seriously lucky he is still alive.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjN90iHtXcI"]SHOCKING VIDEO: Jack Nicklaus' Grandson Nick O'Leary Survives Scary Motorcycle Crash - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this yesterday and the comments are mostly emotional with little logical thought.

From what I could tell the rider lacked experience. The car driver did what car drivers do. They pull stupid tricks when you least expect it. Inexperienced riders repeat the same scenario by not adjusting to conditions of their surroundings.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw this yesterday and the comments are mostly emotional with little logical thought.

From what I could tell the rider lacked experience. The car driver did what car drivers do. They pull stupid tricks when you least expect it. Inexperienced riders repeat the same scenario by not adjusting to conditions of their surroundings.

+1. 100% preventable by the rider.. not to mention easily preventable. That shouldn't even have been a close call. Hopefully one of the following will happen: 1. He'll stop riding.
2. He'll realize that he needs to learn to ride properly on the street (apply strategy), take (or re-take) the course and pay attention.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused. What should the rider have done? The road was completely blocked off by the car and the bus. He didn't seem to be moving at a ridiculous speed based on the white car's speed. Maybe a bit faster, but not squid-like.

Ragnar

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess his biggest mistake in the eyes of some was not being born with tons of experience. I hope he'll be alright.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm confused. What should the rider have done? The road was completely blocked off by the car and the bus. He didn't seem to be moving at a ridiculous speed based on the white car's speed. Maybe a bit faster, but not squid-like.

You can see the car creep its way into the rider's path very slowly WAY before the rider gets there. The rider should be spotting intersections well in advance. He should always assume that a car approaching an intersection will not see him.

This is a case of rider saying to himself "I have the right of way.. there's no way that car's going to pull out".. he seems to have that mind set till the moment of impact.

This has nothing to do with riding experience. He should have learned how to scan for factors before he ever swung his leg over a motorcycle (this is taught in MSF and those who pay attention are the ones who go on to have long and enjoyable motorcycling careers).

I don't mean to offend anyone by my replies hear and I'm sorry if they sound harsh, but if it's not obvious to you why the rider in this video crashed and if you think lack of riding experience is what made him crash, please consider taking a refresher course (BRC2) or at the very least re-read the BRC book (day 2 - street strategies).

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta agree, this was totally preventable. I was told way back in 1973 when I got my M/C endorsement to assume no car sees you. Too many drivers look and if they don't see a car or truck, they don't see anything. It sucks, but it's always been that way and if it ain't changed by now, well.....

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
You can see the car creep its way into the rider's path very slowly WAY before the rider gets there. The rider should be spotting intersections well in advance. He should always assume that a car approaching an intersection will not see him.

This is a case of rider saying to himself "I have the right of way.. there's no way that car's going to pull out".. he seems to have that mind set till the moment of impact.

I guess that's true. I turned mostly invisible back in 2000 when I chose a Miata as my daily driver. I don't even really have to think about it now. Not to hijack, but loud pipes seem to have made a significant difference in people paying attention. Since I put on my cans, I've had far fewer cars try to take me out, but I do always assume they're going to do something stupid anyway.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
..loud pipes seem to have made a significant difference in people paying attention. Since I put on my cans, I've had far fewer cars try to take me out, but I do always assume they're going to do something stupid anyway.

Exactly right. Loud pipes do NOT save lives. They're stacking the odds in your favor by possibly making you more noticeable. As long as you don't count on them to be a magical "everyone will see me now" tool, it's a good thing. Continue assuming that each and every thing on the road that can move will do the stupidest possible thing it can do, and you should never find yourself in a crash like the rider in above video.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess his biggest mistake in the eyes of some was not being born with tons of experience. I hope he'll be alright.

I apologize if I sound harsh or uncaring or like I agree that the driver was in the right. I do care and I know the driver was in the wrong.

What doesn't change is the rider seems to be inexperienced. That to me equates to knowledge learned at a motorcycle safety class and/or riding. It could very well be the rider was distracted and never had time to react.

Psychologically speaking I have to be the one always most responsible for my safety. If you think about it, it gives me the most power in regard to my safety. I'm not allowing the person in the cage or road condition to have rein over my safety and well being. Does that mean others are justified in their unsafe behavior? NO!

I've been hurt pretty bad in bike related crashes. There were other elements that if not there, would have eliminated the crash. Those elements whether sand, silt, squirrels or idiots, will always exist. My lack of experience and education added to those unexpected conditions equal me going down.

Broken ribs or worse are a higher price than an accredited MC safety course.
Learning from caring, experienced riders is very important!

Although I may sound harsh and uncaring, I'm not and I expect my friends and forum members to have a greater goal in their safety and enjoyment as riders, taking the most responsibility in their own safety. This means looking at yourself as the primary factor in these events.

