This is what happens when you overfill your bike

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I had to siphon it out with a straw.....
o.JPG

Ummm yummy. Want a drink?! :eek:
oo.JPG

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On my first oil change, I put the bike on the side stand to check oil.

Now, as you all know, you check it standing up, so it was seriously overfull.

I just put my catchtray under the bike again, unscrewed the oil drain plug, but kept pressure on it against the bike.

As such, I could release a little pressure and let a bit out until I had emptied enough.

If you lose a little too much, just top it back up with new. (but this shouldn't be a problem, as it only comes out very slowly, unless you release pressure.)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ I did the exact same thing. I tilted the bike with the dipstick out to drain it. Had a friend help with the tilting to be safe.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I filled it up to the top mark, went for a 20 min ride, and then checked the oil level after 10 minutes. The level was above the max mark. I waited another 15minutes or so to make sure it wasn't the heat expansion of oil.....it was still at the max mark. I guess some old oil still in the engine mixed with the new oil....I dunno.

Anyways, it's slightly above the middle so even with heat expansion/whatever I should still be good.

Oh btw, the ktm has a magnetic drain plug, 2 oil filters and 2 oil screens. The strongly recommended oil is 2 liters of Motorex Cross Power 4T 10W-60. It's $16 a liter.
The Austrians take their oil very seriously I guess.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez, 2 of everything! Whats your interval between changes? If its more miles then maybe it equals out.

I did find metal shavings in the oil screens and magnetic drain plug, so I guess they know what they're doing....

The oil changes are at 6,000 miles, I believe. Valve adjustments at 12k mi.
Very reasonable for a high-performance thumper that is 320lbs wet.

The maintenance isn't as high as a dirt bike, where you change the oil after every weekend ride. This bike can do a lot of what a dirtbike can do, though! A friend with the same bike told me that it can do 90% of the Hatfield McCoy trails in WV. I'm going there in the fall. :rockon: It's too dang hot now.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
recommended oil is 2 liters of Motorex Cross Power 4T 10W-60. It's $16 a liter.
The Austrians take their oil very seriously I guess.

I use Motull 7100 10W/40 in my bike. Change it religiously a bit before or at 5000kms (3000mi) and it costs $96 for 5L!

I WISH it was only $16/L!

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

jresch10

Sarcastic American
Reaction score
Visit site
I overfilled mine once and used the pump from a bottle of hand soap. Stuck it in the dipstick hole and pumped out the excess oil.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously guys, next time you do an oil change, see how much control you have when doing it the way I recommend.

I crack the tension with a ratchet, and then just hand unscrew the sump bung with a 17mm socket and extension.

Slow down the turning when almost out and add a little pressure against the bike.

When it's unscrewed fully, holding it against the bike, it will only drip very, very slowly - release the pressure against the bike and let a bit out.

This is fine to do on the centre stand, so when you've let a bit out, hand tighten the sump bung with socket and extension and check the level.
Once the level is perfect, just tighten the sump bung to spec and job done!

SO much easier than trying to syphon it out!

Cheers,
Rick

Edit: Maybe I should make a movie showing you all how easy it is!

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if I put to much oil in will it come out of engine breather

possibly, but if you have that much oil in then engine damage might be a possibility

also the breather recirculates the oil, it's not like the petrol one which will allow petrol to drip out