Throttle body sync

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
This is using a Morgan Carb Tune.
First warm up the engine and then prop up the tank. It can be done without removing the faring inserts but there are just 2 screws holding them and you don't need to stretch anything to raise the tank.
Its hard to see in the photo but the Carb tune is hanging from the left grip.
P1020920.jpg

Hook up the hoses, there are 2 plugged vacuum hoses on each side, the ones with the purple spot is number 1 on the left side and number 4 on the right.
I didn't have the correct adapter for the FZ's hoses so I just used some 5/32 OD brass tubing and some wire ties to keep it in place, it fit the FZ's hoses just fine but was a little loose on the Carb tune.
P1020918.jpg

These are the adjustment screws, do not mess with number 1 as it is the one you adjust the others to. If you can't see the numbers it is 1 top left, 2 bottom left, 3 top right and 4 bottom right.
P1020922.jpg

Just adjust a little at a time and get as close as you can to the number 1 reading. Make sure the engine is up to operating temp as the readings will vary as the engine warms up. Also rev the engine to 4-5k and watch the readings to make sure they stay about the same.
P1020917.jpg

That's about all there is to it, just make sure nothing is kinked or pinched when you put the tank in place and then ride off knowing you saved even more money by doing it yourself and you know the job is done right:thumbup:

Jerry

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I forgot to add that you should adjust the idle to spec after doing the sync, the idle adjust screw is on the left side of the throttle body sync block. You can see it just below the green plug in the back of the airbox. Its the one with the spring on it.
P1020920copy-1.jpg

Jerry

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got one of those TB syncs with the blue water in the tubes but it's evaporating. Mybe I can fill it with some Tidy Bowl! :eek::rockon::spank:

Thanks for the walk through Jerry! :thumbup::rockon:

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Thanks Jerry! I should probably check mine...I'm approaching 25k miles. :D

I did find that my mirrors vibrate less at 80-85mph after the sync, so it seems to help lessen the vibes.
I can loan you the Carb tune if you don't have one or you can bring your bike to the house when ever you feel like a bit of a ride:D

Jerry

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I've got one of those TB syncs with the blue water in the tubes but it's evaporating. Mybe I can fill it with some Tidy Bowl! :eek::rockon::spank:

Thanks for the walk through Jerry! :thumbup::rockon:

LOL, tidy bowl. That will clean the crap out of your bike if you suck it out of your sync tool, ha ha.

Jerry

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Just wondering about how long this took? Sounds like a great after work project but I'm a shade tree guy. Need the sun to help me out.

jwhelan

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the article and pics! I ordered my carbtune last week. Expecting it to arrive any day now. This article will save me a lot of time trying to figure out some of the details.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent write up/pic's!

The only thing I would add is to place a fan in front of the bike to keep it from over heating/fumes, etc.. Also, +1 on re-checking/adjusting the sync at 4k....

I also have the same Carbtune, works great!

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my Throttle body sync a couple time,but somehow,I can't get straight across the four bars as the rev goes up.

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
I have my Throttle body sync a couple time,but somehow,I can't get straight across the four bars as the rev goes up.

What I try and do is to hold the rpm's between 4-5k and note the readings then let it idle and adjust the one that was off, I figure if its a little off at idle it won't matter as I'm not at idle for to long:D I didn't get mine perfect and it still is smoother that before.

Jerry

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know this is an old post, but has anyone ever done this with a single meter? Obviously it'd be painfully slow but get a reading from each, tweak and shift the hoses about? If one impacts the idle speed too much I see it taking a long time but I was thinking they should all read pretty close.

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know of any auto parts stores that might rent out the carbtune or a tb sync tool? Dont feel like dropping $$$ on a tool I'll only use once or twice.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks very much for clarifying this dark art.
What do you do if #1 is way off?
Is there a baseline guide for #1 in the destruction manual?

Nelly