Gravity and mass inertia remain the same no matter what our experience in life is. My attitude to those forces has a lot to do with my experience in life...:)

Last edited:

sloring

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

You're both right. The rider didn't do anything wrong. I love how people automatically call him a squid.

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're both right. The rider didn't do anything wrong. I love how people automatically call him a squid.

I don't think the rider did anything wrong per se, but it doesn't take "tons of experience" to anticipate someone pulling out in front of you.

And as for loud pipes being safer, not necessarily. I used to have an old International Scout with lakeside pipes that would wake the dead and had an old lady in a Pinto take a left in front of me to where I couldn't avoid t-boning her. (She told the cops she didn't see me) Was I at fault? Nope. Could I have avoided things if I had anticipated her pulling in front of me? You bet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I never saw squid in the equation.

Let's look again! Lol! :)
einstein-equations-chalkboard.jpg

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
The driver was pulling out to hand that kid his bus money in the middle of the road. :rolleyes: She claims not to have seen the rider come from over a hill and around a bend, and that he was speeding. The rider fortunately walked away.

Driver of Lexus in Nick O'Leary's motorcycle crash gives her side of the story - Tomahawk Nation

From the video, it appears the rider had at least two seconds to react after coming around that bend. IMO, enough time to cover the brake and horn, look for an escape route, and use them. It would be hard not to notice the stopped bus even from a distance. A black car behind a fence, maybe.

Driver's view:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2616...N5AsI_mDbHNcNzvVZY6O4g&cbp=12,105.62,,0,-8.41

Rider's view:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2616...5KHqK1DEKllXV0S3ToxaKA&cbp=12,283.52,,0,14.71

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The driver was pulling out to hand that kid his bus money in the middle of the road. :rolleyes: She claims not to have seen the rider come from over a hill and around a bend, and that he was speeding. The rider fortunately walked away.

Driver of Lexus in Nick O'Leary's motorcycle crash gives her side of the story - Tomahawk Nation

From the video, it appears the rider had at least two seconds to react after coming around that bend. IMO, enough time to cover the brake and horn, look for an escape route, and use them. It would be hard not to notice the stopped bus even from a distance. A black car behind a fence, maybe.

Driver's view:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2616...N5AsI_mDbHNcNzvVZY6O4g&cbp=12,105.62,,0,-8.41

Rider's view:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2616...5KHqK1DEKllXV0S3ToxaKA&cbp=12,283.52,,0,14.71

Thank you! The comments are hilarious! :rof::rof::rof:

Yes the lady driving the car was totally wrong.
That's what I as a rider expect drivers to do.
I was sorry to see him in that situation but I feel he could have avoided it if he were more alert to his surroundings.

When I pull out of a parking lot that's in a turn (rare) I expect a bike to be hauling in the turn and it has happened to me. Lucky for the rider I expected it and saw him coming and hugged the shoulder so he could get around.

Redwolf35

Reaction score
Visit site
It really doesn't matter how big or small the vehicle you're driving or riding is....you need to ALWAYS assume the other drivers are not going to see you. I ride my FZ6 every day to work, and I work I go from riding one of the smallest vehicles on the road, to driving one of the largest on the road...an 18 wheeler. No matter what vehicle I'm in, people do stupid stuff in front of me all the time. When I'm on my bike, it's usually because they don't see me, even though I'm wearing a bright yellow reflective vest. When I'm in the truck, it's usually because they're trying to "beat" me through the intersection so they don't get stuck behind me. Always assume another driver is going to do something stupid......

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, hope the guy is going to be ok.

What the fark was the driver trying to do there! He's pulling out at an angle that makes him/her appear as if they're turning right yet the car pulls all the way into the opposite lane completely blocking both lanes and an potential escape route for the rider. With that bus there, it certainly would have made lane splitting "hairy" at the least, but at least it would have been an option. As it is, I didn't see where the car's tires were pointed back to the left like it was trying to make a left turn. Just a dumb arse that appears to almost be doing it on purpose. Doubtful I know, but that's what it looks like.

OTOH, the kid that got off the bus is wearing a hoodie and that's just asking for trouble. :D

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe the driver should have took a driving course. Lazy ass people can't even walk across the street they put their cars right in the middle of the road. Sure, he may have "had" time to maneuver or stop. But since I've never had this happen before I cannot speak for him as most of use would have probably reacted in the same way.

We blame riders for inexperience, and just chalk I up as a stupid driver. Well if was going down a two land highway, a drunk driver at the last second falls asleep, over compensates and hits me head on and kills me is it my fault that I was so inexperienced I couldn't tell a passed out driver through my visor and his window? NO it's his fault for making that choice to get in his car inebriated and drive. HIS CHOICE.

Last edited: