Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Throttle Position Sensor Issues (Are you Experiencing Poor Idle/Mileage, or Stalls?)

What are the Symptoms of a Faulty TPS?
  • Stalling
  • Irregual idle
  • RPM Drop while acclerating or trying to maintain a constand speed.
  • Drop in fuel Mileage
  • Poor Throttle Response
Originally Posted by Megatron on sportbikes.net
To check the TPS values, you have to press and hold SELECT + RESET, then turn the key and keep them pressed for 8 more seconds.

It'll appear dIAg on the display, you can release them now. Afterwards use select until you see a d01 (Diagnostic Mode for the TPS)

Then it should read between 15 and 17 if the throttle is closed,
With the throttle fully open, it should read between 97 and 100.

If the values are over or below those I mentioned, the TPS should be replaced.

To leave the dIAG mode, simply turn the key counter clockwise.

For more discussion on testing TPS, see this post:
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...&postcount=247

sizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Stalling issues

I've recently bought an 06 fazer (new).
In that time it has stalled twice, both at low speed.
Once from first to second gear pulling away from traffic lights and secondly changing down from second to first pulling onto my drive. Do you think it could be the TPS?
It also , when rolling off the throttle to change gear and then rolling back on the throttle has a delay before the gas comes on, is this normal.

Cheers

Sizer

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

I dont really know what normal is yet. LOL
I have a 07 and mine does not do either of the things you are describing at all.
It is extremely smooth to me. (understand my only other experince is on dirt bikes, and a 250cc Ninja 05 model)
So what feels like heaven to me, may feel like a clunker to someone else.

sizer

Reaction score
Visit site
booked in

Spoke to the Yam dealership that I bought my bike from today and they suspect that it might be the TPS so I've got it booked in for Thursday.
I'll let you know the outcome.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tps

I did the diagnostic on my bike and it passed..... WHEW!!... By brother inlaws 2004 FZ6 had to have the tps changed..

Dennis

sizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Got my bike back, the tps checked out but did need adjusting.Also had the injectors balanced. Just have to wait and see if the stalling returns.

vindiesel6

Reaction score
Visit site
How can you change the Idle RPM? Can this be done in the diagnostic mode? My 2004 FZ6 sometimes stalls at idle or when you blip the throttle. On my old XT225 there was an idle screw you could just turn but the FZ6 is Fuel injected, I am new to EFI bikes. Maybe I just need to run some injector cleaner through it...

sizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Idle Speed

The engine idling adj screw is situated between the tank and the frame on the left hand side of the bike. (If you are sat on it)

1. Start the engine and let it warm up for several
minutes.
2. Check:
 engine idling speed
Out of specification  Adjust.
Engine idling speed
1250  1350 r/min
3. Adjust:
 engine idling speed
a. Turn the idle adjusting screw 1 in direction
a or b until the specified engine idling
speed is obtained.
Direction (clockwise) Engine idling speed is
increased.
Direction (anticlockwise) Engine idling speed is
decreased.
Its something I'm going to look at as my tickover is 1140

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps this is already posted somewhere on here but I didn't see it so I thought I would share since its a VERY important safety issue. If you go to the Yamaha website or the NHTSA website, you can view the factory recalls (or what they call modifications). It turns out that the 04 and some 05 FZ-6 models have a recall for the TPS. So, if you have one of those models you can or should have it replaced free of charge. Call your local dealer for an appointment.

MIne had the symptoms you mentioned in the postings below. The stalling at low RPMs (at or approaching lights and stop signs), poor gas mileage (30 mph or so), etc.

My appointment is for next week but assume all will be well after that.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
mine idles at a hair over 1000 and it runs great and does not seem to want to stall at all... in fact it wants to GO GO GO...

Sorry for the Go go go... it was lame...

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
following the instructions in post 1 i get diag then when i release the two buttons and press select i get c0, pressing select again toggles it back to diag. has anyone carried out this check successfully :confused:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has just gone bad.

On my florida trip the idle went nuts. I was always adjusting it.
Then last weekend I had to turn the idle screw all the way in and it just would idle and when you rev it up it was pouring out black smoke. You will know if its bad... trust me.

-bryan

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Stalling issues

I've recently bought an 06 fazer (new).
In that time it has stalled twice, both at low speed.
Once from first to second gear pulling away from traffic lights and secondly changing down from second to first pulling onto my drive. Do you think it could be the TPS?
It also , when rolling off the throttle to change gear and then rolling back on the throttle has a delay before the gas comes on, is this normal.

Cheers

Sizer
Same thing has happened to a few of us. Adjust your idel speed up to 1250rpm. It really helps. Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
following the instructions in post 1 i get diag then when i release the two buttons and press select i get c0, pressing select again toggles it back to diag. has anyone carried out this check successfully :confused:
Im going to try tomorrow mate will let you know.

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps this is already posted somewhere on here but I didn't see it so I thought I would share since its a VERY important safety issue. If you go to the Yamaha website or the NHTSA website, you can view the factory recalls (or what they call modifications). It turns out that the 04 and some 05 FZ-6 models have a recall for the TPS. So, if you have one of those models you can or should have it replaced free of charge. Call your local dealer for an appointment.

MIne had the symptoms you mentioned in the postings below. The stalling at low RPMs (at or approaching lights and stop signs), poor gas mileage (30 mph or so), etc.

My appointment is for next week but assume all will be well after that.
Thanks my friend,
This is possibly one of the most useful replys I have read. Can you poat a link for the Yamaha recall site please?

Neil

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine changed in early 2007....huge improvement. The bike was trouble free for the first 10,000 miles and then all the sudden on a hot and humid day it started acting up really bad at closed throttle. No issues since. I got the lockwasher recall done at the same time....all free.